Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default What's up with OUR house ?

It seems like we're dying here.
    Where has everyone gone?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Where has everyone gone?
    You want guesses? Observations? Except when speaking for myself, that's all I got

If I was to point a finger at one thing I think has transformed this board into a tomb? Self-censorship. That thing we all rail about while being completely complicit. Won't, don't and/or feel one can't express what one truly thinks for fear of offending others. It isn't like we can't for the most part predict who will react how on what.

And if I was going to point a finger at the biggest single reason for THAT is the uniter, Donald Trump.

The next, other-ist thing strictly from my POV is: I've gotten to the point of throwing shit against the wall to see if any of it is going to stick, and nobody seems much interested in anything. going from memory, the most "prolific", attention-gathering thread I've posted in a couple of years was about grilling cheeseburgers

I generally grab headlines and from what's free out there. If I DID pay, and took the time to cut-n-paste paywall articles, I would hardly feel it worth the time, effort, and $ for the return of cricket's chirping.

And if someone happens upon this board and has a different opinion? No polite disagreement. Dogpile Been my observation noobs have to adjust, and so do we, and not much effort is put into either end.

Another guess/observation: social media. For some reason people want to put their whole lives (or the ones they wished they lived) on FB/Twitter/what have you. Anything put on that crap is like the bullet that left the gun -- there's no taking it back. Too easy to get unintentionally caught up in some shit that the morons out there turn into real World consequences.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Kathianne, Mr. P, hjmick thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, revelarts, hjmick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I'm with Gunny, the inability to discuss Trump in terms less than adoration in 2016 caused changes in myself and I believe others. I gave and returned less than civil discourse. I realized my very early instincts that Trump had awoken, not caused, a toxicity I didn't think was widespread in the conservative tent. Truly was manifested as evangelicals and leaders became the leaders in spite of all the obvious problems. There was no ask for forgiveness nor pledge of change. Results were all that mattered.

Trump won and kept campaign pledges, most importantly judges. The left lied, tried, impeached, and keeps doing so. The left has more people, more experience and the MSM. It's not stopping the right from trying to outgunned them, win or lose.

There's no one speaking to me any longer.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

6. Thanks Mr. P, Gunny, hjmick thanked this post
    Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Where has everyone gone?
    I can speak to only a few things. Myself - been dealing with some personal/private issues and dealing with a few things over past several months. Planning on trying to get back on the horse now, but not sure how much it matters.

My posting as one person can't dictate the board, nor should the posting of one other posting. It takes a "board" of folks to keep a board up and running. My threads prompted no more or less posting from others.

I seriously don't think it's any folks doing anything or not doing anything. I think this slowly started with Facebook and other social media and has just kept forward in that pattern. More people there and more action.

And as things go slower, we lose interest here and there from yet another member. I think it's more a sign of the times than anything else. I won't give into the social media crap. I very rarely use it and usually only for keeping in touch with friends/family behind the scenes.

Still paying bills here hence the lights still on!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

8. Thanks Mr. P, Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes RoccoR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The next, other-ist thing strictly from my POV is: I've gotten to the point of throwing shit against the wall to see if any of it is going to stick, and nobody seems much interested in anything. going from memory, the most "prolific", attention-gathering thread I've posted in a couple of years was about grilling cheeseburgers :laugh
    I look at it like fishing, toss in a bunch of bait and maybe get a hit or two. So be it, it's hard to post things to get interest to a much smaller crowd.

Your efforts are noticed though, and read...
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

10. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I'm with Gunny, the inability to discuss Trump in terms less than adoration in 2016 caused changes in myself and I believe others. I gave and returned less than civil discourse. I realized my very early instincts that Trump had awoken, not caused, a toxicity I didn't think was widespread in the conservative tent. Truly was manifested as evangelicals and leaders became the leaders in spite of all the obvious problems. There was no ask for forgiveness nor pledge of change. Results were all that mattered.

Trump won and kept campaign pledges, most importantly judges. The left lied, tried, impeached, and keeps doing so. The left has more people, more experience and the MSM. It's not stopping the right from trying to outgunned them, win or lose.

There's no one speaking to me any longer.
    I do! And I don't care what my stances were or will be. I'll talk smack about a ton of shit that Trump has done over time that was plain stupid - and I couldn't care less if folks get angry at me for it. Just as I couldn't care less about folks who didn't care for my positive opinion of him in the past. So long as I'm making people angry with my opinions!!

12. Thanks Mr. P, Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    I do! And I don't care what my stances were or will be. I'll talk smack about a ton of shit that Trump has done over time that was plain stupid - and I couldn't care less if folks get angry at me for it. Just as I couldn't care less about folks who didn't care for my positive opinion of him in the past. So long as I'm making people angry with my opinions!!
    Lol! My last line was referring to politicians, I think I've made peace with most still here.

I'll always hang here, though I do wish there was more discussions like long ago.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

14. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Lol! My last line was referring to politicians, I think I've made peace with most still here.

I'll always hang here, though I do wish there was more discussions like long ago.
    I have fond memories of many great discussions and debates over the years that were a lot of fun.

Remember back in the day with my sister and her friend Sandy? Posting what they called beautiful women for the guys that were all ultimately nothing but obese women? Those 2 were seriously retarded! But those days were fun posting. Spillmind and Bamthin annoying us along with 'jimnycWillDie' which was some crazy chick from Canada? Bonnie and lilCountrygal or something like that? And of course all of us that post here. So many others as well. Even was fond of 'ol Pabst drinking Psycho at times! LOL

16. Thanks Kathianne, Gunny, icansayit thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P, Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Default I Come here at least twice every day.

It might just be me. But over the last year or so. It seems to me...
    doing anything but posting a meme is fruitless. I can talk to myself all day.
    But when I make a contribution here. I might as well just be making notes to myself.

