Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why a True Christian cannot be a Modern Liberal

Here are just a few important reasons why a True Christian cannot be a modern liberal:

The Bible talks about how there's a spiritual change within someone after they've accepted Christ's atonement on the cross and have turned their hearts to him:

Romans 12:1,2
    1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

1 John 3
    5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

7Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous;

8the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.

9No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

10By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God;

Christ is VERY clear that those who are redeemed will no longer have the desire to practice sin or support it.

This is strong evidence that modern Liberalism is indeed at odds with what it is to be a true Christian and here are a few reasons why:

1. Liberals support homo-sexual marriage - marriage is a holy institution between a man and a woman originally setup by God in the Garden.

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."
    —Genesis 1:27

"And the LORD God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.' Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: 'This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.' Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed."
    —Genesis 2:18-25 (NKJV)

"For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due."
    —Romans 1:26-27 (NKJV)

2. Modern Liberals support pre-marital sex and any sort of "whatever feels good" montra to those unmarried. In fact, most of them support people "living together" before marriage. They also support a life of everything these scriptures warns against.

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
    —1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV)

"Knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,"
    —1 Timothy 1:9-10 (NKJV)

3. Liberals support the mudering of unborn children. Christ has a special place in his heart for Children as exemplified by a few scriptures:

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Matthew 18:6 But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

In addition, it's clear that God places serious value on babies and has gone to great lenghts in their creation:

Psalm 139
    13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
    14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
    15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place.
    When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
    16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
    All the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
    17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
    18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand.

The Bible is also clear that life begins at conception:
    Psalm 51:5
    "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me."

So here we have only 3 examples of why modern Liberalism is at odds with what it is to truly be a Christian. Unfortunately, all too many people these days have polluted what it means to be a Christian - they place the label on anyone who attends a "Christian" church and not whether or not someone has truly been born again.

The late Keith Green summarized this view very well when he said "Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger."

If you profess to be both a liberal and a Christian, I'd highly encourage you to pray and ask Christ to reveal to you his Word and how it shapes your world views, social and political views.

True Christians cannot sit and allow the above mentioned 2 points go without challenging them.
    Last edited by -Cp; 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

-CP: Thank you. I did not think it was possible to cram so much bullshit into one post.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GW in Ohio View Post
    -CP: Thank you. I did not think it was possible to cram so much bullshit into one post.
    Since you're at odds with the Bible - I can see why you'd write what you did....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Since you're at odds with the Bible - I can see why you'd write what you did....
    I heard the devil can cite scripture for his own purposes......

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

GW - that was random and purpose-less.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Go back to the monastery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    GW - that was random and purpose-less.
    So was HG's - just like predictable libs, they offer nothing more than drive-by insults without any real thought involved.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So was HG's - just like predictable libs, they offer nothing more than drive-by insults without any real thought involved.
    Whoa....hold on, bro.

You post a load of horseshit, with erzatz quotes from the Bible, to prove that liberals can't be true Christians, and you expect.......what? Dueling Bible quotes?

You are just the kind of Pharisee that Jesus teed off on.....fucking hypocrites who say, "Oh, Lord, why can't other men (i.e., liberals) be as virtuous and God-fearing as me?"

If you really think you are a Christian, you'd better watch that shit. Jesus never took kindly to hypocrites who went around judging their fellow men and declaring who was getting into heaven and who was not.

If you really believe in eternal hell fire, you'd better watch out you don't land your ass down there.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Whoa....hold on, bro.

You post a load of horseshit, with erzatz quotes from the Bible, to prove that liberals can't be true Christians, and you expect.......what? Dueling Bible quotes?

You are just the kind of Pharisee that Jesus teed off on.....fucking hypocrites who say, "Oh, Lord, why can't other men (i.e., liberals) be as virtuous and God-fearing as me?"

If you really think you are a Christian, you'd better watch that shit. Jesus never took kindly to hypocrites who went around judging their fellow men and declaring who was getting into heaven and who was not.

If you really believe in eternal hell fire, you'd better watch out you don't land your ass down there.

But you aren't christian - what gives you cause to debate how he used scripture? That's odd.

Frankly, his post shows clearly why modern Liberalism is at odds with Christianity. The scriptures he posted show the kinds of thoughts Christians should have.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And what exactly do you call this thread? Insightful? Take the plank out of your eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    But you aren't christian - what gives you cause to debate how he used scripture? That's odd.

Frankly, his post shows clearly why modern Liberalism is at odds with Christianity. The scriptures he posted show the kinds of thoughts Christians should have.
    Oh, so now you guys are dictating not only what kind of politics a "true Christian" must have, but also what he should be thinking......

I'll repeat this.....you guys are exactly the kind of Pharisees and hypocrites that Jesus condemned.

Wasn't it also Jesus who said, Judge not, lest ye be judged"?

If I were you guys, I would put a lid on the judgment business. You just might find yourselves in the lake of eternal fire.

That doesn't sound like fun.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, so now you guys are dictating not only what kind of politics a "true Christian" must have, but also what he should be thinking......

I'll repeat this.....you guys are exactly the kind of Pharisees and hypocrites that Jesus condemned.

If I were you guys, I would put a lid on the judgment business. You just might find yourselves in the lake of eternal fire.

You're right! Christ did tell the folks not to judge - but he also told them to discern - and in fact we're supposed to. That's why he carefully outlines the hallmarks of a true believer throughout scripture.

If I were you, I'd put a lid on the pretending you know scripture business.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

dude - the BIBLE dictates how Christians act and think - not us. Jesus didn't say that - not how you are using it. Christians are TASKED to call-out those not acting in accordance with scripture. Calling somebody on their opinions or actions is an act of LOVE. I believe the bible is VERY clear - if one supports the kinds of things Modern Liberals support, it's impossible they have even a modicum of understanding of, and love for Christ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

when one sits down and works to apply the teachings of scripture to modern life there are two challenges.....correctly understanding the scripture and correctly understanding the fact situation to which it is applied.....

now, if we assume for the sake of argument that the modern liberal is in favor of legal abortion and an amendment extending the understanding of marriage to a gay relationship, then the question is, can a Christian be in favor of legal abortion and a gay marriage amendment....

now, in the first situation, I doubt there is much disagreement among Christians regarding the teachings of Scripture on the sanctity of life.....however, there may be differences in belief with respect to whether those teachings apply to a fetus.....a disagreement on whether a fetus is a human being or not....I would say that it would be almost impossible for a Christian to be in favor of legalized abortion unless they honestly believed a fetus was not a human being.....(personally I think such a belief to be unscientific, but that isn't the issue of the moment).....

in the second situation, I doubt there could be much disagreement as to what a gay relationship is, or what marriage is.....the facts are not in dispute......however, there can be disagreement between Christians on what the understanding of scripture is with respect to gays......(again, personally I believe that the scriptures present a negative view on gay relationships, but again, that isn't the issue)....

in summary then, it is logical that a Christian could hold a modern liberal view of abortion and gay marriage if 1) they believed that a fetus is not a human being and 2) they interpreted scripture in a way that was not negative on the issue of gay relationships.......

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    in summary then, it is logical that a Christian could hold a modern liberal view of abortion and gay marriage if 1) they believed that a fetus is not a human being and 2) they interpreted scripture in a way that was not negative on the issue of gay relationships.......

To me, holding those views would preclude somebody from holding a favorable view of Christ. In the end, it's not up to the person to declare himself or herself a "Christian" - it's up to Christ.