Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Yes. An 0-5 with 17 years of service.

Brilliant. Here's what he lost: An 0-5 with 17 years service and three combat tours is a shoe-in for Colonel when his name comes up on the promotion board.

An 0-5 with 17 years in service needs 3 more years to retire at 35% of his base pay at the highest rank held.

He threw away his retirement, and an easy shot at promotion and an even bigger retirement paycheck, regimental command, and 17 years of his life.

Easy for you to sit here and say it was worth it, Rev. You aren't the one paying. He's the one that has to live it. His decision and his consequences. In his position I'd have kept my mouth shut. Why?

What has he changed? Nothing. See any accountability? Nope. See a LtCol with 17 years getting court martialed? Yep. Will what he felt was important enough to toss his career over be remembered a year from now? Nope.

He might. He looks like a shoe-in for a job at Fox News. The return's not worth the investment. IMO. Again, his choice. I admire his courage and integrity. Not his judgement.
    What about the "well he will have a book deal and he'll never have to work again" angle.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
    What about the "well he will have a book deal and he'll never have to work again" angle.
    He's a crusader. Crusaders are unpredictable. Who knows what he'll do? Fox News Analyst, book deal, movie.

Maybe he's going to inherit the family farm?

One would assume he has a plan, but then, you can't assume that with a crusader.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Sometimes doing things the right way doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    He's a crusader. Crusaders are unpredictable. Who knows what he'll do? Fox News Analyst, book deal, movie.

Maybe he's going to inherit the family farm?

One would assume he has a plan, but then, you can't assume that with a crusader.
    He's already got 3+ from donations

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

7. Thanks Black Diamond, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    He's already got 3+ from donations
    Yeah things may very well work out for him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default My Military son reminded me of something we discussed when he first went in 1996.

It was drummed into every member of his classes in Military Indoctrination, History, and the UCMJ.

So this is what the LTCOL actually did...according to all of the Military laws now in place.

It reads in so many words: "IF YOU, A MEMBER OF THE MILITARY WITNESSES ANYTHING ILLEGAL, POTENTIALLY ILLEGAL, OR POSSIBLY ACTIVELY AGAINST ANY MILITARY LAWS. YOU HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO "REPORT" SUCH ACTIONS."
    FAILURE TO DO SO MAKES YOU AS GUILTY AS THE PERSON(s) WHO DID ANYTHING AGAINST MILITARY LAWS AND YOU CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THOSE SAME ACTIONS."

That is what the LTCOL did in a nut shell. In reality...HE DID WHAT THE UCMJ INSTRUCTED.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    It was drummed into every member of his classes in Military Indoctrination, History, and the UCMJ.

So this is what the LTCOL actually did...according to all of the Military laws now in place.

It reads in so many words: "IF YOU, A MEMBER OF THE MILITARY WITNESSES ANYTHING ILLEGAL, POTENTIALLY ILLEGAL, OR POSSIBLY ACTIVELY AGAINST ANY MILITARY LAWS. YOU HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO "REPORT" SUCH ACTIONS."
    FAILURE TO DO SO MAKES YOU AS GUILTY AS THE PERSON(s) WHO DID ANYTHING AGAINST MILITARY LAWS AND YOU CAN BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THOSE SAME ACTIONS."

That is what the LTCOL did in a nut shell. In reality...HE DID WHAT THE UCMJ INSTRUCTED.
    Sort of. You did your time. Think about it. I agree 100% that the UCMJ states exactly what you posted. It is your duty to report an unlawful act, and to refuse to obey an unlawful order, and/or commit and/or participate in an unlawful act.

All you have to do is PROVE it unlawful. I'm sure we both know how hard -near-impossible it is to do that.

It does not cover questioning the judgement of superiors except that you can be charged. It is one's duty to report a question of judgement to the next higher up in the chain.

We do not know what his specific orders were. We can assume he was ordered to man the interior perimeter of the Kabul airport and defend it against (the) enem(y/ies). There's nothing unlawful there.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

12. Thanks icansayit thanked this post