Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Been Awhile

Got pretty darn sick Christmas Eve, was down 2 weeks, not covid. Well blood pressure was really out of whack, first reading was 215/105! Yeah. Since already was under 110, keeping to low sodium, and walking average of 16k steps per day, meds was really only recourse. Over the course of 2 weeks had ekg and cbc. Sugars a tad up, but Dr. thinks that would be from not moving much and temp. Ekg pretty good, but long spikes indicates hypertension over time.

So now BP is averaging about 135/80, still high, but not stroke in immediate future.

So in order to avoid eating out and still enjoy what I'm having I've been trying some changes.

I think I've mentioned before that finding decent tasting meat around here is more than challenging. Fish? Impossible. Actually it may be the awful fish smells that make the meat so unappealing.

In any case, the doc wants me to gain 5-10lbs, while keeping sugar and sodium down.

So 6 weeks ago I decided to try Butcher Box. I ordered the small box, supposed to be for a month, but it's flexible. I don't eat meat or fish everyday. So it currently looks like 2 months for me, which comes out to about $20 a week. It's really good and for a roast or a lb of chicken breaks, I pack in freezer containers with veg and carb and have dinner ready for heating when home at 11pm. Before I'd just heat up soup or skip altogether, which resulted in dropping a bit too much.

This week I'm adding Wild Alaska Fish box. Of course I'm not going to freeze cooked fish. But the fish cooks fast, so just going to freeze portions of sides and quick cook fish. I really prefer fish to meat, but not supposed to eat more than 2-3 times a week.

Anyone have any other ideas I might add or some really good recipes?
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-20-2022 at 09:18 PM.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks icansayit, SassyLady, NightTrain, jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

FYI Minute Jasmine Rice Cups are a wonder! Not that awful weird rice, really good rice in 1 minute in micro!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Hope you feel better soon.

Everything you described was nearly exactly like what my wife had last year. Two overnights in the hospital and the doc found her POTASSIUM levels were dangerously low. So they first gave her an overnight constant Drip (saline solution...something) that brought her level up in a few hours. And before bringing her home. They prescribed Potassium tablets started with 3 per day, then 2 until down to 1.
    Too much Potassium can also trigger the same effects.
    Not a medicine kind of guy here by any means. But oddly...the best cure to keep the potassium level normal is....BANANA's...one a day or every other day if you can.
    Just a suggestion. Check with your Doc. Get Well Grandma!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

5. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icansayit View Post
    Everything you described was nearly exactly like what my wife had last year. Two overnights in the hospital and the doc found her POTASSIUM levels were dangerously low. So they first gave her an overnight constant Drip (saline solution...something) that brought her level up in a few hours. And before bringing her home. They prescribed Potassium tablets started with 3 per day, then 2 until down to 1.
    Too much Potassium can also trigger the same effects.
    Not a medicine kind of guy here by any means. But oddly...the best cure to keep the potassium level normal is....BANANA's...one a day or every other day if you can.
    Just a suggestion. Check with your Doc. Get Well Grandma!
    You're right about potassium. I already had incorporated one a day into diet when hypertension hit in my late 40s. Spinach also good source.

7. Thanks icansayit thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Got pretty darn sick Christmas Eve, was down 2 weeks, not covid. Well blood pressure was really out of whack, first reading was 215/105! Yeah. Since already was under 110, keeping to low sodium, and walking average of 16k steps per day, meds was really only recourse. Over the course of 2 weeks had ekg and cbc. Sugars a tad up, but Dr. thinks that would be from not moving much and temp. Ekg pretty good, but long spikes indicates hypertension over time.

So now BP is averaging about 135/80, still high, but not stroke in immediate future.

So in order to avoid eating out and still enjoy what I'm having I've been trying some changes.

I think I've mentioned before that finding decent tasting meat around here is more than challenging. Fish? Impossible. Actually it may be the awful fish smells that make the meat so unappealing.

In any case, the doc wants me to gain 5-10lbs, while keeping sugar and sodium down.

So 6 weeks ago I decided to try Butcher Box. I ordered the small box, supposed to be for a month, but it's flexible. I don't eat meat or fish everyday. So it currently looks like 2 months for me, which comes out to about $20 a week. It's really good and for a roast or a lb of chicken breaks, I pack in freezer containers with veg and carb and have dinner ready for heating when home at 11pm. Before I'd just heat up soup or skip altogether, which resulted in dropping a bit too much.