So, after I stop here. I do a lot of browsing across many sites while avoiding all TV.
    I gave up on trying to be a concerned citizen. So I go to the Youtube Comedy sections,
    and The FIRST Amendment Auditors who actually make my Blood Pressure rise.
    Arguing for the sake of arguing does nobody any good. We are but a SPECK OF SAND
    on the entire Internet. See ya around!
    I may be older than most. I may say things not everybody will like.
    But despite all of that. I will never lower myself to the level of Liars, Haters, Cheats, and Hypocrites.
    Philippians 4:13 I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me:

18. Thanks Mr. P, Kathianne, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P, jimnyc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

For me ... got tired of having everything refuted by someone who never posted an original post. Just seemed they lived to refute anything someone else said.

Also, it wasn't just politics (Trump, election fraud, etc.) that shut this place down. It was disagreements regarding covid and vaccines. It seemed no one wanted to discuss anything that wasn't in the mainstream media. I don't watch MSM anymore so my sources were always shot down.

Can only try to open minds so much before it's just too exhausting.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

20. Thanks Black Diamond, Mr. P, icansayit thanked this post
    Likes revelarts, RoccoR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLady View Post
    For me ... got tired of having everything refuted by someone who never posted an original post. Just seemed they lived to refute anything someone else said.

Also, it wasn't just politics (Trump, election fraud, etc.) that shut this place down. It was disagreements regarding covid and vaccines. It seemed no one wanted to discuss anything that wasn't in the mainstream media. I don't watch MSM anymore so my sources were always shot down.

Can only try to open minds so much before it's just too exhausting.
    I agree that the COVID argument also shut it down for some that allowed it to do so. Some refused to accept that others believed in their arguments just as much as anyone else. It takes two and door swings both ways.

I'll add to some of what Jim stated: we're just old and outdated by newer technology. I haven't even looked to see how may "bulletin boards" are left on the internet, nor how successful/unsuccessful they have become. Most of us joined when bulletin board were the latest-greatest.

I've always been leery of the internet period, and as it turns out with good cause. I'm certainly not going beyond this level. While anyone can find out anything they want about anyone (except criminal politicians), I figure they may as well have to work a little at it. I still have the means to dump all electronics and didi the F- out. I intend to keep it that way.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

22. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Shit.

I had a whole thing typed out, but it sounded like whining.

I self censor. After a bad experience here when I spoke my mind about the man-child that is Trump, I chose to dabble in politics here very lightly. People changed with Trump, people on both sides. My bad experience came from a quarter I would have never expected... It's gotten better, but I tend to choose my adjectives carefully these days...

A lack of diversity also tends to make this place an echo chamber. That's one reason I smile when Gabos posts. I rarely agree with her, but at least she offers a fresh and different perspective. I don't know how to fix the lack of diversity, but I know one thing for sure, the lack of tolerance for new folk is a very big contributing factor to the lack of it...

I don't know. I may not post often, but I would absolutely hate to see this place go tits up...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

24. Thanks Kathianne, Mr. P, Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne, Mr. P, SassyLady, revelarts, Gunny liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

I should also point out the elephant in the room for me: School's out for the summer And I can't make it not sound like wining. I already can't think of a single week since Christmas one of these rugrats hasn't been sick. lame or lazy and here instead of at school. I generally bounce my board time when they're gone.

Part of it is self-inflicted. I choose to take care of my grandson at the expense of my time.

So, posting for me is going to be more spastic than usual until they go back to school.

While I'm bitching ... if the damned adults around here would quit behaving like the oldest kids instead of the parents, it'd be a LOT easier

26. Thanks Mr. P thanked this post
    Likes Mr. P liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You want guesses? Observations? Except when speaking for myself, that's all I got If I was to point a finger at one thing I think has transformed this board into a tomb? Self-censorship. That thing we all rail about while being completely complicit. Won't, don't and/or feel one can't express what one truly thinks for fear of offending others. It isn't like we can't for the most part predict who will react how on what. And if I was going to point a finger at the biggest single reason for THAT is the uniter, Donald Trump. The next, other-ist thing strictly from my POV is: I've gotten to the point of throwing shit against the wall to see if any of it is going to stick, and nobody seems much interested in anything. going from memory, the most "prolific", attention-gathering thread I've posted in a couple of years was about grilling cheeseburgers I generally grab headlines and from what's free out there. If I DID pay, and took the time to cut-n-paste paywall articles, I would hardly feel it worth the time, effort, and $ for the return of cricket's chirping. And if someone happens upon this board and has a different opinion? No polite disagreement. Dogpile Been my observation noobs have to adjust, and so do we, and not much effort is put into either end. Another guess/observation: social media. For some reason people want to put their whole lives (or the ones they wished they lived) on FB/Twitter/what have you. Anything put on that crap is like the bullet that left the gun -- there's no taking it back. Too easy to get unintentionally caught up in some shit that the morons out there turn into real World consequences.
    Gunny, this might be your best post ever. You have hit the nail squarely on the head. When I first came here, Debate Policy was still about debate. After the Trump debacle (not talking about his presidency), discussion turned one way. The forum turned from lively debate into an echo chamber. You endorsed Trumpism or you got dogpiled. Liberals were not tolerated. I believe it drove off people who prefer clinging to the middle of the road. ---------------------------------> Jim, I hope you manage to work through your problems. You may despise me, but I still care about you and your family.

28. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes SassyLady, revelarts liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Post a reply to the thread: What's up with OUR house ?

※→et al,

It is the case on many occasions that I simply cannot contribute anything worthwhile. Rather than look foolish I remain silent.

Most Respectfully,
    R

30. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes jimnyc, SassyLady liked this post