Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Obama wants to be an instrument for God

I have many times heard liberals pan the president for speaking of faith and his desire to do the will of God. Now we have Obama, not only making a political speech from the pulpit (an action considered anathema for a conservative), we also have him desirous of being an "instrument of God."

I will be waiting for the cat calls and consistent calls for the endangerment of the tax-free status of the church to which Obama spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Source: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...th-and-values/

GREENVILLE, South Carolina (CNN) — After speaking to an evangelical church on Sunday in this traditionally conservative South Carolina city, Sen. Barack Obama said that Republicans no longer have a firm grip on religion in political discourse.

"I think its important particularly for those of us in the Democratic party to not cede values and faith to any one party," Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services.

"I think that what you're seeing is a breaking down of the sharp divisions that existed maybe during the nineties, when at least in politics the perception was that the Democrats were fearful of talking about faith, and on the other hand you had the Republicans who had a particular brand of faith that often times seemed intolerant or pushed people away," he said.

Obama noted that he was pleased leaders in the evangelical community like T.D. Jakes and Rick Warren were beginning to discuss social justice issues like AIDS and poverty in ways evangelicals were not doing before.

"I think that's a healthy thing, that we're not putting people in boxes, that everybody is out there trying to figure out how do we live right and how do we create a stronger America," Obama said.

During the nearly two hour service that featured a rock band and hip-hop dancers, Obama shared the floor with the church's pastor, Ron Carpenter. The senator from Illinois asked the multiracial crowd of nearly 4,000 people to keep him and his family in their prayers, and said he hoped to be "an instrument of God."

"Sometimes this is a difficult road being in politics," Obama said. "Sometimes you can become fearful, sometimes you can become vain, sometimes you can seek power just for power's sake instead of because you want to do service to God. I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God in the same way that Pastor Ron and all of you are instruments of God."

He finished his brief remarks by saying, "We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

Asked by CNN if he talks about faith more in churchgoing South Carolina than he does in the other early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire, Obama said: "I don't talk about it all the time, but when I'm in church I talk about it."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry bout that,

1. But,...Errr,..don't hold your breath Boogyman.
    2. The public outcry about political figures making speeches in churches only applies to Republicans.
    3. Seeing Republicans own the Religious Vote.

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas
    Last edited by chesswarsnow; 10-07-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    "At Times We Cry, At Time We Fly" ~CWN
    "See You Down The Road Man" ~ CWN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he is black.....he will get a pass.....btw......obama's god is allah.....wait and see....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Somebody call an ambulance for boogyman. I am afraid he is holding his breath waiting for an answer, and oxygen deprivation is dangerous.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 10-08-2007 at 12:02 AM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If i believed he was sincere id say go for it. I wish more people would want to be instruments for God. Unfortunately most people dont care and some who might claim to want it will really be using it for personal fame and gratification.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I say we leave the fundamentalists in charge of the Republican party and have the evangelicals and Catholics make a full move to take over the Democrats.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too would like to know what is the difference between what Barack Obama said here and the statements George Bush has made about God and Religion throughout his political career. I can tell Boogyman and Abbey have their opinions. I can't figure out CWN for the life of me! Nor am I certain about Manu. Avatar and PmP seem to be moderate on the issue.

Is there anyone that will share the point of view that Obama's statements were okay and different than what Bush said? Bush was accused of trying to tear down the Separation of Church and State by the left, at least that is how I saw it. Is what Obama doing any different?

Personally, I feel Bush was pandering to an audience and so is Obama.

CWN quick question, could it be that liberals are afraid of speaking out in favor of Obama's speech because of the retalliation they would expect from the majority of the site? I've been here two days and it is obvious that unlike another site I'm on, this site is heavily stacked to the right. It seems to me that a lefty had better be strong willed to stand up to the abuse they take here.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 10-08-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    I too would like to know what is the difference between what Barack Obama said here and the statements George Bush has made about God and Religion throughout his political career. I can tell Boogyman and Abbey have their opinions. I can't figure out CWN for the life of me! Nor am I certain about Manu. Avatar and PmP seem to be moderate on the issue.

Is there anyone that will share the point of view that Obama's statements were okay and different than what Bush said? Bush was accused of trying to tear down the Separation of Church and State by the left, at least that is how I saw it. Is what Obama doing any different?

Personally, I feel Bush was pandering to an audience and so is Obama.

CWN quick question, could it be that liberals are afraid of speaking out in favor of Obama's speech because of the retalliation they would expect from the majority of the site? I've been here two days and it is obvious that unlike another site I'm on, this site is heavily stacked to the right. It seems to me that a lefty had better be strong willed to stand up to the abuse they take here.

Immie
    Bush is definitely a panderer when it comes to religion. And so is obama.

As for the libs getting slammed here. That's because they lie or come in with their talking points. They get called on it here and don't get a free pass. They are use to getting away with their shit on other boards and get called on here.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry bout that,

1. But Obama may or may not feel he is close to Gawd, as far as I know, he could think he is destined to be *The Next President*.
    2. The problem revolves with all the Neoliberal spin being going on about how *President Bush*, said some things that tell where his heart is as far as Gawd is concerned.
    3. Seeing Obama belongs to this Neoliberal Party, he is betraying his base.
    4. Because the Neoliberals hate anything Gawdly, or sent by Gawd.
    5. One has to wonder who the religious types are within the Neoliberal Party, and what voice can they use in the party.
    6. There is always Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton I suppose.
    7. But do these people really represent what would be considered a *True Christian*?
    8. In my view, these two are nothing but Racists, and without conscience, they scare most *Christians* to death.
    9. There are some foundational truths of the Neoliberal Party, that I find fault with, and its sickening.
    10. I won't even need to point them out.

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas
    "At Times We Cry, At Time We Fly" ~CWN
    "See You Down The Road Man" ~ CWN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Somebody call an ambulance for boogyman. I am afraid he is holding his breath waiting for an answer, and oxygen deprivation is dangerous.
    LOL, you got that one right, the hypocrisy is maddening.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Bush is definitely a panderer when it comes to religion. And so is obama.

As for the libs getting slammed here. That's because they lie or come in with their talking points. They get called on it here and don't get a free pass. They are use to getting away with their shit on other boards and get called on here.
    You hit that right on the head in your second paragraph, Gaffer.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    LOL, you got that one right, the hypocrisy is maddening.
    Doggone it breathe before someone has to give you mouth to mouth!

It ain't coming from me so breathe!

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post

Okay, first I don't believe every liberal is a liar just like I don't believe every conservative white male is racist which I was told was the case today on another site. Well not every conservative white male but a good percentage of them.

There are liberal liars and sorry to say there are conservative liars.

Second, would someone please send me a copy of the Democratic take on this? I'd really like to see how they defend it. After all, I spent almost four and a half years trying to defend George Bush, I demand someone return the favor. Please.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Doggone it breathe before someone has to give you mouth to mouth!

It ain't coming from me so breathe!

Immie
    I have this mental picture of you standing over me going "I don't think you are going to make it man!"

LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    he is black.....he will get a pass.....btw......obama's god is allah.....wait and see....
    what makes you say that obama's God is Allah, when he is a Christian?

jd