Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Pelosi Agrees - Censor God From Flag Certificates

It is sad when the word God cannot be included on US flag certificates. What is next from the left?

U.S. Capitol: 'God' a No-Go on Flag Certificates
    Thursday, October 11, 2007

By Major Garrett

WASHINGTON — When 17-year-old Andrew Larochelle of Dayton, Ohio, crafted a plan to send his grandfather the gift of a flag that had flown over the U.S. Capitol, he never thought his sentiments about "God, country and family" would be questioned.

The Eagle Scout was surprised, however, when the personal inscription he requested attached to a flag he purchased from the U.S. Capitol was censored. The teen said he wrote, "In honor of my grandfather Marcel Larochelle, and his dedication and love of God, country and family."

The flag flew on Sept. 11, Marcel Larochelle's birthday. But when Andrew finally received the flag in the mail on Sept. 30, "God" was taken out of his note.

"I was shocked that the word 'God' would be taken off a personal message from my son to his grandfather," Andrew's father, Paul Larochelle, told FOX News.

The family contacted Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, who had sought to fulfill the flag request. Turner requested an explanation for the omission from the Architect of the Capitol, the office responsible for flying American flags momentarily over the Capitol and then sending them to constituents who request them, all for a fee of $9.

Turner said he was told that AoC rules do not allow religious expressions on flag certificates.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has defended the omission made by acting Architect Stephen T. Ayers, and said she has no plans to change the existing rules.

House Republicans, however, have a different take. They say the Capitol has many religious expressions and Congress begins each day with a prayer. They want new rules allowing religious expressions on flag certificates. They also note that the message wasn't written by Congress but by a private citizen to another private citizen.

"This practice, which overturns a longstanding and long cherished congressional tradition, has rightly drawn outrage from the American people, who have grown weary of endless attempts by politicians and bureaucrats to bar the word God and even the most tacit references to faith from our public institutions," House Minority Leader John Boehner wrote in a letter to Pelosi.

Boehner said as speaker, Pelosi can instruct the acting Architect of the Capitol to set aside the written policy of his predecessor and restore the practice of including God's name.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301054,00.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Many people are catching on that religion and especially GOD are devisive instruments to world co-habitation. That every nation should deleted god from government is a goal for a peaceful coexistence.
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April15 View Post
    Many people are catching on that religion and especially GOD are devisive instruments to world co-habitation. That every nation should deleted god from government is a goal for a peaceful coexistence.
    Update

Capitol Architect Lets 'God' Fly On U.S. Flag Certificates
    Thursday, October 11, 2007

WASHINGTON — The Architect of the Capitol, responding to a public outcry, ruled Thursday that, from now on, the word "God" may be inscribed on certificates accompanying flags that have flown over the U.S. Capitol.

Acting Architect Stephen T Ayers said in a statement that the policy of disallowing political and religious statements on flag certificates has been inconsistently applied and does not fulfill the objectives of the office.

"It is inappropriate and beyond the scope of this agency’s responsibilities to censor messages from members," Ayers said.

"The Architect’s role is to certify that flags are appropriately flown over the U.S. Capitol, and any messages on the flag certificates are personal and between a Member of Congress and his or her constituents,” Ayers said.

“The Office of the Architect of the Capitol is a service organization. Flying the flags over the Capitol is an important constituent service for Members of Congress. When one of our services or policies doesn’t effectively serve Members of Congress or the American public, it needs to be
    changed immediately,” he added.

The issue gained widespread attention this week after 17-year-old Andrew Larochelle of Dayton, Ohio, inquired to his congressman, Rep. Michael Turner, why the personal inscription he requested to go with his flag was censored.

for the complete article
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301185,00.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should never have been done in the first place but I am glad they finally woke up to that fact.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    It should never have been done in the first place but I am glad they finally woke up to that fact.

Immie
    Chalk up another win for the good guys

Still no comment from San Fran Nan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Chalk up another win for the good guys

Still no comment from San Fran Nan
    Haven't you heard? She's too busy "praying" for President Bush.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Haven't you heard? She's too busy "praying" for President Bush.
    yea, but what is she "praying" for? That is the scary part

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I'm fairly certain it involves a doll and some pins.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'm fairly certain it involves a doll and some pins.
    and she does it for the children (with possibly a dart board)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as a lifelong congregationalist, this all seems like a tempest in a teapot to me. We are in the midst of a war and congress is all up in arms about flag certificates.

I, for one, do not need to see Christian iconography everywhere I look in order to hold fast to my faith. If I drive by the courthouse and there isn't a monument to the ten commandments on the front lawn, I am not going to suddenly forget what they are. If I drive by the town square during advent and there is not a nativity scene on public land paid for by taxpayers, I am not going to forget the importance of the child born on Christmas.

For me and for the members of MY church, our faith is strong enough to withstand hours on end spent in the public without symbols of that faith at every turn. I don't need my children to pray at school. They pray at home.

I realize that, unlike America when it was in its infancy, there are a whole lot of tax paying citizens who are NOT Christians. Our wonderful land of opportunity beckoned them.... and the poem on the statue of liberty did not say, "give me your tired, your poor CHRISTIANS"....

Christians should keep Jesus in their hearts and their homes and not worry so much about thrusting iconography glorifying Him in the faces of those fellow citizens who may not believe as tehy do.....especially if those symbols are paid for with public funds.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

you're absolutely missing the point, MFM - this case has NOTHING to do with 'thrusting iconography' in the faces of anyone. Your post is fodder for a different thread.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like there isn't enough proof Liberals are Commies This seals the deal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    you're absolutely missing the point, MFM - this case has NOTHING to do with 'thrusting iconography' in the faces of anyone. Your post is fodder for a different thread.
    it is about God in the public square... about God in our government. I do not believe that is the place for Him....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
    it is about God in the public square... about God in our government. I do not believe that is the place for Him....
    The request for the word God came from a 17 year old kid. The flag and certificate was for his Grandfather

It is not putting God in our government

BTW, when will you demand the House and Senate stop opening every session with a prayer?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That he will leave office alive!
    A chance for a new beginning, like a dawn of reconciliation.