Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Cooking, Freezing, and Feeling Fallish

I took an additional 3 days off this week, so off M-F. New recliner was delivered, I've slept in recliner ever since shoulder surgery. Arm tends to lock up when I sleep in bed. So far, very comfy.

I've been cooking a bit, freezing much for both dinners at home and work. Got into breakfast with 'Pumpkin Pie Steel Oats' in crockpot. So good and I don't really like steel oats normally. Really like pumpkin pie which I added cranraisins and walnuts too. LOL!

Tuscan chicken, one skillet with lots of veggies, great sauce, and olives. Been cooking more Mediterranean meals lately. Tasty and heart healthy.

White Chicken Chili! Really good, perfect for work. So is Italian Wedding Soup, found 50/50 pork/beef blend at Fry's. Best for tiny meatballs. That with orzo, spinach and chicken broth. Yum.

One last pumpkin, sort of cheat Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread/Muffin Mix. Made chocolate chip muffins with more walnuts!

Next culinary self-challenge I'm going to try some of the freezer meals for Crockpot and for Instant Pot. Recipes where you put all ingredients in freezer bag and just dump in one of the small appliances when you want to make it. Sort of keeps mess to one day when you're ready for it, but still have meals ready when you want both to eat and not make a mess. LOL!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes fj1200, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I took an additional 3 days off this week, so off M-F. New recliner was delivered, I've slept in recliner ever since shoulder surgery. Arm tends to lock up when I sleep in bed. So far, very comfy.

I've been cooking a bit, freezing much for both dinners at home and work. Got into breakfast with 'Pumpkin Pie Steel Oats' in crockpot. So good and I don't really like steel oats normally. Really like pumpkin pie which I added cranraisins and walnuts too. LOL!

Tuscan chicken, one skillet with lots of veggies, great sauce, and olives. Been cooking more Mediterranean meals lately. Tasty and heart healthy.

White Chicken Chili! Really good, perfect for work. So is Italian Wedding Soup, found 50/50 pork/beef blend at Fry's. Best for tiny meatballs. That with orzo, spinach and chicken broth. Yum.

One last pumpkin, sort of cheat Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread/Muffin Mix. Made chocolate chip muffins with more walnuts!

Next culinary self-challenge I'm going to try some of the freezer meals for Crockpot and for Instant Pot. Recipes where you put all ingredients in freezer bag and just dump in one of the small appliances when you want to make it. Sort of keeps mess to one day when you're ready for it, but still have meals ready when you want both to eat and not make a mess. LOL!
    I sleep better in a recliner. My shoulders will go numb in the bed. The sofa absolutely kills my lower back. I don't sleep very well incase you can't tell. Getting old sucks
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I sleep better in a recliner. My shoulders will go numb in the bed. The sofa absolutely kills my lower back. I don't sleep very well incase you can't tell. Getting old sucks
    Yep I totally agree about sleeping and the recliner too! I'm kinda lucky being smallish. Got an 'urban' recliner from Lazyboy, under $1k. Lumber support built in for lower back.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I usually do steel cut oats with cinnamon, honey, and walnuts for breakfast so the pumpkin pie stuff sounds amazing!!

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Yep I totally agree about sleeping and the recliner too! I'm kinda lucky being smallish. Got an 'urban' recliner from Lazyboy, under $1k. Lumber support built in for lower back.
    I would do that, and have considered it before except I can't sleep solely in a recliner either. I probably need one of those adjustable beds but I think I can get a new truck about as cheap.

I'm not THAT big, Kathianne. I sleep on a twin just fine
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    I usually do steel cut oats with cinnamon, honey, and walnuts for breakfast so the pumpkin pie stuff sounds amazing!!
    I've tried them on stovetop, for like 20-30 minutes, just don't like texture. Hours in crockpot? Yep, that did it.

This recipe worked. Lots of spice. I subbed brown sugar for maple syrup, I prefer in this case. :

https://www.wellplated.com/pumpkin-o...ontainer-33750

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I would do that, and have considered it before except I can't sleep solely in a recliner either. I probably need one of those adjustable beds but I think I can get a new truck about as cheap.

I'm not THAT big, Kathianne. I sleep on a twin just fine
    This is pretty small, at least compared to the behemoth I had before. It was leather and I didn't need the bottom part, I could just kinda curl on seat. LOL! Moving that to living room with new cover-I pretty much wore it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I didn't like them at first either. We figured out that if we boil them for a few minutes and then let them sit over night they are perfect.

Thanks for the recipe!!

I've tried them on stovetop, for like 20-30 minutes, just don't like texture. Hours in crockpot? Yep, that did it.

This recipe worked. Lots of spice. I subbed brown sugar for maple syrup, I prefer in this case. :

https://www.wellplated.com/pumpkin-o...ontainer-33750
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

14. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I bought new flannel since moving to maryland. It's not yet cool enough to wear so I keep the house and office cool as i can so I can wear the flannel and feel cozy. Further, I buy several jugs of pumpkin spice creamer with each store visit; and decaf coffee so I can make a warm pumpkin-spice drink in the evenings....while wearing my flannel....under a blanket at times. Yes, it's ridiculous. Yes it invalidates my man card.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

16. Thanks Gunny, Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Back to 'fallish' which also means at least a tad of comfort food. Today I made something my mom used to make when we were pretty young kids, I don't remember it as we got older-mom's cooking got 'healthier.' LOL!

Anyhow, I don't know if you all had some version of 'Porcupines,' which as basically lightly seasoned meatballs with 1/2 C of long grain rice mixed in. As the meatballs cook in sauce, the rice makes little 'spikes' in them-thus the name. I found a recipe sort of like what I remembered, but had to season it more. Really good and definitely old school.

18. Likes fj1200 liked this post