Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Default 'I hope paradise is as you remember it' - stars pay tribute to Meat Loaf

Reuters
    Reuters
    'I hope paradise is as you remember it' - stars pay tribute to Meat Loaf
    1h ago

Follow
    12 Comments
    |

© Reuters/HENRY ROMERO

LONDON (Reuters) -Meat Loaf, the U.S. rock star whose debut "Bat Out of Hell" became one of the best-selling albums of all time, has died aged 74. Here are reactions from fellow entertainers and others.

AMERICAN SINGER CHER:

"Had So Much Fun With Meatloaf When We Did 'Dead Ringer'. Am Very Sorry For His Family, Friends & Fans. Am I imagining It, or Are Amazing Ppl In The Arts Dying every other Day!?"

BRITISH SINGER BOY GEORGE READING:

"R.I.P Meatloaf. Love and prayers to all his family and close friends. He once turned me upside down in a Chinese Restaurant in St Johns Wood."

BRITISH WRITER AND ACTOR STEPHEN FRY:

"I hope paradise is as you remember it from the dashboard light, Meat Loaf. He had the quality of being simultaneously frightening and cuddly."

BRITISH PRODUCER PETE WATERMAN:

"It was his voice – you knew what you got with Meat Loaf. It was 100 per cent of everything."

BRITISH COMPOSER ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER:

"The vaults of heaven will be ringing with rock. RIP Meatloaf."

(Reporting by Reuters bureaux, Editing by Angus MacSwan)
    Damn, sure makes me feel old...

That he just passed at age 74, with me about to become 68 years old in March....
    I was not a huge fan, but I did so fully recognize his great musical talent!
    Always fantastic lyrics!!!! pure poetry slammed with music....
    And that was truly an iconic song for sure!
    May he rest in peace. -Tyr

Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 01-21-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Gunny, SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of my all time favorites. The video is definitely 70s. Reconciling that over-sized person as the owner of that voice was an occasion to remember in Two out Three Ain't Bad first time I saw him perform it.

His videos always have a wink and nod in them and as an entertainer he was one of the better ones. Hope he finds his "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

The only song I've ever been able to listen to all the way through was I'd Do Anything For Love. He was not one of my favs.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of my all time favorites. The video is definitely 70s. Reconciling that over-sized person as the owner of that voice was an occasion to remember in Two out Three Ain't Bad first time I saw him perform it.

His videos always have a wink and nod in them and as an entertainer he was one of the better ones. Hope he finds his "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
    He had more talent in his pinky finger than many of today's overrated, highly acclaimed singers do in their entire, egotistical bodies.
    And that goes triple for the useless ffing rappers that have racked in tens of millions for their ffing bullshit blatherings, imho.-Tyr.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

7. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    He had more talent in his pinky finger than many of today's overrated, highly acclaimed singers do in their entire, egotistical bodies.
    And that goes triple for the useless ffing rappers that have racked in tens of millions for their ffing bullshit blatherings, imho.-Tyr.
    I didn't say he wasn't good .. just that I wasn't a fan.

9. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Damn, sure makes me feel old...

That he just passed at age 74, with me about to become 68 years old in March....
    I was not a huge fan, but I did so fully recognize his great musical talent!
    Always fantastic lyrics!!!! pure poetry slammed with music....
    And that was truly an iconic song for sure!
    May he rest in peace. -Tyr

I was a monster fan and grew up listening to his music. I remember the 1st time ever hearing them, Paradise, in the back of my older cousin Kim's van, on our way to go visit a cemetery to scare us when I was a like 10 or so.

Same as Gunny, used to laugh hearing that amazing voice and then seeing a sloppy Meat Loaf plopping around. But that boy could sing like an angel. And the lyrics were always amazing.

Funny you posted them all, Tyr, I watched each of them a few times yesterday reminiscing.

RIP
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

11. Thanks Gunny, Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I didn't say he wasn't good .. just that I wasn't a fan.
    Meatloaf was/is an acquired taste. More of a niche than mainstream talent. Most of his music was too long for pop radio.

Not trying to be dirty or anything, but Paradise is relatable if you're around my age (or older ). We had drive in movies. The song is tongue-in-cheek cliche for the time. If it was introduced now, most of the current pinheads wouldn't even know what he was talking about and equally as many so offended by the sexist nature of the song their PC heads would explode.

The good ol' days
    Last edited by Gunny; 01-23-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

13. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Meatloaf was/is an acquired taste. More of a niche than mainstream talent. Most of his music was too long for pop radio.

Not trying to be dirty or anything, but Paradise is relatable if you're around my age (or older ). We had drive in movies. The song is tongue-in-cheek cliche for the time. If it was introduced now, most of the current pinheads wouldn't even know what he was talking about and equally as many so offended by the sexist nature of the song their PC heads would explode.

The good ol' days
    I went to a lot of drive in movies long before bucket seats were the vogue!

15. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I went to a lot of drive in movies long before bucket seats were the vogue!
    Bucket seats were a luxury item usually not found in second-hand, 60s-70s gunboats. Never knew where the seatbelts were either.

However, (giving away my "batting average" ) if I was actually watching the movie, I would sit on the hood. Lot cooler in S FL. If you're going to run the AC, might as well go to a theater.

17. Likes SassyLady liked this post