Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Default Self-checkout machines now ask for tips in latest squeeze on customers

Hold yer fukkin breath The way I see it, the store should be tipping ME for ringing up and bagging my own groceries.

IIRC, didn't tipping at the grocery store go away for a couple of decades (with some exceptions)? Now suddenly it's back, but the person doing the work still isn't getting the tip. The ultimate in the arrogance of the mindset of doing me a favor by showing up at work

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/s...eeze-customers
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Black Diamond thanked this post
    Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Hold yer fukkin breath The way I see it, the store should be tipping ME for ringing up and bagging my own groceries.

IIRC, didn't tipping at the grocery store go away for a couple of decades (with some exceptions)? Now suddenly it's back, but the person doing the work still isn't getting the tip. The ultimate in the arrogance of the mindset of doing me a favor by showing up at work

As some with over 3 decades in corporate culture, I can explain this. It's mindless habit or mindless inertia. It can also called mindless obedience. Many people tip because they are essentially told to. That's the money making psychology behind it.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

4. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    As some with over 3 decades in corporate culture, I can explain this. It's mindless habit or mindless inertia. It can also called mindless obedience. Many people tip because they are essentially told to. That's the money making psychology behind it.
    I get the psychology. I'm just weighing it against my experience with customer service.

When I started working at legitimate, government-taxable jobs in 1976, customer service meant exactly that. Jobs were scarce in 76. If your happy ass wasn't all smiles, assholes and elbows when someone pulled up to the pump, offering to check under the hood, clean the windshield, etc, they'd find someone else that would. The purpose to your existence was to serve the customer. Don't like it? Dig ditches. If you pumped your own gas at the one, self-serve pump over at the end (next to the one unleaded pump ), gas was five or ten cents cheaper per gallon.

At the grocery store, the bag boy packed your groceries properly, then carted them out to your vehicle. Your tips was all he got for pay. There was a line a mile long for one of those jobs at the Base commissary. You had to be squared away appearance-wise and you best be happy as Hell to haul that little old lady's 20 bags to her car for your $1-2 tip or you'd be back to dragging a lawn mower through housing on Saturdays.

Customer service now is I'm supposed to be thankful enough to tip a machine for the clown showing up to work to stand and watch me ring up and bag my own groceries?

If there is even any such thing anymore, work ethic is definitely not what it used to be.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

First they want a tip and then ask you how many bags you would like for 10 cents apiece. AND also asking me to donate money to various causes.

And then after all of that - there are no bags! I have to ask the lady at Stop and Shop for the bags I paid for and get a dirty look from her.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Maybe I had more intelligent bosses. I never was good with customers. I worked at gas stations as well, but my first manager said I was better suited to collecting bad checks. Since I was still a minor, I could get away with repeatedly paying them a personal visit and getting good results. The second was more of a truck stop/ convenience store and the manager said I was better suited to deal with the drunks on the night shift.

I get the psychology. I'm just weighing it against my experience with customer service.

When I started working at legitimate, government-taxable jobs in 1976, customer service meant exactly that. Jobs were scarce in 76. If your happy ass wasn't all smiles, assholes and elbows when someone pulled up to the pump, offering to check under the hood, clean the windshield, etc, they'd find someone else that would. The purpose to your existence was to serve the customer. Don't like it? Dig ditches. If you pumped your own gas at the one, self-serve pump over at the end (next to the one unleaded pump ), gas was five or ten cents cheaper per gallon.

At the grocery store, the bag boy packed your groceries properly, then carted them out to your vehicle. Your tips was all he got for pay. There was a line a mile long for one of those jobs at the Base commissary. You had to be squared away appearance-wise and you best be happy as Hell to haul that little old lady's 20 bags to her car for your $1-2 tip or you'd be back to dragging a lawn mower through housing on Saturdays.

Customer service now is I'm supposed to be thankful enough to tip a machine for the clown showing up to work to stand and watch me ring up and bag my own groceries?

If there is even any such thing anymore, work ethic is definitely not what it used to be.
    Experienced Social Distancer ... waaaay before COVID.

8. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I am a generous tipper. But I ain't tipping the self checkout.

10. Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    First they want a tip and then ask you how many bags you would like for 10 cents apiece. AND also asking me to donate money to various causes.

And then after all of that - there are no bags! I have to ask the lady at Stop and Shop for the bags I paid for and get a dirty look from her.
    I forgot that part. Hasn't happened here yet. Reportedly, a lot of WalMarts also no longer provide bags. Have to bring your own. So I get to ring up and bag my own groceries in bags I have to provide or purchase, then tip the machine.

What exactly is this tip for? Aren't tips for service? So I'm tipping a machine for the presence of the 1 or 2 people that are there to make sure the machines don't f- up?

I'll shop elsewhere, thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    368 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tailfins View Post
    Maybe I had more intelligent bosses. I never was good with customers. I worked at gas stations as well, but my first manager said I was better suited to collecting bad checks. Since I was still a minor, I could get away with repeatedly paying them a personal visit and getting good results. The second was more of a truck stop/ convenience store and the manager said I was better suited to deal with the drunks on the night shift.
    I hear ya. I was a perfect fit as a drill instructor. Recruiting duty not so much I was smart enough to not do customer service for a living because I like to eat.

At least as I remember it, when you first start out, it's generally some form of customer service. Babysitting, lawn mowing, car washing etc. Nowadays it seems it's fast food or convenience store. Maybe a job at the mall. Unskilled labor. Once you have skills, you don't necessarily need customers. Just an employer that needs them