Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
@Gunny the Marines. Thoughts?:
The current Commandant of the Marine Corps is a kook above and beyond the typical CMC that immediately wants to change all the happy's to glad's Every 4 years we were changing uniforms, acronyms and whatever else the new CMC could claim he fixed, right down to going from some really lousy post-Vietnam crap back to the policies and gear we had during the Vietnam era.

The Marine Corps has also always had an identity problem. Eisenhower tried to have it disbanded and absorbed into the Army. The Corps therefore goes out of its way to justify its existence by maintaining distinction from the other branches. As warfighting has evolved, those distinctions have become more vague again.

Wargaming possible scenarios is nothing new. This CMC throwing all is eggs in one basket on a possible, single scenario is flawed thinking, IMO. The Pacific was a Naval war but in the end, it was won with boots on the ground. The Navy could not have seized and occupied a single island without Marines; which, goes back to one of the primary missions of the Marine Corps: the Navy's infantry.

Wargaming during my time, was basically to fine-tune the Force based on possible and most probable scenarios. Addressing these Chinese man-made islands is fine, but would not be the sole focus of the US Navy. For one, these islands are almost all under China's guns. Neutralize the body, not the fingers.

It was also used to expose the most obvious boobs; which, this apparently did. Problem is, he's Commandant of the Marine Corps. A political general appointed by the person occupying the WH.

IMO, what he is doing is rendering the Marine Corps mostly irrelevant.

I have also seen other info on this topic where he's facing pushback. I just don't recall from who/where.