Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Nukes

What's the first thing people think of when someone says "nukes"? Hiroshima, Nagasaki, doomsday, end of the World, etc.

So I'll throw this out there because I was in when it became a "big thing/great idea" in the early 80s: tactical/battlefield nukes. Limited nukes that can be fired from tanks/artillery. Still going to make the place glow, just a much smaller place. Both the Russians and US came up with that great idea, then most of Europe wouldn't let us deploy them. Didn't stop Brezhnev.

The US has unmatched air superiority. On the ground, the Russians have us at least 4-1 in tanks and artillery and an even bigger disadvantage manpower-wise. Note that this does not account for NATO manpower and materiel.

Anyhoo, I suspect (yep, a guess) this is what Putin is threatening to use. Ukraine/Europe's no good to anyone if it's uninhabitable for a thousand years. Russia is way ahead of everyone in nukes. Good thing SALT I and II applied to BOTH parties IIRC, the tactical nukes are not included in SALT I or II, but we didn't pursue them while Russia did.

No matter what, everyone loses.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes NightTrain liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I really don't think he'll use them. If he does, there won't be any place he can hide, he'll be similar to the hunt for Bin Laden only on an international scale.

I suppose he could and then eat a bullet just out of spite for losing... but that's pretty crazy. Hard to predict what a crazy megalomaniac will do with stress at 10/10.

He's already a war criminal. I'm wondering when the rewards will start being offered. That nuke button is probably the only reason they haven't been put out yet.

With the economy being decimated in biblical proportions, a $20 million USD would be mighty attractive. Especially if you've recently lost your $600 million yacht and you're penniless.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

4. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    I really don't think he'll use them. If he does, there won't be any place he can hide, he'll be similar to the hunt for Bin Laden only on an international scale.

I suppose he could and then eat a bullet just out of spite for losing... but that's pretty crazy. Hard to predict what a crazy megalomaniac will do with stress at 10/10.

He's already a war criminal. I'm wondering when the rewards will start being offered. That nuke button is probably the only reason they haven't been put out yet.

With the economy being decimated in biblical proportions, a $20 million USD would be mighty attractive. Especially if you've recently lost your $600 million yacht and you're penniless.
    Based on everything I have read and observed, I think he'll use them if he doesn't get what he's after. That has always been the fear, since before I can remember. We grew up with it.

Not what happens on the battlefield between the US and Russia as much as what happens when one side feels it's lost beyond the point of recovery and there's nothing else to lose?

That line of thought shifted away from the USSR and toward Iran in the 80s. An even scarier scenario when dealing with an regime that has no problem with blowing itself up if it can't have its way. I see Putin's threat as just a preview of the reality that's going to come when Iran gets them.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Based on everything I have read and observed, I think he'll use them if he doesn't get what he's after. That has always been the fear, since before I can remember. We grew up with it.

Not what happens on the battlefield between the US and Russia as much as what happens when one side feels it's lost beyond the point of recovery and there's nothing else to lose?

That line of thought shifted away from the USSR and toward Iran in the 80s. An even scarier scenario when dealing with an regime that has no problem with blowing itself up if it can't have its way. I see Putin's threat as just a preview of the reality that's going to come when Iran gets them.
    As unpredictable as Putin is, there's one thing I'm sure of - he loves Russia and certainly doesn't want his legacy to be of turning that country into a radioactive hellscape.

And the prospect of muslim jihadists having nukes should be a HELL NO! from every thinking human. If you enter eternal glory for blowing yourself up, how much greater taking a few million along with you?
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    As unpredictable as Putin is, there's one thing I'm sure of - he loves Russia and certainly doesn't want his legacy to be of turning that country into a radioactive hellscape.

And the prospect of muslim jihadists having nukes should be a HELL NO! from every thinking human. If you enter eternal glory for blowing yourself up, how much greater taking a few million along with you?
    I wasn't think turning his beloved country into a hellish landscape. More like: if i can't win, nobody can, and turning the World into a hellish landscape.

Multiply that by as many thousands as you want with ragheads and a convert or die mentality and we will blow up the World if you don't.