This week I'm adding Wild Alaska Fish box. Of course I'm not going to freeze cooked fish. But the fish cooks fast, so just going to freeze portions of sides and quick cook fish. I really prefer fish to meat, but not supposed to eat more than 2-3 times a week.

Anyone have any other ideas I might add or some really good recipes?
    Glad to heat things are better for ya in the health department!!

As for ideas...

Well, asking the wrong one here, as my first recommendation would be a big ass steak! Or a big prime rib of course!

But you could always get some Halibut of we're talking Alaska. Best fish I ever tasted in my life I think! Sharon made it when I was there. And it was free! But I would imagine expensive to get from there, but not sure about local prices as I have never tried.

And then we can talk King crab! You can almost have an entire meal out of just one long leg and a claw! But of course like 4-6 of them would fit nicely. But them fu***rs are expensive too! But boy what a treat they are!!

Next time I go you are definitely having to bring your butt up there!! Oh man, in addition to all the fun and sights is the great food!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

9. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes icansayit, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Glad to heat things are better for ya in the health department!!

As for ideas...

Well, asking the wrong one here, as my first recommendation would be a big ass steak! Or a big prime rib of course!

But you could always get some Halibut of we're talking Alaska. Best fish I ever tasted in my life I think! Sharon made it when I was there. And it was free! But I would imagine expensive to get from there, but not sure about local prices as I have never tried.

And then we can talk King crab! You can almost have an entire meal out of just one long leg and a claw! But of course like 4-6 of them would fit nicely. But them fu***rs are expensive too! But boy what a treat they are!!

Next time I go you are definitely having to bring your butt up there!! Oh man, in addition to all the fun and sights is the great food!
    The box I'm getting is salmon, halibut, prawns, and some other white fish. It's flash frozen at sea and sustainable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For what it's worth I've found this guy on YouTube to be extremely informative.
    He goes into great detail about what he says unlike the typical MD.
    He addresses many health issues on his site.

https://www.youtube.com/c/drekberg/videos
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

12. Thanks Kathianne, NightTrain thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Kath ... I watch a lot of this lady's videos. Very healthy lifestyle ... not just recipes. Talks about meal prep for each season. How to organize your kitchen, etc.

This is an easy salmon recipe.

Downshiftology.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

14. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    Kath ... I watch a lot of this lady's videos. Very healthy lifestyle ... not just recipes. Talks about meal prep for each season. How to organize your kitchen, etc.

This is an easy salmon recipe.

Downshiftology.
    That is very close to my own basic salmon recipe. Dill is a must for me! I use 1 T unsalted butter and 1 T garlic infused olive oil. I credit my good HDL on olive oil and fish, especially salmon.

If memory serves, first time I visited you, I brought some olive oil as gift? To me, it says, "Good health and good eatig!"

16. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

My order arrived yesterday, just after I left for work.my roommate unpacked and put in freezer. I offered her a filet, she chose cod. Said it was really good.

I made coho salmon tonight. Pan fried in Grapeseed oil and butter. Finished with a grainy mustard boubon sauce. Picked the sauce up in Tucson, a gourmet/bakery place SassyLady introduced me to.

The salmon was great, even bits of skin that were really crispy. Paired it up with jasmine rice and spinach. Super tasty!

18. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    My order arrived yesterday, just after I left for work.my roommate unpacked and put in freezer. I offered her a filet, she chose cod. Said it was really good.

I made coho salmon tonight. Pan fried in Grapeseed oil and butter. Finished with a grainy mustard boubon sauce. Picked the sauce up in Tucson, a gourmet/bakery place SassyLady introduced me to.

The salmon was great, even bits of skin that were really crispy. Paired it up with jasmine rice and spinach. Super tasty!
    I'm coming to your house for dinner! No more olive garden!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

20. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    I'm coming to your house for dinner! No more olive garden!
    But the Italian Donuts!
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-27-2022 at 12:12 PM.

22. Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I shoulda taken a pic, but devoured it. Seriously restaurant quality and so simple.

A nice piece of Pacific cod from Wild Alaska Co.
    Mixed Dijon mustard, Mike's Hot Honey Mustard, and a few shakes garlic salt.
    Put filet on parchment covered sheet. Brushed with mustard.
    Firmly pushed toasted, chopped walnuts into filet.
    Preheated 400f 12 min.
    Sides were linguini with basil pesto and garlic spinach.
    Drizzled all with lemon infused olive oil. So good!

24. Likes SassyLady liked this post