Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Not leading by example

There's been a lot of personal attacks on here lately, and I'm probably one of the worst offenders as of late. My temper has gotten the best of me during some lively debates and I got frustrated and went for the jugular. MFM was right, not very becoming of the board owner.

I don't want to fade away from debating, so I'm going to do my best to take a deep breath before my replies in the debates and try and remain on topic and win where it counts most - with facts and common sense. I hope most of you will take my lead. Have fun with the sarcasm all you like as I think a degree of it is needed to have some personality around here, but things have gotten a bit personal at times and I've embarrassed myself.

My apologies to anyone who might have been offended by my words. It's a message board, and my intent is to "one up" the person I'm sending my message to. But I should know better than to one up them with classless comments. I'll stick to good 'ol fashioned humor, wit and sarcasm if need be, but I'm gonna try hard to leave the attacks out.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bets on how long he'll last. I give it a week.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Bets on how long he'll last. I give it a week.
    You're a phony lib. Someone makes an effort and you effing dash them like that. Where is the supposed lib "compassion" for those that need "help?"

A true person would accept the talk, especially given the owner is not running for any election, and if it did not work out to exactly a "t" then they would still accept and respect the attempt.

IMO, Jim has nothing to apologize for as board owner, maybe an individual poster (haven't seen your posts where I think any apology is needed)

This board has in fact become better since it started. Far less calls for banishment from some conservatives and far less trash talk from some libs. However, I notice the libs keep up their attack on the "moderation" of the board. Its as close to moderate as you can get. Go to some lib sites and try posting some right wing stuff and see how long you last. Last I checked, demonundergound had a very strict requirement on even joining the post so you had the effing blessing of posting. So effing what if the mods tend to be conservative, has any lib actually approached the owner and asked to be a mod?

Quit bitching and keep posting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cheers Jim, great sentiments.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    There's been a lot of personal attacks on here lately, and I'm probably one of the worst offenders as of late. My temper has gotten the best of me during some lively debates and I got frustrated and went for the jugular. MFM was right, not very becoming of the board owner.

I don't want to fade away from debating, so I'm going to do my best to take a deep breath before my replies in the debates and try and remain on topic and win where it counts most - with facts and common sense. I hope most of you will take my lead. Have fun with the sarcasm all you like as I think a degree of it is needed to have some personality around here, but things have gotten a bit personal at times and I've embarrassed myself.

My apologies to anyone who might have been offended by my words. It's a message board, and my intent is to "one up" the person I'm sending my message to. But I should know better than to one up them with classless comments. I'll stick to good 'ol fashioned humor, wit and sarcasm if need be, but I'm gonna try hard to leave the attacks out.

i for one have enjoyed the passion your recents posts have brought to the board......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    You're a phony lib. Someone makes an effort and you effing dash them like that. Where is the supposed lib "compassion" for those that need "help?"

A true person would accept the talk, especially given the owner is not running for any election, and if it did not work out to exactly a "t" then they would still accept and respect the attempt.

IMO, Jim has nothing to apologize for as board owner, maybe an individual poster (haven't seen your posts where I think any apology is needed)

This board has in fact become better since it started. Far less calls for banishment from some conservatives and far less trash talk from some libs. However, I notice the libs keep up their attack on the "moderation" of the board. Its as close to moderate as you can get. Go to some lib sites and try posting some right wing stuff and see how long you last. Last I checked, demonundergound had a very strict requirement on even joining the post so you had the effing blessing of posting. So effing what if the mods tend to be conservative, has any lib actually approached the owner and asked to be a mod?

Quit bitching and keep posting.
    I dunno Yurt, I think the username says it all, reading her posts says the rest.
    Did you expect more?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

has any lib actually approached the owner and asked to be a mod?
    I would but then me and jim would just kill each other and that wouldn't be pretty for anyone.
    Well I never claimed to be lib in the first place. As for commpassion you wont see much from me either.

This isn't the first time jim has made a post like this. That is why I posted what I did. It would be a fun bet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Democratic Underground isn't an open board, it's unashamedly partisan. But that doesn't stop it getting fairly heated at times. I don't post at Free Republic but now and again I see a DU link and check it out. I don't like it much but then that's probably because I don't share the views and values of posters at Free Republic.

There's only one thing wrong with personal attacks all the time. After a while they get a bit, well, boring. But that could be me, I have a short attention sp....oh look, a cookie....

As I was saying, it can get a bit much. But when the amusement begins to fade I sort of glance through the rest of the posts in the thread which are posters each other and then see if someone else has popped in to get it back on track.

Jim - you can go off, it doesn't matter, long as you don't use your sooper dooper "I Am Zardoz, the Owner of this Universe" powers to punish someone getting up your nose, it's not a problem.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Evil View Post
    I dunno Yurt, I think the username says it all, reading her posts says the rest.
    Did you expect more?
    *hits own head with hammer*

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would but then me and jim would just kill each other and that wouldn't be pretty for anyone.

Well I never claimed to be lib in the first place. As for commpassion you wont see much from me either.

This isn't the first time jim has made a post like this. That is why I posted what I did. It would be a fun bet.
    Ooooookaaaaaaaaay, LIBeral nation..........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I chose that username only so people would regonize me by it from other boards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leading?

I don't need no stinking leading...

Oh never mind..That just popped into my head and I thought it was funny..

Carry on...
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself."
    Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I chose that username only so people would regonize me by it from other boards.
    stop playing coy. You're a Lib. You think we're stoopid, or do you get your rocks off pretending to be a certain way only so you can change it later? You're transparent.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post

In the first paragraph, your actions sounded like that of the democrat party.

In the second paragraph you sound like a pubbie.

In the third paragraph you sound.... Well you don't sound like OCA, that's fer sure.
    POLITICAL ACTIVISTS CREED
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brushfires in people's minds" -Samuel Adams

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."~George Orwell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    stop playing coy. You're a Lib. You think we're stoopid, or do you get your rocks off pretending to be a certain way only so you can change it later? You're transparent.
    You consider me a lib others consider me a con. I'm whatever the person of the moment wants to label me but don't claim either for myself. As for transparent, yeah i try to be.

People blast the name I chose at other boards cuz they claim I'm not a lib. People blast my name here cuz they don't like libs. It's all subjective.
    Last edited by LiberalNation; 10-02-2007 at 10:49 PM.