Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    It wasn't SQL related, or I would have been dispatched error emails. Did you get an error message, or the board just wouldn't load?

Likely the server was under maintenance, rebooted or other sites brought the server down. I'll be monitoring...
    The board wouldn't load for me about 3 times today. Took me about an hour before it came up 2-nite. When it doesn't, I get the MSN "Can't Find Server" page.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its jewish plot to keep adolph from posting the truth. They've tracked him down.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am just now able to get the board...9:07 pm., and I've been off work today and started trying around noon off and on all day...

Same thing for yesterday...

I was so worried about it, I hunted down poor John at his board...

I hope the kinks get worked out soon....I CANT STAND being without it for that long of a time....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Its jewish plot to keep adolph from posting the truth. They've tracked him down.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Evil Guest

Ok Just talked to Jim regarding this issue, and it would appear that some can get on when others can't. Jim can probably give a better explanation for this but in short the board server was switched to a different one therefore requiring some propogating again. This should be about done if not already but should anymore problems persists the majority of you know my site, and can check in with me there if you can't get on here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I left for NY yesterday afternoon and all was fine. John called me last night to say the board wouldn't load and that others were having the same issue. Of course when I checked from there it loaded fine.

There 'shouldn't be any propagating issues left. 2 days ago the whole account was moved to another server with my provider. This changed the IP of the site but shouldn't have affected users reaching the site via domain name. Should problems continue, I will escalate with my provider to ensure DNS is fully setup properly.

PLEASE post in this thread if you experience any more issues.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I left for NY yesterday afternoon and all was fine. John called me last night to say the board wouldn't load and that others were having the same issue. Of course when I checked from there it loaded fine.

There 'shouldn't be any propagating issues left. 2 days ago the whole account was moved to another server with my provider. This changed the IP of the site but shouldn't have affected users reaching the site via domain name. Should problems continue, I will escalate with my provider to ensure DNS is fully setup properly.

PLEASE post in this thread if you experience any more issues.

Thanks!
    The DNS (domain name server) maps the domain name to the IP address, so if there is a DNS issue, you should be able to access this site via its IP address....

I just tried it and it worked here's how

1. open a command window on your workstation
    2. type "ping www.debatepolicy.com", this will return an IP address. For those who aren't familiar with , an IP address consists of four numbers, each separated by a single dot, like so => 69.73.190.190. If you get a "request timed out" message, ignore it, just look for the IP address that is returned.
    3. Enter the following in the address bar of your browser:
    http://<IP< a> IP address you obtained in step 2

example: http://69.73.190.190

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    The DNS (domain name server) maps the domain name to the IP address, so if there is a DNS issue, you should be able to access this site via its IP address....

I just tried it and it worked here's how

1. open a command window on your workstation
    2. type "ping www.debatepolicy.com", this will return an IP address. For those who aren't familiar with , an IP address consists of four numbers, each separated by a single dot, like so => 69.73.190.190. If you get a "request timed out" message, ignore it, just look for the IP address that is returned.
    3. Enter the following in the address bar of your browser:
    http://<ip>< a> IP address you obtained in step 2

example: http://69.73.190.190
    Excellent info to share, and that is the new IP! What's the odds that someone will save the info, and try that when they can't get here via domain name? At least that would confirm if it was a DNS issue or not!

Btw- Just wanted to stress again that nobody should ever bookmark and return to the site as an IP address - because as you can see they sometimes change! Great for troubleshooting though!
    </ip>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Excellent info to share, and that is the new IP! What's the odds that someone will save the info, and try that when they can't get here via domain name? At least that would confirm if it was a DNS issue or not!

Btw- Just wanted to stress again that nobody should ever bookmark and return to the site as an IP address - because as you can see they sometimes change! Great for troubleshooting though!
    </IP>
    An IP address is like your server's telephone number on the internet... the difference between it and a phone number is that if your app moves to a different server, you can't take your old IP address with you....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

An IP address is like your server's telephone number on the internet... the difference between it and a phone number is that if your app moves to a different server, you can't take your old IP address with you....
    I don't have access to levels of the server, and can't make DNS changes there myself. Any idea to get a list of all the dns settings and ensure they're correct? This place has been great with me for so long but this change was a little confusing. It's still the account from the old usmb but they just changed it up to reflect this domain now. I'm just wondering if something was missed somewhere. It's also odd that it seems some have the issue, it goes away, and then comes back - to me that's not indicative of DNS but rather a server issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I don't have access to levels of the server, and can't make DNS changes there myself. Any idea to get a list of all the dns settings and ensure they're correct? This place has been great with me for so long but this change was a little confusing. It's still the account from the old usmb but they just changed it up to reflect this domain now. I'm just wondering if something was missed somewhere. It's also odd that it seems some have the issue, it goes away, and then comes back - to me that's not indicative of DNS but rather a server issue.
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. My guess, though, is that type of access is restricted to the DNS administrator only.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. My guess, though, is that type of access is restricted to the DNS administrator only.
    Damn, and he's probably in India!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just had the same problem as before...Just now able to get on 9:18. Last night the same thing....And last night the site went down on me at 1:37am..
    And I couldn't get on all day except for now...This has been happening all week..

Is this just me...? Or something with the board??

Aaaaaaahhaaaaaaa...I can't take much more....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Steph,

Copy this address and save it for future use:

http://69.73.190.190

Should you not be able to access the site again, try that address and let me know if it works.

Do you get any errors? What exactly happens?

Anyone else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

here's a strange development... I'm currently logged on to work via a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and have access to my home connection at the same time. I can log into this site using the IP address through VPN, but if I use the www.debatepolicy.com URL, it hangs. However, I can use the domain name through my home connection... perhaps the DNS change hasn't propagated through the Internet.