Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Computer Problems

Would explain why I have been away a few days.

Installed a new webcam and immediately had issues. Ultimately lead me to finally running windows update (I turned off as I prefer to install updates manually). So really the only thing waiting was a security update. Along with that I saw the reminder once again that my PC didn't meet the requirements to install Windows 11. I wasn't in a hurry anyway, but that was a ways back. So then started the research.

You need the TPM 2.0 (trusted platform module), which of course requires your PC to support it, which apparently mind didn't. My research lead me to find out that most machines would have it disabled in the BIOS, and it was! So I enabled that and rebooted and voila!

Oh boy, then it was Win 11 time. Rather than use crappy windows update, I downloaded the .ISO file directly from Microsoft. Since it's a free upgrade, this 5GB file is only good for 24hrs. Luckily I had it all installed within that time frame. But then loads of issues.

It was great in going through all of my software and updating it automatically to the latest versions. But it missed a large handful of drivers for various hardware. Of course because update didn't have the drivers, so I was running around to websites and fixing crap all day yesterday.

Then today I finally got it all wrapped up neatly. Tested as much as I could and then spent time setting things up to my preferences.

Definitely a different OS and will take a tad to learn everything but probably not long, as most things are still similar and quite easy to find and manage.

That's IF ya cared anyway. And if you are like my wife, you might say "you were gone?"
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Likes fj1200, NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Would explain why I have been away a few days.

Installed a new webcam and immediately had issues. Ultimately lead me to finally running windows update (I turned off as I prefer to install updates manually). So really the only thing waiting was a security update. Along with that I saw the reminder once again that my PC didn't meet the requirements to install Windows 11. I wasn't in a hurry anyway, but that was a ways back. So then started the research.

You need the TPM 2.0 (trusted platform module), which of course requires your PC to support it, which apparently mind didn't. My research lead me to find out that most machines would have it disabled in the BIOS, and it was! So I enabled that and rebooted and voila!

Oh boy, then it was Win 11 time. Rather than use crappy windows update, I downloaded the .ISO file directly from Microsoft. Since it's a free upgrade, this 5GB file is only good for 24hrs. Luckily I had it all installed within that time frame. But then loads of issues.

It was great in going through all of my software and updating it automatically to the latest versions. But it missed a large handful of drivers for various hardware. Of course because update didn't have the drivers, so I was running around to websites and fixing crap all day yesterday.

Then today I finally got it all wrapped up neatly. Tested as much as I could and then spent time setting things up to my preferences.

Definitely a different OS and will take a tad to learn everything but probably not long, as most things are still similar and quite easy to find and manage.

That's IF ya cared anyway. And if you are like my wife, you might say "you were gone?"
    I was waiting to see where you were off to.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I was looking into upgrading to 11, too. Seems there's all sorts of bugs right now, so I'll hold off. I'm kind of weary of volunteering myself and equipment for Microsoft's free beta lab.

The Windows Update feature usually works well, especially when changing OS... I'll definitely opt for that when the time comes to make the jump. No way do I want to fight every driver install manually.

I still have nightmares of the abomination known as Win98. Win95 was bad enough, but there should have been public executions over 98.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have been running Windows 11 since the early Beta code and it just seems normal to me now. I originally hated the centering of the taskbar and immediately sought out the ability to put the Windows start button back into the lower left-hand corner where it should be by-law. LOL

I like the fact that Windows Update is not like pushing water up a rope any longer. The speed increase in the update process alone is worth the update.

I have several strength of materials tools and dimensional design tools that work really well in Windows 11 that were sluggish on Windows 10.

All in all I am pretty happy with it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

8. Likes NightTrain, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I was waiting to see where you were off to.
    A week from hell fixing my generator & computer... My Dad had issues that I worked on over the phone & via remote desktop. And nothing worse than working and troubleshooting a machine 1,500 miles away & the person you are helping not the most computer savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I was looking into upgrading to 11, too. Seems there's all sorts of bugs right now, so I'll hold off. I'm kind of weary of volunteering myself and equipment for Microsoft's free beta lab.

The Windows Update feature usually works well, especially when changing OS... I'll definitely opt for that when the time comes to make the jump. No way do I want to fight every driver install manually.

I still have nightmares of the abomination known as Win98. Win95 was bad enough, but there should have been public executions over 98.
    Even with the typical issues one goes through on an upgrade like this - it was at least so much better than the 95/98/XP days!

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    I have been running Windows 11 since the early Beta code and it just seems normal to me now. I originally hated the centering of the taskbar and immediately sought out the ability to put the Windows start button back into the lower left-hand corner where it should be by-law. LOL

I like the fact that Windows Update is not like pushing water up a rope any longer. The speed increase in the update process alone is worth the update.

I have several strength of materials tools and dimensional design tools that work really well in Windows 11 that were sluggish on Windows 10.

All in all I am pretty happy with it.
    Same here - first thing I did was move the entire thing off to the left & then enabled all of my overflow icons on the right side of the taskbar. I agree with the WU, thus far what little I needed from in there after the upgrade stuff was complete was much better.

Most of my programs that I have used thus far are running great now. installed some new tools as well. Spent a ton of time finally getting everything the way I like it and doing a few backups for cloning purposes.

I thought for sure I was DOA without the TPM stuff but was unaware for quite awhile that it may just be disabled in the bios. Something that they might mention on a splash screen during initial testing for Win 11 qualifications?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is there a way to avoid the log in screen every time puter sleeps in 11?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I don't have Win11, but search for "Screen Timeout Settings" and "Screensaver Settings".

You should be able to turn off that sign-in setting.

12. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't have Win11, but search for "Screen Timeout Settings" and "Screensaver Settings".

You should be able to turn off that sign-in setting.
    I agree. I should be able to turn sign-in off. I just can't find how to it.

All I want is to turn on and go directly to desk top like every other version of windows I've ever had.

Frustrating!

Found it NT!
    Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by Mr. P; 03-21-2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Found it!

Above the Best

14. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I agree. I should be able to turn sign-in off. I just can't find how to it.

All I want is to turn on and go directly to desk top like every other version of windows I've ever had.

Frustrating!
    You don't have a search function in Win11? Be sure you're searching in your computer and not on the interwebs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You don't have a search function in Win11? Be sure you're searching in your computer and not on the interwebs.
    Found it NT!
    Thanks for your post.

Above the Best

17. Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

That would be under power settings.

As far as bootup and logging in, it would be under the settings in win 11 and then go to accounts and then sign in options.

I see you got it already, but telling ya anyway in case this way is easier. Not sure, plus may help someone else!

19. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default I may be wrong here but..

First...Go to settings...

Then Look at DEFAULT settings. I believe that is where you can tell what you see at STARTUP.

It should give Options. I now have 11 and getting used to it. I heard Microsoft Intended to STOP all updates related to WINDOWS 10 in the future, and that will hurt the dedicated Windows 10 users eventually by forcing them to PAY for Windows 11.

Just my two cents.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

21. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post