Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Military tactics

I am curious, are there any good books to study military tactics. Even if I never end up joining the military, it is fascinating and Id love to learn for myself tactics and understand what it takes to defeat the enemy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even though I have no military experience I can advise, yes, there are lots of texts and they are freely available. Having said that I am going to add that it's the limit of my knowledge.

I do remember, many years ago, the BBC used to have a weekly tv programme hosted by General Sir Brian Horrocks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Horrocks

There was (this is in the 1960s) no flashy computer-generated images, no whizz-bang noises, no detailed replication of battles or conversations using actors, just General Horrocks - aided by the occasional image or model - explaining what happened in some of the world's greatest battles. It was riveting stuff and he presented it brilliantly. I don't suppose you'd find a dvd of them now but if there was a dvd of that series I'd grab it immediately.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Jeff's right on that The Art of War is a good start. Also look into the War College, they may offer some interesting reading as well. Just about any history book about specific battles will talk about the tactics used in the battle.

It depends on what your looking for as well. There are squad level tactics (tactical) up to strategic level. The more troops, the more involved the tactics become.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even if I never end up joining the military
    (Which you wont)

Avatar, you're just one of many young chickenhawk Republicans demanding we stay in Iraq and yet at the same time coming up with some type of excuse as to why you aren't over there serving.
    Lemme guess yours..."It just isn't for me"...."I'm going to college"...

The truth is, there is no excuse as to why you aren't over there. It appears most of avatar and his Republican peers prefer to be cheerleaders instead of actually getting into the game they support.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFGit_tZDqs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFGit_tZDqs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    Last edited by Guernicaa; 10-07-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Sun Tzu's The Art of War.
    read it. very confusing book. maybe because its a translation. i plan to read it again soon though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Obama08 View Post
    (Which you wont)

Avatar, you're just one of many young chickenhawk Republicans demanding we stay in Iraq and yet at the same time coming up with some type of excuse as to why you aren't over there serving.
    Lemme guess yours..."It just isn't for me"...."I'm going to college"...

The truth is, there is no excuse as to why you aren't over there. It appears most of avatar and his Republican peers prefer to be cheerleaders instead of actually getting into the game they support.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFGit_tZDqs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFGit_tZDqs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    I dont see you serving.

Oh thats right. Rather than support the troops or serve youd rather just be a coward.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Rather than support the troops or serve youd rather just be a coward.
    Or a White Stripes groupie!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

read it. very confusing book. maybe because its a translation. i plan to read it again soon though.
    I tried to read it, realised when I was halfway through it I couldn't understand it because I was holding it upside down - those pictograms are hell.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why should those who are against this war go fight in it?

If you thought the war was wrong would you sign up to fight in it?

Those who think this is a worthy scarafice for our country and are of age should be signing up for duty. If you are willing to let another American do the scaraficing and not willing to put your money where your mouth is than YOU are the one who is letting others sacrafice in your stead.

Those who feel we are not fighting in Americas best interest are right not to sign up. The fewer there are to fight it the sooner we will have to come home.

The more there are to fight this war the better for Bush. If you like what Bush is doing and refuse to help than YOU ARE A CHICKEN HAWK and are willing to bluster about the war but too chicken shit to sacrafice what you insist others should sacrafice for you.

I have friends who believed in this war so they signed up and they have MY FULL SUPPORT. You who refuse to go help them in what you "say" you believe in you have some self examination to undergo. There are people over there right now with kids ,wifes , house payments and they still went because they have the Decency to truely support what they say they stand for. Many on the right refuse to actually support what they say they stand for . They just let others do their dirty business.
    Last edited by truthmatters; 10-08-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthmatters View Post
    Why should those who are against this war go fight in it?

If you thought the war was wrong would you sign up to fight in it?

Those who think this is a worthy scarafice for our country and are of age should be signing up for duty. If you are willing to let another American do the scaraficing and not willing to put your money where your mouth is than YOU are the one who is letting others sacrafice in your stead.

Those who feel we are not fighting in Americas best interest are right not to sign up. The fewer there are to fight it the sooner we will have to come home.

The more there are to fight this war the better for Bush. If you like what Bush is doing and refuse to help than YOU ARE A CHICKEN HAWK and are willing to bluster about the war but too chicken shit to sacrafice what you insist others should sacrafice for you.

I have friends who believed in this war so they signed up and they have MY FULL SUPPORT. You who refuse to go help them in what you "say" you believe in you have some self examination to undergo. There are people over there right now with kids ,wifes , house payments and they still went because they have the Decency to truely support what they say they stand for. Many on the right refuse to actually support what they say they stand for . They just let others do their dirty business.
    Those who complain about others not fighting who arent fighting themselves are hypocrites. I know how you on the left love hypocrites.

Of course, its too much to ask that you or anyone else on the left have some sort of standards. Its too much to ask you to support the troops. Oh you have no problem benefiting from what the troops do by protecting our rights to free speech to attack them. You have no problem attacking everything the troops do.

So why should we listen to you who doesnt even have the decency to support the people dying to protect you when you talk about decency?

I am so sick and tired of you guys preaching standards you refuse to live.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    I tried to read it, realised when I was halfway through it I couldn't understand it because I was holding it upside down - those pictograms are hell.
    like i said, its a translation. Not easy to understand.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those who complain about others not fighting who arent fighting themselves are hypocrites. I know how you on the left love hypocrites.

Of course, its too much to ask that you or anyone else on the left have some sort of standards. Its too much to ask you to support the troops. Oh you have no problem benefiting from what the troops do by protecting our rights to free speech to attack them. You have no problem attacking everything the troops do.

So why should we listen to you who doesnt even have the decency to support the people dying to protect you when you talk about decency?

I am so sick and tired of you guys preaching standards you refuse to live.
    '

Where have I EVER said anything which indicated I dont support the troops?

You are now just LYING!

I dont support this president or this war. The troops I always support no matter what we order them to do. They dont make policy they do what the president tells them to do.

You are young enough to go fight and you refuse to do so.....WHY?

My son wants to join the military and is putting it off because he does not want to be forced to fight in a war he knows is harming America. If he believed in this war he would already be there. YOU REFUSE TO FIGHT!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont see you serving.

Oh thats right. Rather than support the troops or serve youd rather just be a coward.
    Have you ever heard of the saying "If you're going to talk the talk then walk the walk" ????
    I'm not the one rallying that we stay in Iraq. I don't support what we're doing there. But on the other hand, you're one of the ones demanding that we stay there and rallying the cause. Therefore you should be over there.

If you "supported" the troops you'd be right over there helping them out. Not being a cheerleader.
    Last edited by Guernicaa; 10-08-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The military can use lawyers too . Didnt you just pass the bar?

Go sign up and see what you can do for your country instead of having OTHERS do the work you say is crucial to the protection of our country.

Come on avatar walk the walk instead of just talking the talk!