Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default Taliban Holds Up Glenn Beck Group's Planes; At Least 100 Americans Among Passengers

Newsweek
    Newsweek
    Taliban Holds Up Glenn Beck Group's Planes; At Least 100 Americans Among Passengers
    Naveed Jamali - Sunday

Six private charter planes seeking to evacuate 1,600 people—including more than 100 Americans—out of Afghanistan have been grounded by the Taliban amid negotiations with the U.S. State Department, an official with an NGO working on the evacuation told Newsweek.

The would-be passengers have yet to board the planes in the city of Mazar-i-Sharif, which were chartered by the Nazarene Fund and Mercury One charity, both founded by Christian conservative media personality Glenn Beck.

Three other evacuation flights—two on a plane chartered by international development organization Sayara, and one by Goldbelt, Inc., an Alaska Native corporation—set to carry at least 19 Americans and an unspecified number of Afghans have also been grounded by the Taliban awaiting clearance, a second senior NGO official told Newsweek.

Funded entirely with private money, the Mercury One rescue mission chartered six planes—two Airbus 340s and four Boeing 737s—from Kam Air, the largest private Afghan airline, for eight evacuation flights to a Gulf state. The other three flights with Sayora and Goldbelt were also chartered from Kam Air but their intended destination is currently unclear.

The Bold and the Beautiful - My Mother
    Both NGO officials said the Taliban grounded the flights amid a breakdown in negotiations with the State Department, with one adding that the Taliban could be attempting to "shake down" the airline or State Department for money in exchange for takeoff clearance.

Negotiations between the Taliban and State Department have been "stuck at this point" so the Taliban has not "granted final clearance" for the flights, the second official said, adding that U.S. negotiations with the Taliban to grant private planes clearance to depart have dragged on for at least days while evacuees remained in hiding.

Earlier reports indicated that there were hundreds of Afghans, many of whom did not have visas or passports, on board the flights, with Representative Michael McCaul describing the incident as a "hostage situation." White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain told CNN Sunday that "around 100" U.S. citizens were still in Afghanistan.

Both NGO officials rejected the "hostage" description but told Newsweek that the passengers include at least 142 Americans—123 with the Mercury One-funded flights and at least 19 with the flights chartered by Sayara and Goldbelt.

"The planes are currently empty and its passengers are still waiting in their safe houses for clearance for takeoff from the Taliban," the first NGO official said. "I have 1,600 plus people on the master manifest that want to fly, of which 123 are Americans and the rest are Special Immigration Visas."

The evacuation flights cost the Nazarene Fund and Mercury One charity $750,000 each, the first NGO official said.

Officials associated with the NGOs said they have refrained from negotiating directly with the Taliban as the Foreign Corruption Practices Act of 1977 "prohibits U.S. citizens and entities from bribing foreign government officials to benefit their business interests."

With help from donors, the Nazarene Fund and Mercury One reportedly raised more than $28 million to help evacuate Christians and other vulnerable religious minorities from Afghanistan. Beck shared a photo of a plane on a tarmac to Instagram on August 26, writing "one of the last planes to leave #kabul before the bombings."

The State Department did not respond to Newsweek's request for comment Sunday evening. However, earlier today a State Department spokesperson told Newsweek that it could not confirm whether Americans were attempting to evacuate aboard the chartered aircraft due to a lack of resources and personnel in Afghanistan.

"We do not have personnel on the ground, we do not have air assets in the country, we do not control the airspace—whether over Afghanistan or elsewhere in the region," the spokesperson said, adding that it remains "prepared to help" U.S. citizens and Afghan refugees.

The two-decade U.S.-led war in Afghanistan came to a close as the final military plane departed the Taliban-ruled international airport in Kabul on August 30. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said there's "no deadline" on evacuating the remaining U.S. citizens who want to leave.
    Every time I watch that POS speak-- I get this-mental image-- of that scum in my back yard doing his lying and me just slapping the living hell out of him..
    Buttttttttttttttttttt,,, oh, such sweet daydreams.. are but a fleeting fanciful pleasure that shall never come to pass.
    Regardless of how much one would wish it to be so..

That ffing POS is a disgrace to the uniform, imho..----Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks LongTermGuy thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    Every time I watch that POS speak-- I get this-mental image-- of that scum in my back yard doing his lying and me just slapping the living hell out of him..
    Buttttttttttttttttttt,,, oh, such sweet daydreams.. are but a fleeting fanciful pleasure that shall never come to pass.
    Regardless of how much one would wish it to be so..

That ffing POS is a disgrace to the uniform, imho..----Tyr
    "We do not have personnel on the ground, we do not have air assets in the country, we do not control the airspace—whether over Afghanistan or elsewhere in the region," the spokesperson said, adding that it remains "prepared to help" U.S. citizens and Afghan refugees."

Yeah. They got pulled out Aug 30.
    Last edited by Gunny; 09-06-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yeah. They got pulled out Aug 30. [/COLOR]
    Out in the field, Chesty Puller would have shot that POS....
    And all of his men- true Marines to the core, would have celebrated, imho..---Tyr
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

6. Likes LongTermGuy liked this post