Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Another trip across Rainbow Bridge

It's been a horrible month for me. My Chihuahua, Porter, who was 18.5 years old, was just simply getting worse and worse.

He had several falls either off the bed or on the stairs over the past year which left him with a bad back, and trouble walking with his rear legs. He was losing his sight and his hearing. He was old.

He got worse, then he got a little better. What made me think I could nurse him back to good health was only my stupidity. And my love for him and desperation. But then he stopped eating and drinking for 2 days and I knew. He lost weight very quickly and was ready, and he gave it his all with me for 18+ years. He was my best friend just as Jerome was my best friend.

But my wife was home when the vet came to our house for Jerome and I had to bail part of the way through. This time I brought Porter to the vet, and it was perhaps the hardest thing I ever had to do.

"You were my favorite hello and my hardest goodbye" - Unknown quote, fits for both of my best friends.

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Likes revelarts, Russ liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

My condolences, it's so hard.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

💔
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

6. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

My heart hurts for you Jim💔
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” —. Morticia Addams

8. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your pet. I feel for you. It is the reason I have refused to have another. There's always a "goodbye" at the end.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

10. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default Sad to learn and hear Jim

Most of us have known that love and watched it pass. So we know the pain as well.

Keep your memories of your friend, knowing You made his life a reward for both of you. From an old guy who's lost about six friends like that. That, unfortunately is Life.
    The tears never dry up Jim. Stay strong.
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

12. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So sorry, cute little guy.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

14. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Aww, man, Jim, I am so sorry. I know that the loss of a pet really hurts. My heartfelt condolences.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 - A wise man's heart directs him to the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him to the left.
    Wise men don't need advice, and fools won't take it - Ben Franklin
    "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

16. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Thanks everyone, means a lot.

I'm getting a tortoise that will live nearly 100 years next.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

18. Thanks SassyLady thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, fj1200, icansayit, revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Grief is the price we pay for love.

As always:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

You gave him a lifetime of doggy happiness and in return you got 18+ years of love.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

20. Thanks Kathianne, icansayit thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, icansayit, fj1200, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Grief is the price we pay for love.

As always:

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

You gave him a lifetime of doggy happiness and in return you got 18+ years of love.
    I can't get over the "one human centipede" portion of the comic!

I always ensure my animals get the best care and spoil them rotten every single day. I've been lucky to have long living animals, but still not long enough.

Oh, and Ixnay on the turtle I was looking at that would live to be between 120-150 years old. Site I read reminded me of 150 years of maintenance & food. Yikes.

I'll get another small dog eventually. When I bought Jerome from a breeder back in 1999 he was $850 and now looking at breeders I see they want between $3 and $4k. WTF? And about the same for a French Bulldog. Shit, even for a Chihuahua they want like $1500 to $2k. Porter came off of a farm in Georgia for free when he was 8 weeks old. Free!

22. Likes hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I can't get over the "one human centipede" portion of the comic!

I always ensure my animals get the best care and spoil them rotten every single day. I've been lucky to have long living animals, but still not long enough.

Oh, and Ixnay on the turtle I was looking at that would live to be between 120-150 years old. Site I read reminded me of 150 years of maintenance & food. Yikes.

I'll get another small dog eventually. When I bought Jerome from a breeder back in 1999 he was $850 and now looking at breeders I see they want between $3 and $4k. WTF? And about the same for a French Bulldog. Shit, even for a Chihuahua they want like $1500 to $2k. Porter came off of a farm in Georgia for free when he was 8 weeks old. Free!
    I don't care for chihuahua, but that is the most popular breed here in AZ! Shelters have jillions of them. They are nice, but I want a dog around 20-30 lbs.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't care for chihuahua, but that is the most popular breed here in AZ! Shelters have jillions of them. They are nice, but I want a dog around 20-30 lbs.
    Chihuahua's are weird little buggers. 2-6 lbs and will fight a Rottweiler if they had to! Or at least their growling and sharp teeth would lead you to believe that! They are generally a "one person" dog. If they stand on their hind legs they will look like "Dobby" from Harry Potter. I have read that they were good at removing mice/vermin and other rodents from the yard or house. But my experience tells me that they don't give one little crap about them! They love to go lay with other dogs in the bed or lay next to them - but if that same dog should try to lie with the Chihuahua, it's murder time!

As much as I loved Porter.... my wife hates Chihuahua's, and probably even more so after nearly 2 decades with my little man!

They are such great little lap dogs, and relaxing!!

25. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Chihuahua's are weird little buggers. 2-6 lbs and will fight a Rottweiler if they had to! Or at least their growling and sharp teeth would lead you to believe that! They are generally a "one person" dog. If they stand on their hind legs they will look like "Dobby" from Harry Potter. I have read that they were good at removing mice/vermin and other rodents from the yard or house. But my experience tells me that they don't give one little crap about them! They love to go lay with other dogs in the bed or lay next to them - but if that same dog should try to lie with the Chihuahua, it's murder time!

As much as I loved Porter.... my wife hates Chihuahua's, and probably even more so after nearly 2 decades with my little man!

They are such great little lap dogs, and relaxing!!

Well that pretty much describes Dachshunds also, another breed I'm not crazy about, well except for Julia Roberts. (RIP). Miss her awful, but not another dachshund.