Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I take it back, woke at like 3am and could barely walk to the bathroom, all hunched over in pain. Not sure why, but back pain tends to come back when you rest.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Could also be muscular too Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I take it back, woke at like 3am and could barely walk to the bathroom, all hunched over in pain. Not sure why, but back pain tends to come back when you rest.
    You tend to tighten up, knowing the pain in your back is there. So the muscles are then tense in preparation for how you get up, stand, lay down, and move.

If you don't mind a logical suggestion. MAKE A DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT. They can do a MRI or CATSCAN to see the extent of any damage...and they often CAN fix it if it's not too much damage.

During the Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm in 1991. My first spinal surgery came after I LOST all feeling in my Entire LEFT SIDE. They had to carry me off the ship in a Stokes Litter to a Helo, and flew me to BAHRAIN before getting aboard the Hospital Ship, USNS MERCY...in the Persian Gulf.
    Six days later...after surgery...back to Bahrain, and then C-141 back to the states.

LET THE DOC'S DO WHAT THEY DO BEST. But you have to SEE them in person first.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

3. Thanks jimnyc, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    You tend to tighten up, knowing the pain in your back is there. So the muscles are then tense in preparation for how you get up, stand, lay down, and move.

If you don't mind a logical suggestion. MAKE A DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT. They can do a MRI or CATSCAN to see the extent of any damage...and they often CAN fix it if it's not too much damage.

During the Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm in 1991. My first spinal surgery came after I LOST all feeling in my Entire LEFT SIDE. They had to carry me off the ship in a Stokes Litter to a Helo, and flew me to BAHRAIN before getting aboard the Hospital Ship, USNS MERCY...in the Persian Gulf.
    Six days later...after surgery...back to Bahrain, and then C-141 back to the states.

LET THE DOC'S DO WHAT THEY DO BEST. But you have to SEE them in person first.
    I had a coincidental appt already, so doc thinks it's a strained muscle but without an MRI he wouldn't know for sure, and I'm waiting to see if this rolls over or not. Had this before and it went away every time and I've had MRI's since.

I know my neck doc told me awhile back that I had 'bone degenerative disease' which is no disease actually. Just something in my genes and this happened to me from wear and tear over time. But isn't indicative of future issues - but could be of course. This caused my 2 neck surgeries, but nothing in lower back. Yet anyway.

Since it's a wear and tear issue, a few days or week won't make a difference. But if not better within a week or so then I may do the MRI.

And I certainly don't wanna end up in Bahrain! Damn.

Thanks buddy!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

5. Thanks icansayit, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Do the twist like I outlined, you noob!
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

@jimnyc Broke down and ordered the inversion table. I've wanted one for only about 20 years. Not that I'm a tightwad or procrastinator Yes, I DID get the cheapo model.

We'll see how this works out.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Just like every other time too, by sitting in my chair and then sneezing!!

Somehow or some reason, my muscles in my lower back just instantly started hurting when I sneezed. Literally had trouble standing and walking right after that. And then I woke in the middle of the night and knew I had an issue with the pain walking to the bathroom. Then I woke and same. Sitting is fine, just don't cough! And then walking I have to do so a little hunched over and quite gingerly.

This is like the 3rd damn time I did this too! None of the drugs helping at all. So I guess a matter of slowly exercising it and giving it the heating pad and ice packs. Uggghhh.

Feeling better yet?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

10. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

@jimnyc we all miss you. Check in!
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

12. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Don't crucify me for not having seen a doctor yet.

Things got about better and then went back downhill again. I can only sleep really on my sides, but seems I can do so for only so long before I have to switch sides. It's gotten painful to sit down on my chair here at my computer. I have lumbar support, cushioned seat I tried, perfect sitting posture... the pain just seems to find its way.

I didn't see the doctor as it started getting better before I aggravated it by coughing hard while sitting. Been giving daily treatments of both ice and heat and taking Tylenol and Advil. Been doing stretches like Rick said and other things. But then resting it and heating and ice again.

Now I am reading that dang exercise may be best for it. Ugggh. And oddly it seems to go away when I stand/walk so I'll be doing walks as suggested starting this evening.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default That's how it works for everybody Jim...but...

Things got about better and then went back downhill again. I can only sleep really on my sides, but seems I can do so for only so long before I have to switch sides. It's gotten painful to sit down on my chair here at my computer. I have lumbar support, cushioned seat I tried, perfect sitting posture... the pain just seems to find its way.

I didn't see the doctor as it started getting better before I aggravated it by coughing hard while sitting. Been giving daily treatments of both ice and heat and taking Tylenol and Advil. Been doing stretches like Rick said and other things. But then resting it and heating and ice again.

Now I am reading that dang exercise may be best for it. Ugggh. And oddly it seems to go away when I stand/walk so I'll be doing walks as suggested starting this evening.
    We all know...almost like clockwork. Before any of us see a Doc...we always THINK we feel better before going to find out what's really going on.
    I know you are your own Man, and you will do whatever You want. If you don't want to listen to some of us who suggested going to a Doc. We can't make you, or even SHAME you. But you really should listen to those of us who HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE, and know...NOT SEEING A DOC is probably a really big mistake...since that kind of pain WILL GET WORSE eventually.
    If you didn't want us to know what you are going through...WHY DID YOU?
    Think about it. Get well. Good luck. The Old Guy who knows nothing says so.

P.S. If we are wrong. Isn't that better than finding out YOU WAITED TOO LONG???
    Last edited by icansayit; 11-01-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.

15. Thanks jimnyc thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    We all know...almost like clockwork. Before any of us see a Doc...we always THINK we feel better before going to find out what's really going on.
    I know you are your own Man, and you will do whatever You want. If you don't want to listen to some of us who suggested going to a Doc. We can't make you, or even SHAME you. But you really should listen to those of us who HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE, and know...NOT SEEING A DOC is probably a really big mistake...since that kind of pain WILL GET WORSE eventually.
    If you didn't want us to know what you are going through...WHY DID YOU?
    Think about it. Get well. Good luck. The Old Guy who knows nothing says so.

P.S. If we are wrong. Isn't that better than finding out YOU WAITED TOO LONG???
    I thought of you several times throughout the week! And I knew it was the right option all along I think but something held me back and continues to. I can do an Xray but the MRI and such scares me, and the shot in the spine even more so and then a possible surgery scares me the worse.

Don't think I don't read and take to heart what you and others tell me. I do, and am usually better than this. But 2 neck surgeries, elbow surgery, wrist surgery and it's all taken it's toll on my fears I think.

So while I "listen" to you and know you and others are right, my fears prevent me from doing a lot of things. I am hard headed and thinking I can nurse my way through it all, and I know better usually. I was prepared for the jabs that are tough love, my wife is the same way.

17. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes icansayit liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Whatever you decide Jim. It's your body, and only you can make the decision.

I thought of you several times throughout the week! And I knew it was the right option all along I think but something held me back and continues to. I can do an Xray but the MRI and such scares me, and the shot in the spine even more so and then a possible surgery scares me the worse.

Don't think I don't read and take to heart what you and others tell me. I do, and am usually better than this. But 2 neck surgeries, elbow surgery, wrist surgery and it's all taken it's toll on my fears I think.

So while I "listen" to you and know you and others are right, my fears prevent me from doing a lot of things. I am hard headed and thinking I can nurse my way through it all, and I know better usually. I was prepared for the jabs that are tough love, my wife is the same way.
    Wanna go for a competition? Try this and see. 16 Years old, last bone in my spine (coccyx) removed after more than a year of pain (jumped during basketball game came down on another kid's knee as he was jumping) That surgery took place NOVEMBER 22nd 1963. The day JFK was killed.
    Went into the navy following year in May. I was hit in the back of my neck by another recruit with his M-1 rifle in the barracks. Dislocated or something top of my spine...wore a neck brace for a month before finishing Boot camp July 64.
    Spinal surgery aboard the Hospital Ship USNS Mercy in the Persian Gulf...T-2. T-3. lost all feelings in my entire Left side.
    Shipped back to states...Norfolk Naval Hospital...second spinal surgery...L-2, L-3, and stenosis getting worse from injuries during Physical Training back on the USS Nassau during Operation Desert Storm.
    Back to active duty 3 months later. Had 1st heart attack on my ship. Another six months after the Navy tried to get me to leave for $44,000 dollars, and give up all retirement.
    TOLD THEM F No...back to active and sixth ship until I retired.
    Then....Prostate Cancer...I beat it (pardon the pun), Chemo and Radiation. And finally Last heart attack 2009...STILL HERE. Had more needles, twists, discomfort than most would want.
    Thankfully...I WENT TO A DOC.

19. Thanks Abbey Marie thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

When I am worked out, I really have no pain. When I take a break for a day or two, back hurts, legs hurt.

Stretch, but DON'T overdo it. I stretch every day, and during warm up for lifting. Over-stretching hurts more than it helps. You're basically pulling your joints apart. They have to go back into their "groove" to function properly. That's one reason why warm-up exercises are not necessarily stretching exercises.

Some crap I've learned over the years, not always the hard way. Sometimes observation/education helps :

Don't sit or stand for prolonged periods of time. Either one makes my lower back hurt.

Check your bed. It could be the culprit.

Check your shoes. They could be the culprit.

But definitely see a doc. I damaged what I thought was my hip doing a lift and thought for a couple of years I had killed my hip and was going to have to go through all that. Turned out to be a nerve. That was THE one good thing that came out of my trip to the hospital. That pain was gone when I got out (replaced by a couple hundred more so I wouldn't suggest life support as a remedy). Point is, refusing to go to the doc kept me in pain for a couple of years thinking I knew what the problem was and not willing to undergo treatment/surgery for my misdiagnosis
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

21. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I do have a doctors appointment for tomorrow still, but....

2 days ago I started taking HOT baths with lavender epsom salt. Soaked 4-6 times per day and felt awesome in there and when out. Back started to feel better but I know that stuff can loosen and then it comes right back. Well, midday yesterday I went out for whatever, when I realized there was no pain. The rest of the day, nothing! Soaked all day again of course, and today, feels awesome again! No pain whatsoever whether sitting, standing, walking, bending or anything! Not saying that baths with salts are a cure, but damn, something helped somewhere!!

I'll do the same today anyway, explain everything to doctor and see what he says tomorrow. Crossing my fingers though that it was just a strained muscle or whatever and no disc damage.

I'm going to see the spinal surgeon that did my neck surgery last one anyway. I know he was great was diagnosing things with an x-ray alone.

23. Thanks darin, icansayit, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, icansayit, Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

So nothing all day yesterday and nothing whatsoever so far today. Off for doc appt. in a few but feel much more confident now, and more confident that it wasn't a disc.

Whenever I had disc issues, there was always some form of radiating pain emanating from it. And they weren't going to fix themselves, but if it's a bulging disc they can be managed. But I truly think this was a strain, and hopefully an xray will be fully normal so that the dreaded MRI isn't necessary.

25. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Abbey Marie liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Nothing seen on the x-ray for where I was having all the pain!!

Doc as well thinks I strained a muscle for a combination of reasons, none of which really matter. What matters is no injury!!

27. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes icansayit, Abbey Marie, Kathianne liked this post