Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Workout ideas

So what if anything or gym related do folks use for the belly fat? I went from 143 ^ 193 n 2 years time. I wanted the weight back on! But, probably should have started a better diet around 175-180 and started working out.

I started my diet and medication over a physical showing high cholesterol. So started eating less munchies and less gorging late at night.

When I started the gym you get 2 free training sessions and part of that was an assessment. Yeah, I told him I could assess myself in less than one word - and pulled up my shirt and jiggled my belly for him. But the weight was 192.6 at that moment. So same time yesterday I was already down to 185.7 - which I do attribute more so to the diet but that should level out soon as I'm just not eating enough to be a fat bastard.

After the 2 sessions I bought 6 more so that I could learn some more appropriate exercises. The good news was most of them were on the mats with the kettlebells and such, but littered all over those mats are women in tight leggings. Just sayin, didn't mind the training there. But if then by myself, I stick to riding the bike for 3 or 4 miles and then hit the machines for legs, bicep/tricep curling & some chest stuff. But I never hit the mats and such as I'm too shy and don't want people watching me.

Anyway, while those other things are great, they don't really have anything to quite useful in the machines for the belly/core. Using those kettle bells were rough on the stomach as well as planking exercises. Anything else that would be good to get rid of the belly fat? My arms and legs seem "normal" and certainly not fat/skinny, just skeleton white legs (so no shorts here either!). Just the jiggly belly. I just wanna stay at like 180ish but a tad more toned. I know my age so I don't plan on a 6 pack but can use some less belly or some plastic surgery.

What do you recommend @Gunny ?
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    So what if anything or gym related do folks use for the belly fat? I went from 143 ^ 193 n 2 years time. I wanted the weight back on! But, probably should have started a better diet around 175-180 and started working out.

I started my diet and medication over a physical showing high cholesterol. So started eating less munchies and less gorging late at night.

When I started the gym you get 2 free training sessions and part of that was an assessment. Yeah, I told him I could assess myself in less than one word - and pulled up my shirt and jiggled my belly for him. But the weight was 192.6 at that moment. So same time yesterday I was already down to 185.7 - which I do attribute more so to the diet but that should level out soon as I'm just not eating enough to be a fat bastard.

After the 2 sessions I bought 6 more so that I could learn some more appropriate exercises. The good news was most of them were on the mats with the kettlebells and such, but littered all over those mats are women in tight leggings. Just sayin, didn't mind the training there. But if then by myself, I stick to riding the bike for 3 or 4 miles and then hit the machines for legs, bicep/tricep curling & some chest stuff. But I never hit the mats and such as I'm too shy and don't want people watching me.

Anyway, while those other things are great, they don't really have anything to quite useful in the machines for the belly/core. Using those kettle bells were rough on the stomach as well as planking exercises. Anything else that would be good to get rid of the belly fat? My arms and legs seem "normal" and certainly not fat/skinny, just skeleton white legs (so no shorts here either!). Just the jiggly belly. I just wanna stay at like 180ish but a tad more toned. I know my age so I don't plan on a 6 pack but can use some less belly or some plastic surgery.

Fitbit has a slew of videos concentrating on stomach exercises for men/women. Youtube also has huge number of mat work, in the privacy of your own home. I get you on the shy mats. Me too!

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

4. Likes jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Fitbit has a slew of videos concentrating on stomach exercises for men/women. Youtube also has huge number of mat work, in the privacy of your own home. I get you on the shy mats. Me too!
    Funny, I'm on youtube all the time and forgot there is probably a million ideas and workouts on there. They also have you download an app to checkin daily and you can also attend remote classes from home. But the part I forgot was they said something about literature and other videos and such on there. I guess I should watch.

My wife has a mat and she told me to take it and go away. Not very nice of her, but any rate, maybe I could use it. It's like one of those yoga mats ya roll up. I can do a few different exercises on there and the planking stuff too. He told me to do it for 30 seconds, propped up on elbows, and told me to do 30 seconds. While it's quite easy and could do do more time than that, I likely won't be on the mats doing that with just me and the half naked gals there. While the view wasn't horrible, I feel stared at as they are in the middle of the floor oddly. Besides, the views from the bikes, elliptical & other machines is just as good. But I know those exercises would be very useful.

Them damn kettlebells are expensive, even for just one smaller one. Holy crap, wonder what one of those entire sets would cost? 2 would be enough, but just 2 15lb bells are $198!

Maybe I can ask those half nekkid ladies to help me? j/k would never do that. Without a lot of fireball anyway, but then all bets are off and those eyeballs and mouth do what they want, just what happens.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

6. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

The first, biggest, simplest rule: You can build World class abdominals and they aren't with crap if they're covered with fat. You cannot spot reduce fat. As I said, simple and basic, yet people have been trying to get around it since forever. Then there are those that will sell you just about anything as a magic bullet, but there isn't one.

