Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are We Too Big and Dumb for Democracy?

Inspired by MB's thread on James Madison...

Are we too big (300 million plus, infinite religions, languages, ethnicities, regions, races, politics, values, desires, incomes, etc.) and too dumb (most Americans can't name their rep in Congress) for any kind of democracy or even republic?

Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. Voters aren't THAT dumb. It depends on the day.

I think America is too big to be a meaningful nation, though. It should be broken into a few smaller countries.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could add complacent to the list. The voter turnout is pitifull. Imagine if the voting populace actually held elected officals accountable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post

Are we too big (300 million plus, infinite religions, languages, ethnicities, regions, races, politics, values, desires, incomes, etc.) and too dumb (most Americans can't name their rep in Congress) for any kind of democracy or even republic?

Sometimes I think yes, sometimes no. Voters aren't THAT dumb. It depends on the day.

I think America is too big to be a meaningful nation, though. It should be broken into a few smaller countries.
    We could split it into New England, the Southern Confederacy, Florida, Texas, the Midlands and then the California territories could comprise just about everything west of the Rockies. Then we could form an EU-like governing body. That would be better. I'd move the hell out of the Southern Confederacy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

go Midlands! we rules and gots corn! yah! eat it biznatches!

but i could see something like that actually kinda working. would we just become America then instead of United States (apprently)? and how would we do military?
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    go Midlands! we rules and gots corn! yah! eat it biznatches!

but i could see something like that actually kinda working. would we just become America then instead of United States (apprently)? and how would we do military?
    As for the military the Liberal coast would be screwed since the vast majority of the military is form the heartland and southern US. So I would say the Libs on the coast should start being very nice to the south and midlands...
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    As for the military the Liberal coast would be screwed since the vast majority of the military is form the heartland and southern US. So I would say the Libs on the coast should start being very nice to the south and midlands...
    True. The snooties in the big cities might have to kiss a little redneck ass to save their own asses.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd move right back to Texas, sans any EU-type agreement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post

The nation is not too big to be unified. A person could make jokes all day as to how smart the voters are. The original intent was to have little countries called states. With a main body to protect against invasion or commerce being hijacked on the high seas. That would promote interstate commerce by printing a currency to be used in all states that had a stable and backed value.
    Over the years we have allowed and at times required the main body to force some of the states to accept certain actions that the individual state may not want to. And these were done to ensure tranquility for all.
    Now these states resent the main body but still need the protection it can afford from outside evil.
    Unification almost happened in 2001. It will take an event like that again to possibly bring the individual to understand that united we stand, divided we are falling.
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gee, here's a thought....

Why don't we abolish all the Supreme Court decisions that have changed the Constitution, go back to actually using the Constitution, let the states go back to governing themselves, and just keep the country the way it is instead of splitting into sections.

It just might work, especially considering it worked fine for almost 200 years before people started screwing around with stuff.
    "The most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective. Possibly drastic and Spartan methods may be forced upon American society if it continues complacently to encourage the chance and chaotic breeding that has resulted from our stupid, cruel sentimentalism." - From The Pivot of Civilization by Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAteWorld View Post
    Gee, here's a thought....

Why don't we abolish all the Supreme Court decisions that have changed the Constitution, go back to actually using the Constitution, let the states go back to governing themselves, and just keep the country the way it is instead of splitting into sections.

It just might work, especially considering it worked fine for almost 200 years before people started screwing around with stuff.
    ..I don't knooow. Seems like an awfully radical solution to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    ..I don't knooow. Seems like an awfully radical solution to me.
    Ain't it though.
    "The most urgent problem today is how to limit and discourage the over-fertility of the mentally and physically defective. Possibly drastic and Spartan methods may be forced upon American society if it continues complacently to encourage the chance and chaotic breeding that has resulted from our stupid, cruel sentimentalism." - From The Pivot of Civilization by Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood.