Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Garland urges Abbott to undo executive order aimed at curbing migration

By MAEVE SHEEHEY
    07/29/2021 05:16 PM EDT

Attorney General Merrick Garland urged Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to reverse his day-old executive order that aims to restrict migration at the border following a rise in Covid-19 cases.
    The attorney general called Abbott’s order “both dangerous and unlawful” in a Thursday letter to the governor. “The Order violates federal law in numerous respects, and Texas cannot lawfully enforce the Executive Order against any federal official or private parties working with the United States,” Garland wrote.

The executive order, issued Wednesday, had the stated intention of “restricting ground transportation of migrants who pose a risk of carrying COVID-19 into Texas communities.” In it, Abbott ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety to stop and reroute vehicles suspected of violations.

Garland's letter also said Texas does not have authority to interfere with the federal government’s “broad, undoubted power over the subject of immigration.” The Texas governor, a potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate, has clashed with the U.S. government in the past on the topic of immigration, repeatedly berating the Biden administration’s border policies and recently saying the state will build a border wall on its own.
    In the letter, Garland said if Abbott does not immediately rescind the order, the U.S. “intends to pursue all appropriate legal remedies to ensure that Texas does not interfere with the functions of the federal government.”
    Among Garland’s stated concerns were that the order would jeopardize the health and safety of noncitizens in U.S. custody, that it would contribute to overcrowding in border facilities and that it would interfere with implementing federal immigration policy.
    Betsy Woodruff Swan contributed to this report.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...gration-501667

That came out weird. This is going to be interesting. I'm laughing at the audacity of Garland to cite US law about governance of the Texas-Mexico border which also happens to be the US border. The US Border Patrol is currently carrying out unlawful orders allowing illegal immigrants into the US. Via Texas.

I'm REAL interested in Abbott's response.

Besides THAT, remember a year and half ago when I was the one all for Trump using Federal force in Seattle, Portland and Michigan? No, he can't do that My response was the Dems sure as Hell haven't hesitated. So now we got Garland flexing Federal muscle against someone trying to enforce the law.

I'd tell him to fuck off and get his shit out of my State if they can't do their job and enforce the law. but that's just how I am

Last edited by Gunny; 07-29-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default GARLAND IS AN IDIOT and totally WRONG.

IMMIGRATION in TEXAS and any other state in the Union is the Responsibility of the GOVERNOR of each state.
    https://www.boundless.com/blog/u-s-c...n-immigration/
    In Article I, Section 8, the U.S. Constitution grants Congress the responsibility “To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization,” determining how immigrants can become citizens. Despite this charge, many states enacted their own immigration policies during the Republic’s early years. According to the University of California, Irvine law professor Jennifer Chacon, “for the first century of the United States’ existence, many states enacted laws regulating and controlling immigration into their own borders. Various states passed laws aimed at preventing a variety of populations from entering the borders of their states, including individuals with criminal records, people reliant on public assistance, slaves, and free blacks.”

GARLAND and his DOJ are overstepping the law, just like his SLEEPY BOSS Joe.

2nd....Since the late 19th century, the U.S. Supreme court has consistently backed the federal immigration regulations against constitutional challenges. Still, Chacon writes, “Notwithstanding the letter of the law, federal immigration law is always mediated by powerful intervening forces at the state and local level.”
    Last edited by icansayit; 07-29-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

3. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Abbott's response was pretty much what I posted above. You're not doing your job which is causing an emergency in our State so we are going to do it for you.
    Last edited by Gunny; 07-30-2021 at 08:22 PM.

5. Likes icansayit liked this post