If you're using a scale, throw it away. Use the mirror. It isn't what you weigh that matters. It's what your weight consists of that does. You're going to have belly fat. How much is what you want to work on. Those ripped to shred guys you see on the tube? They go 6 weeks basically starving to get that look for one photo shoot then hit Baskin Robbins and Pizza Hut when it's over. In other words, it's a lie unless you are genetically gifted. Too low body fat will kill you as quick as too high.

Reducing fat is as simple as burning more calories than you take in. Gets harder when you want to reduce fat and maintain lean muscle mass. Kathianne mentions Fitbit. Get yourself a tracker. Garmin I believe is one of the best. I am not totally enamored with Fitbit but it will give you a general idea of calories burned, active minutes, steps per day, of course, and heart rate.

Count your calories. Don't just count them though, know what they consist of. Get rid of as many of the empty ones as you can. Just don't go OCD on it. Setting unrealistic goals dooms one to failure. If you have a snacking problem, change your snacks. Try eating eggs, lean meat and raw veggies. If I eat the aforementioned and minimize any junk, it keeps the belly fat down.

Treat yourself when you can't take the rigors of the diet. Reasonably having a treat won't kill you any quicker than going insane feeling like a slave to your food intake.

Get an average of daily calorie burn. Fitbit/a tracker will give you a daily total and a weekly report that includes avg daily calorie burn.

Compare that to your intake. Do the math on where to cut down. The more you exercise, the more calories you burn. As Kathianne mentions, you can find thousands of workouts on the internet. I don't recommend Crossfit. That crap's crazy and a good way to injure yourself. If you aren't exercising now, I would go with a beginner, circuit exercise course with the bands. Try some yoga. It's good for stretching and balance. Use your body weight. Pullups, pushups and free squats. Walk for an hour a day. I wouldn't invest more than the bands and time until when and if you decide you want to move up.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

8. Thanks Black Diamond, Kathianne, jimnyc thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The first, biggest, simplest rule: You can build World class abdominals and they aren't with crap if they're covered with fat. You cannot spot reduce fat. As I said, simple and basic, yet people have been trying to get around it since forever. Then there are those that will sell you just about anything as a magic bullet, but there isn't one.

If you're using a scale, throw it away. Use the mirror. It isn't what you weigh that matters. It's what your weight consists of that does. You're going to have belly fat. How much is what you want to work on. Those ripped to shred guys you see on the tube? They go 6 weeks basically starving to get that look for one photo shoot then hit Baskin Robbins and Pizza Hut when it's over. In other words, it's a lie unless you are genetically gifted. Too low body fat will kill you as quick as too high.

Reducing fat is as simple as burning more calories than you take in. Gets harder when you want to reduce fat and maintain lean muscle mass. Kathianne mentions Fitbit. Get yourself a tracker. Garmin I believe is one of the best. I am not totally enamored with Fitbit but it will give you a general idea of calories burned, active minutes, steps per day, of course, and heart rate.

Count your calories. Don't just count them though, know what they consist of. Get rid of as many of the empty ones as you can. Just don't go OCD on it. Setting unrealistic goals dooms one to failure. If you have a snacking problem, change your snacks. Try eating eggs, lean meat and raw veggies. If I eat the aforementioned and minimize any junk, it keeps the belly fat down.

Treat yourself when you can't take the rigors of the diet. Reasonably having a treat won't kill you any quicker than going insane feeling like a slave to your food intake.

Get an average of daily calorie burn. Fitbit/a tracker will give you a daily total and a weekly report that includes avg daily calorie burn.

Compare that to your intake. Do the math on where to cut down. The more you exercise, the more calories you burn. As Kathianne mentions, you can find thousands of workouts on the internet. I don't recommend Crossfit. That crap's crazy and a good way to injure yourself. If you aren't exercising now, I would go with a beginner, circuit exercise course with the bands. Try some yoga. It's good for stretching and balance. Use your body weight. Pullups, pushups and free squats. Walk for an hour a day. I wouldn't invest more than the bands and time until when and if you decide you want to move up.
    I don't have a fitbit or Garmin - but I do have a Galaxy smart watch which my wife has been telling me to use too. I just have to remember to wake it off before the steam room. Also gotta find out if it tracks calories or if any apps are available for that. I know it tracks heart rate, daily steps & all that jazz - and can also setup various workout things in addition. --Damn though, my wife tried to push it all on me and I shrugged her away. Now I gotta crawl back weeks later and ask for help, or figure it out myself.

All very good advice and I truly appreciate it. Certainly not looking for a 6 pack, just hoping to build cardio just for my general health & perhaps a good sweat & to try and lose a little weight overall and get in better shape for myself. But really couldn't care less about big muscles or showing crap off or whatever. You read my food changes and yeah, the idea is to eat better overall and remain beneath or equal to what my body needs. I actually have had an easier time than I expected by eating less AND eating better (and wifey helping of course). Only time it sucks is like 10pm-11 or so when not far off from bed - my medicine makes me hungry and I feel like eating an entire pizza! But I have only snacked on some healthy granola bars, Oatmeal and such things.

