Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default I'll take someone with a sunny disposition every time - dumb and gullible is OK

There was a comment on here about someone jettisoning dumb and gullible people from their life. I'm not going to bother trying to find it. If someone believes in UFOs, can't spell, lives in a trailer park, or whatever but they have a drive to cheerfully greet those in their presence, that's a good person to have around. I would say that it's a bad idea to jettison such people from one's life. If you're going to jettison somebody, jettison someone who is often depressed.

Life is too short to have those around who are ill-tempered and are a liability.
    Last edited by tailfins; 12-15-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

2. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    There was a comment on here about someone jettisoning dumb and gullible people from their life. I'm not going to bother trying to find it. If someone believes in UFOs, can't spell, lives in a trailer park, or whatever but they have a drive to cheerfully greet those in their presence, that's a good person to have around. I would say that it's a bad idea to jettison such people from one's life. If you're going to jettison somebody, jettison someone who is often depressed.Life is too short to have those around who are ill-tempered and are a liability.

Anybody not knowing that UFOs ( UAPs these days ) are as much a fact as two and two making four has serious Comprehension problems .A bit like someone denying the existence of Vanuatu , for example , because they had never been there to personally see or even heard mention of it .

And who would ever deliberately pick Dumb and Gullible persons as close friends simply because they had those dubious 'talents '? Get a Cat or Dog -- far more efficient and

rewarding !It must be bad enough for most people who have such types effectively forced on them via family or from business , for example .

Why make fifth rate choices when better ones are as easy to find ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juicer66 View Post
    Anybody not knowing that UFOs ( UAPs these days ) are as much a fact as two and two making four has serious Comprehension problems .A bit like someone denying the existence of Vanuatu , for example , because they had never been there to personally see or even heard mention of it .

And who would ever deliberately pick Dumb and Gullible persons as close friends simply because they had those dubious 'talents '? Get a Cat or Dog -- far more efficient and

rewarding !It must be bad enough for most people who have such types effectively forced on them via family or from business , for example .

Why make fifth rate choices when better ones are as easy to find ?

When you go to the circus, do you expect the clown to recite Shakespeare? Different people serve different purposes. If someone has talent for boosting morale, who cares if they are not a Rhodes Scholar?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    When you go to the circus, do you expect the clown to recite Shakespeare? Different people serve different purposes. If someone has talent for boosting morale, who cares if they are not a Rhodes Scholar?
    Why introduce a far fetched analogy ( your Circus ) which does not even begin to work , imho , when you can simply discuss your propositions by considering our real world ?

There are handicapped people whom some others delight in helping and caring for, and they will perhaps then tell you about the rewards coming from compassion and unselfishness . This simply examples the many ways you can take, 'to find yourself / reach God / move to a higher understanding / be liked by other people etc etc .

But our discussion is concerned not with those who require something like 24x7 care and full support .
    It is about those who are capable of distinguishing between right and wrong , good and bad and playing a part in realising appropriate targets / achievement levels but who wilfully fall short .And the assertion is that they fail because the main factors holding them back are
    Their own stupidity
    Their Gullibility -- perhaps a direct function of stupidity ( see hypothesis of more educated being much more vaxx hesitant ) \
    Their laziness -- an inability to look for self improvement and answers .

Of course many of these people can be funny , hospitable and many other nice things but , in general terms , they are limited by their own foolishness . And therefore not my preferred blend tea . Perhaps nice in small measure but not too often !!

And we all choose our own favourite blends .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juicer66 View Post
    Why introduce a far fetched analogy ( your Circus ) which does not even begin to work , imho , when you can simply discuss your propositions by considering our real world ?

There are handicapped people whom some others delight in helping and caring for, and they will perhaps then tell you about the rewards coming from compassion and unselfishness . This simply examples the many ways you can take, 'to find yourself / reach God / move to a higher understanding / be liked by other people etc etc .

But our discussion is concerned not with those who require something like 24x7 care and full support .
    It is about those who are capable of distinguishing between right and wrong , good and bad and playing a part in realising appropriate targets / achievement levels but who wilfully fall short .And the assertion is that they fail because the main factors holding them back are
    Their own stupidity
    Their Gullibility -- perhaps a direct function of stupidity ( see hypothesis of more educated being much more vaxx hesitant ) \
    Their laziness -- an inability to look for self improvement and answers .

Of course many of these people can be funny , hospitable and many other nice things but , in general terms , they are limited by their own foolishness . And therefore not my preferred blend tea . Perhaps nice in small measure but not too often !!

And we all choose our own favourite blends .
    My experience is that the smartest people aren't really enjoyable for social interaction. That doesn't mean that you totally stay away from them. It just means that your interaction had better have a purpose such as knowledge transfer at a user group meeting, discussing what needs to happen on a Github pull requests. Really smart people are good for "strictly business" interactions, but not for getting to know on a personal level.

However, if you want a happy environment, visit a block party in the poorest cities in Latin America. The slums of Rio de Janeiro for example are cheerful places. People let fear cause themselves to miss out on the experience. Don't be the Boston snob that won't have lunch with the gardener.

I hope the Petaré neighborhood in Caracas calms down some day. It's on my bucket list of places to visit.
    Last edited by tailfins; 12-20-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default I learned a long, long time ago.

When you spend most of your time around POSITIVE, KIND people. You become Positive and Kind.

On the other hand. Spend ANY time around NEGATIVE people and you become NEGATIVE and very unpleasant to be near, around, or within the same room.

Sound familiar to anyone here???
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

8. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    when you spend most of your time around positive, kind people. You become positive and kind.

On the other hand. Spend any time around negative people and you become negative and very unpleasant to be near, around, or within the same room.

Sound familiar to anyone here???

door ... Left ... Wide ... Open ---- must ... Resist ... Temptation ....