Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default The Irony of Putin Trying to Use Russian History as Justification

The single kernel of truth in Putin's crazy little head is that historically, Eastern Ukraine has been ethnically Russian since whenever. All of Ukraine has been under Russian domination for just as long. I have made note that the usual suspects who can't handle the truth completely ignore or deny this as it is an inconvenient truth to their narrative of "democratic Ukraine", = not helping.

Some history for Putin: of all the periods of Russian domination, his current debacle resembles mostly the Bolshevik Revolution. That did not bode well for that idiot, Czar "Joe Biden Sr" Nicholas. Matter of fact, it ended a 300 + year reign of the Romanov Dynasty.

The autocratic monarch Nicholas involved Russia in WWI on the allied side and German Gen's von Ludendorf and von Hindenburg handed Russia its ass. Russian economy was shit, and army desertion was high. What started as a workers walk-out demonstration morphed into a nation-wide revolution that deposed the Czar and sued for peace and withdrawal from WWI in 1917. As a result, Russia was forced to cede most anything it claimed in Eastern Europe.

This to preface my suggestion that Putin should be more concerned about the reaction by the Russian people than he is the West's opinions/reaction. The last time the Russian government struggled to hold itself together internally like we are seeing now is when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Putin's got troops deserting in the field. I'm not Russian, but that's an unthinkable, mortal sin in my military mind. Unless justified. There are certain lines even professional military people aren't going to cross and if that's the case, Putin's got a REAL problem. Allies refusing to cooperate. Troops walking off the line. Most of the civilized World lining up to slap some kind of sanction on him.

I think he's done politically, win. lose or draw. If he's not careful, he might wind up in an unmarked grave in a Russian forest where they found the Romanovs.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The single kernel of truth in Putin's crazy little head is that historically, Eastern Ukraine has been ethnically Russian since whenever. All of Ukraine has been under Russian domination for just as long. I have made note that the usual suspects who can't handle the truth completely ignore or deny this as it is an inconvenient truth to their narrative of "democratic Ukraine", = not helping.

Some history for Putin: of all the periods of Russian domination, his current debacle resembles mostly the Bolshevik Revolution. That did not bode well for that idiot, Czar "Joe Biden Sr" Nicholas. Matter of fact, it ended a 300 + year reign of the Romanov Dynasty.

The autocratic monarch Nicholas involved Russia in WWI on the allied side and German Gen's von Ludendorf and von Hindenburg handed Russia its ass. Russian economy was shit, and army desertion was high. What started as a workers walk-out demonstration morphed into a nation-wide revolution that deposed the Czar and sued for peace and withdrawal from WWI in 1917. As a result, Russia was forced to cede most anything it claimed in Eastern Europe.

This to preface my suggestion that Putin should be more concerned about the reaction by the Russian people than he is the West's opinions/reaction. The last time the Russian government struggled to hold itself together internally like we are seeing now is when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Putin's got troops deserting in the field. I'm not Russian, but that's an unthinkable, mortal sin in my military mind. Unless justified. There are certain lines even professional military people aren't going to cross and if that's the case, Putin's got a REAL problem. Allies refusing to cooperate. Troops walking off the line. Most of the civilized World lining up to slap some kind of sanction on him.

I think he's done politically, win. lose or draw. If he's not careful, he might wind up in an unmarked grave in a Russian forest where they found the Romanovs.
    Been saying this from the start. Wars are won or lost at home. Thousands protesting and being arrested since the start, did not bode well.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Been saying this from the start. Wars are won or lost at home. Thousands protesting and being arrested since the start, did not bode well.
    Difference being: we have "protestors" that take over Federal buildings, and at least if they are lefties, nothing is done. Like it or not, it's SOS for us. Only conservatives get arrested here for protesting.

Far more dangerous to do so in Russia historically and for now ). If Russians are doing so in numbers for the World to see, it's a bigger problem that Putin thinks. One has a lot more to consider protesting there than they do in the West. That is why I consider it more significant.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Difference being: we have "protestors" that take over Federal buildings, and at least if they are lefties, nothing is done. Like it or not, it's SOS for us. Only conservatives get arrested here for protesting.

Far more dangerous to do so in Russia historically and for now ). If Russians are doing so in numbers for the World to see, it's a bigger problem that Putin thinks. One has a lot more to consider protesting there than they do in the West. That is why I consider it more significant.
    Huge difference between the violence of blm/antifa looting/quasi social justice rhetoric and the Civil Rights/Vietnam protests. Yes, there were violent cells like SDS, they were not the norm.

It could certainly be argued for good reasons that the college students today are truly ignorant of history,so the jury is out.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post