Trying the yoga is an interesting idea, but that will only happen if I watch at home and partake. Pullups and pushups I haven't started just yet. I know I'm good for a large handful of pushups and can do multiple rotations, but I don't think I've tried to pullups in like 30 years. Hopefully I'll do better than Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. "Are you shittin me Pyle, you can't even give me one damn pullup"

Oh, I'm exrcising now, just that the trainer will be for 6 sessions only and the rest is on me. Equinox has an awesome clean gym! Everything remotely possible is there 'cept a pool. So it's really learning the exercises for when there, and then doing them. Then adding in stuff to do at home for other days. And while I also take care of the other body parts too, but overall concentrating on diet, losing like 10lbs as things progress in the beginning & then doing like you said and shooting to limit the belly and not shooting for a weight lifters body!

Gonna print out what you wrote as suggestions to keep near me. Hopefully the trainer will somehow help me put something together that he has already taught me and will. My brain is like the old Z 286 microprocessors - it's called LIFO and FIFO - and mine is the LIFO - last in, first out. In other words, I'm not retaining half that crap just yet, too many of them. The alternative is the LIFO, which is how most things work - last in and first out. My brain has that too, but the space on that hard drive is full I think. Gotta purge some of that data and make room for exercises.

Thanks!

10. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I don't have a fitbit or Garmin - but I do have a Galaxy smart watch which my wife has been telling me to use too. I just have to remember to wake it off before the steam room. Also gotta find out if it tracks calories or if any apps are available for that. I know it tracks heart rate, daily steps & all that jazz - and can also setup various workout things in addition. --Damn though, my wife tried to push it all on me and I shrugged her away. Now I gotta crawl back weeks later and ask for help, or figure it out myself.

All very good advice and I truly appreciate it. Certainly not looking for a 6 pack, just hoping to build cardio just for my general health & perhaps a good sweat & to try and lose a little weight overall and get in better shape for myself. But really couldn't care less about big muscles or showing crap off or whatever. You read my food changes and yeah, the idea is to eat better overall and remain beneath or equal to what my body needs. I actually have had an easier time than I expected by eating less AND eating better (and wifey helping of course). Only time it sucks is like 10pm-11 or so when not far off from bed - my medicine makes me hungry and I feel like eating an entire pizza! But I have only snacked on some healthy granola bars, Oatmeal and such things.

Trying the yoga is an interesting idea, but that will only happen if I watch at home and partake. Pullups and pushups I haven't started just yet. I know I'm good for a large handful of pushups and can do multiple rotations, but I don't think I've tried to pullups in like 30 years. Hopefully I'll do better than Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. "Are you shittin me Pyle, you can't even give me one damn pullup"

Oh, I'm exrcising now, just that the trainer will be for 6 sessions only and the rest is on me. Equinox has an awesome clean gym! Everything remotely possible is there 'cept a pool. So it's really learning the exercises for when there, and then doing them. Then adding in stuff to do at home for other days. And while I also take care of the other body parts too, but overall concentrating on diet, losing like 10lbs as things progress in the beginning & then doing like you said and shooting to limit the belly and not shooting for a weight lifters body!

Gonna print out what you wrote as suggestions to keep near me. Hopefully the trainer will somehow help me put something together that he has already taught me and will. My brain is like the old Z 286 microprocessors - it's called LIFO and FIFO - and mine is the LIFO - last in, first out. In other words, I'm not retaining half that crap just yet, too many of them. The alternative is the LIFO, which is how most things work - last in and first out. My brain has that too, but the space on that hard drive is full I think. Gotta purge some of that data and make room for exercises.

Thanks!
    Snacks: I get this from HEB (grocery), but can be made: It's a tray of meat cut sort of like cut Slim Jims and cut squares of cheese. I toss the crackers. I get the spicy beef ones so I get my spicy craving and snack craving covered at once. Better than carb loading at bedtime with pizza or a bag of chips. It's still food and still calories, but mostly protein.

I can't do "healthy" snacks. However, I'm not and never really have been a junk food eater. The biggest culprit is all that "instant" crap in the panty. Hamburger Helper, Spaghetti-Os, Ramen, and any other pre-processed, "easy" BS loaded with preservatives, sodium and all kinds of crap you can't spell. Reading the labels on that crap ought to cure anyone.

Not a sugar fiend either. Handful of Hershey's kisses and I'm good for the day. As opposed to the whole bag

I also eat about 8 times a day in small quantities. Gives food time to digest better. Sucks if you get stuck somewhere with the American, 3 meals a day routine going on. I gave them fits in the hospital After awhile you get where you can't even eat big meals and don't want to.

Pullups are a good test of overall strength. You vs your bodyweight in any exercise is. If you get ballsy, try standing on your hands against the door and doing pushups. I'd suggest a good pillow under your head if you try. You might damage the floor otherwise
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke