Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Yankee Entertainment

So, it's currently 36 degrees here, heading for a high of 38 and an overnight low of 28. We're expecting the "wintry mix" (freezing rain/light snow/sleet) this afternoon. IF the trace amounts stick, it'll be overnight and gone tomorrow.

Half the city is shut down for this "major winter storm". When I lived in IL and NoVA, this wouldn't even rate a glance out the window

I guarantee though there will be power outages in some places, and wrecks all over the place. Cuz that's how we roll down here
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    So, it's currently 36 degrees here, heading for a high of 38 and an overnight low of 28. We're expecting the "wintry mix" (freezing rain/light snow/sleet) this afternoon. IF the trace amounts stick, it'll be overnight and gone tomorrow.

Half the city is shut down for this "major winter storm". When I lived in IL and NoVA, this wouldn't even rate a glance out the window

I guarantee though there will be power outages in some places, and wrecks all over the place. Cuz that's how we roll down here
    When did you live in Virginia? It is what ya mean by "NoVa", no? Norther Virginia area? I ask as I lived there for a short stint, in the Arlington/Alexandria area. And yeah, they get a LOT of snow there - so something like that wouldn't even dent the morning rush on 495.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    When did you live in Virginia? It is what ya mean by "NoVa", no? Norther Virginia area? I ask as I lived there for a short stint, in the Arlington/Alexandria area. And yeah, they get a LOT of snow there - so something like that wouldn't even dent the morning rush on 495.
    1st time: Dad is an Arabic and Spanish linguist. He went to school for the former in Crystal City (adjacent to Alexandria. We lived in MD just outside the District.

2nd time: Was at LFTCLant for school in Norfolk 85-87.

3rd: Was stationed at Headquarters, Marine Corps in Arlington. Lived in Alexandria 94-98.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks fj1200, Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Jim and all...

NoVa for us in the military used to be NORVA....Norfolk Va. In fact. I remember air travel tickets used to describe the destination as NORVA.

I live less than a mile from the NOR...here at the Beach. Military Highway is the dividing line and we are so close...you can hear motorcycles, and Donut Rollers at night on the vacant streets.

Gunny. I worked in CINCLANTFLT building where TOM CLANCY (the Author) described it in his book RED STORM RISING.
    Got to know a few of the GATE MARINES over a 3 year period. Maybe I saw you???

As for the SNOW warnings. As usual....everybody is going Nuts, and the stores are more than bare as they await the DUSTING we get almost every year while ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

8. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    NoVa for us in the military used to be NORVA....Norfolk Va. In fact. I remember air travel tickets used to describe the destination as NORVA.

I live less than a mile from the NOR...here at the Beach. Military Highway is the dividing line and we are so close...you can hear motorcycles, and Donut Rollers at night on the vacant streets.

Gunny. I worked in CINCLANTFLT building where TOM CLANCY (the Author) described it in his book RED STORM RISING.
    Got to know a few of the GATE MARINES over a 3 year period. Maybe I saw you???

As for the SNOW warnings. As usual....everybody is going Nuts, and the stores are more than bare as they await the DUSTING we get almost every year while ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE.
    My daughter's babysitter lived in housing just outside the CINCLANTFLT/Camp Elmore compound. We lived in an apt on the other side of Terminal Blvd (ain't life grand when you're jr enlisted ). However, I was at school at LFTCLant, and scored too high on the ASVAB to be a gate guard The ex was stationed at Hqtrs, FMFLant on Camp Elmore.

It snowed once when I was there, I think. I really only remember how sloppy the streets were (regarding snow). They weren't very well prepared for snow. Too close to the water so it usually turned to rain.

10. Likes icansayit liked this post