Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default Still undecided between a smaller Texas city or a Mexican Digital Nomad visa

With urban rents going through the roof and US cities being no safer than Mexican cities, I'm going to have to make a change. I'm in Austin now. This is unsustainable. The "feature" of Austin that stands out is age discrimination. If you're 55+ in IT, figure on working remotely somewhere else, because even with the labor shortage, no one is going to hire you locally. So I missed out on sitting in traffic, I'm soooo sad. My current gig is based in Chicago and pays a Chicago pay rate. Once I establish myself, it's tempting to ask if I can work from Mexico. Monterrey has just as good of an airport as Austin, so if I need to be in Chicago a couple times per year, that's not an issue. If they won't let me work from Mexico, there's Laredo or Waco. Good internet is a must, though. Monterrey probably has the best internet in Mexico. If you want to be wined and dined, the barrio San Pedro is high luxury for a third of what you would pay in the USA.

https://www.psimonmyway.com/mexico-digital-nomad-visa/

A non-lucrative visa does NOT allow you to work in any Mexican company. You must show proof that you are earning from a company outside the country.

San Pedro:

Last edited by tailfins; 01-23-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    With urban rents going through the roof and US cities being no safer than Mexican cities, I'm going to have to make a change. I'm in Austin now. This is unsustainable. The "feature" of Austin that stands out is age discrimination. If you're 55+ in IT, figure on working remotely somewhere else, because even with the labor shortage, no one is going to hire you locally. So I missed out on sitting in traffic, I'm soooo sad. My current gig is based in Chicago and pays a Chicago pay rate. Once I establish myself, it's tempting to ask if I can work from Mexico. Monterrey has just as good of an airport as Austin, so if I need to be in Chicago a couple times per year, that's not an issue. If they won't let me work from Mexico, there's Laredo or Waco. Good internet is a must, though. Monterrey probably has the best internet in Mexico. If you want to be wined and dined, the barrio San Pedro is high luxury for a third of what you would pay in the USA.

https://www.psimonmyway.com/mexico-digital-nomad-visa/

San Pedro:

Austin sucks. I'd rather live in Mexico. Worse, Austin has bled itself far enough south that it's almost city the entire way from San Antonio. I'll be the first one to tell you right now if I wasn't in the family situation I am, I would NOT be living in San Antonio anymore. Probably be one of Gracia's constituents assuming she wins. Anywhere between Kerrville and San Angelo sounds and looks better than this place that no longer resembles the nice, quiet little city I grew up in.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Austin sucks. I'd rather live in Mexico. Worse, Austin has bled itself far enough south that it's almost city the entire way from San Antonio. I'll be the first one to tell you right now if I wasn't in the family situation I am, I would NOT be living in San Antonio anymore. Probably be one of Gracia's constituents assuming she wins. Anywhere between Kerrville and San Angelo sounds and looks better than this place that no longer resembles the nice, quiet little city I grew up in.
    I moved out of D/FW because I was tired of the "make a quick buck" mentality. My expertise in acclimating offshore workers into a US IT department is sought after in D/FW. Non-managerial Indians appreciate being deprogrammed from the sweatshop culture. It's not rocket science either. It's just a matter of changing your thinking from prioritizing volume of (garbage) code to prioritizing quality, bullet-proof code. In D/FW, doing a demo where you demo 100 lines of code accompanied with an extensive battery of tests is way more valuable that writing a thousand lines of shit and hoping it sticks to the wall like they do in Indian sweatshops. I will take being a cheapskate over woke incompetence any day of the week. In Austin, it's OK if software crashes as long was it was written by a member of the LGBT community.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    I moved out of D/FW because I was tired of the "make a quick buck" mentality. My expertise in acclimating offshore workers into a US IT department is sought after in D/FW. Non-managerial Indians appreciate being deprogrammed from the sweatshop culture. It's not rocket science either. It's just a matter of changing your thinking from prioritizing volume of (garbage) code to prioritizing quality, bullet-proof code. In D/FW, doing a demo where you demo 100 lines of code accompanied with an extensive battery of tests is way more valuable that writing a thousand lines of shit and hoping it sticks to the wall like they do in Indian sweatshops. I will take being a cheapskate over woke incompetence any day of the week. In Austin, it's OK if software crashes as long was it was written by a member of the LGBT community.
    I guess I would take issue with that if I was ever exposed to it. I was a Marine for 21 years then a commercial electrician. Not much exposure to the demands of faggots.

I DID however have to tolerate EO aka the government quota system that qualified people for promotion and position by race and gender rather than qualification. Lloyd Austin is a PERFECT example of that PC mindset having consequences.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Likes SassyLady liked this post