Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    47,406
    Thanks (Given)
    23587
    Thanks (Received)
    17161
    Likes (Given)
    9480
    Likes (Received)
    5926
    Piss Off (Given)
    85
    Piss Off (Received)
    10
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475519

    Default Quit Smoking Gained Weight

    Granted it was over 2 years, but now I really want to get back to my normal weight. Soooo, gotta watch what I'm eating. If given my druthers, I'd eat pastries all day, with an occasional piece of chicken thrown in once or twice a week. Yeah, I am more mature than that, but it's carbs I've got to watch. I've been good for a couple weeks and the pounds are coming off.

    So, rather than running to the bakery for a prize, I decided to make some breakfast burritos to put in freezer. Thaw the day before and heat up in skillet in the morning. Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting, not fine counting calories; the higher calorie breakfast doesn't really matter since it's my larger meal of the day. Made 5 big burritos, for 10 breakfasts: refried beans, black beans, Pico de Gallo, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, red peppers, and scrambled eggs.

    Just had one, so good. Yay me! LOL!


    "The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill


  2. Thanks Gunny, fj1200 thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Posts
    47,670
    Thanks (Given)
    34097
    Thanks (Received)
    26239
    Likes (Given)
    2236
    Likes (Received)
    9838
    Piss Off (Given)
    0
    Piss Off (Received)
    12
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Granted it was over 2 years, but now I really want to get back to my normal weight. Soooo, gotta watch what I'm eating. If given my druthers, I'd eat pastries all day, with an occasional piece of chicken thrown in once or twice a week. Yeah, I am more mature than that, but it's carbs I've got to watch. I've been good for a couple weeks and the pounds are coming off.

    So, rather than running to the bakery for a prize, I decided to make some breakfast burritos to put in freezer. Thaw the day before and heat up in skillet in the morning. Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting, not fine counting calories; the higher calorie breakfast doesn't really matter since it's my larger meal of the day. Made 5 big burritos, for 10 breakfasts: refried beans, black beans, Pico de Gallo, Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, red peppers, and scrambled eggs.

    Just had one, so good. Yay me! LOL!
    Good for you

    I've always heard but never really understood about the weight gain from quitting smoking. I've seen it turn otherwise normal human beings into total assholes THAT I get. I've always put a lot of the weight gain on replacing smoking with eating but have been told that even if you hammer down on your diet, you're gaining the weight.

    Must be something chemical. While I have casually spent some time considering it, it hasn't been enough to research it
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    47,406
    Thanks (Given)
    23587
    Thanks (Received)
    17161
    Likes (Given)
    9480
    Likes (Received)
    5926
    Piss Off (Given)
    85
    Piss Off (Received)
    10
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Good for you

    I've always heard but never really understood about the weight gain from quitting smoking. I've seen it turn otherwise normal human beings into total assholes THAT I get. I've always put a lot of the weight gain on replacing smoking with eating but have been told that even if you hammer down on your diet, you're gaining the weight.

    Must be something chemical. While I have casually spent some time considering it, it hasn't been enough to research it
    Maybe, I'd like to blame it on something other than rewarding myself for not smoking and grabbing hard candy instead of smoking. LOL! I still am using the candy crutch, but now limit myself to 5 pieces while working-for some reason not a problem when not working. I really liked grabbing a cig break, rather than sitting in lunch room. Smokers are a friendly bunch!

    Pretty much having homemade soup for dinner, with some fruit and cottage cheese. Days off, like today, do a regular meal. So biggest change is not giving into having desserts or rich entrees-my favorite things to cook.


    "The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill


  5. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Likes Gunny liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    23,872
    Thanks (Given)
    4156
    Thanks (Received)
    4487
    Likes (Given)
    1403
    Likes (Received)
    1045
    Piss Off (Given)
    0
    Piss Off (Received)
    39
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9173675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    ... Since I'm more or less doing intermittent fasting...
    That's the best way forward I think. I'm not very good at it but I'm sure I'll be awesome at IF when there's no more kids in the house.
    "when socialism fails, blame capitalism and demand more socialism." - A friend
    "You know the difference between libs and right-wingers? Libs STFU when evidence refutes their false beliefs." - Another friend
    “Don't waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.” - Paulo Coelho


  7. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    47,406
    Thanks (Given)
    23587
    Thanks (Received)
    17161
    Likes (Given)
    9480
    Likes (Received)
    5926
    Piss Off (Given)
    85
    Piss Off (Received)
    10
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21475519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    That's the best way forward I think. I'm not very good at it but I'm sure I'll be awesome at IF when there's no more kids in the house.
    What's weird is my kids always ate pretty healthy. Up until the oldest reached 8th grade or so, they'd have an occasional pop with some chips. Sometimes they'd get candy from grandma's house, she always had candy. Suddenly, they all went no more 'junk food.' No chips, donuts, soda. I never bought much, but now it was all fruits, veggies, and hummus. All 3 of them. Now they would eat desserts if I made them, though they'd be, "Mom, you really shouldn't..." Daughter went vegetarian for a bit, but that passed. She still only eats chicken and fish, the boys still are Chicago based carnivores. LOL!

    Chicago charcuterie board:


    Dang image won't post.


    For the most part now I go meatless 3 days a week, fish 2, and chicken 2. More veggies and fruit, right now little sweets-other than hard candy. Usually some.
    Last edited by Kathianne; 02-10-2024 at 04:14 PM.


    "The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill


  9. Likes fj1200 liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    23,872
    Thanks (Given)
    4156
    Thanks (Received)
    4487
    Likes (Given)
    1403
    Likes (Received)
    1045
    Piss Off (Given)
    0
    Piss Off (Received)
    39
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9173675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    What's weird is my kids always ate pretty healthy. Up until the oldest reached 8th grade or so, they'd have an occasional pop with some chips. Sometimes they'd get candy from grandma's house, she always had candy. Suddenly, they all went no more 'junk food.' No chips, donuts, soda. I never bought much, but now it was all fruits, veggies, and hummus. All 3 of them. Now they would eat desserts if I made them, though they'd be, "Mom, you really shouldn't..." Daughter went vegetarian for a bit, but that passed. She still only eats chicken and fish, the boys still are Chicago based carnivores. LOL!

    Chicago charcuterie board:


    Dang image won't post.


    For the most part now I go meatless 3 days a week, fish 2, and chicken 2. More veggies and fruit, right now little sweets-other than hard candy. Usually some.
    Weeeelllllll maybe it's my wife buying them sugar-coated, sugar-bombs, on sale of course, and my inability to not eat them at about 1130 at night when I think nobody will know. :ashamed:
    "when socialism fails, blame capitalism and demand more socialism." - A friend
    "You know the difference between libs and right-wingers? Libs STFU when evidence refutes their false beliefs." - Another friend
    “Don't waste your time with explanations: people only hear what they want to hear.” - Paulo Coelho


  11. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Debate Policy - Political Forums