Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Default Kim Jong Un has broken with decades of North Korean policy – does it mean he’s planni

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

"...We do not know when or how Kim plans to pull the trigger, but the danger is already far beyond the routine warnings in Washington, Seoul and Tokyo about Pyongyang’s ‘provocations,’” prominent experts Robert Carlin and Siegfred Hecker wrote in North Korea-focused publication 38 North last month. Kim, they suggest, has “made a strategic decision to go to war.” Continue reading
    Many other observers disagree – arguing that the 40-year-old leader knows well that any major military move against South Korea and its ally the United States could hasten the demise of his own regime.
    But those observers too are bracing for a year of ramped up aggression – and express concern about the risk of North Korea’s escalated hostilities leading to some kind of military engagement on the Korean Peninsula, raising the risk, however remote, of nuclear conflict...."

Experts say...
    we need to fear... no matter how remote
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-18-2024 at 08:23 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    "...We do not know when or how Kim plans to pull the trigger, but the danger is already far beyond the routine warnings in Washington, Seoul and Tokyo about Pyongyang’s ‘provocations,’” prominent experts Robert Carlin and Siegfred Hecker wrote in North Korea-focused publication 38 North last month. Kim, they suggest, has “made a strategic decision to go to war.” Continue reading
    Many other observers disagree – arguing that the 40-year-old leader knows well that any major military move against South Korea and its ally the United States could hasten the demise of his own regime.
    But those observers too are bracing for a year of ramped up aggression – and express concern about the risk of North Korea’s escalated hostilities leading to some kind of military engagement on the Korean Peninsula, raising the risk, however remote, of nuclear conflict...."

Experts say...
    we need to fear... no matter how remote
    Fear is an overplayed word used to dismiss threats. Fear is primal. Especially when one has little to no control over a threat. Using the cudgel of "fear" as a dismissive tactic is no different that the left crying "there's no slippery slope" while we slide right down it. Threats don't go away just because one slaps the blinders on. It just means one never sees what's coming when it hits you.

Un is a big a threat, if not bigger than Russia, China or Iran. An attention whore with a serious case of little man's syndrome with his finger on a button that can kill millions. He, as well as the other aforementioned countries, ALL could have been stopped easily, at a lesser cost, but for those who chose to dismiss them as threats.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

5. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Fear is an overplayed word used to dismiss threats. Fear is primal. Especially when one has little to no control over a threat. Using the cudgel of "fear" as a dismissive tactic is no different that the left crying "there's no slippery slope" while we slide right down it. Threats don't go away just because one slaps the blinders on. It just means one never sees what's coming when it hits you.

Un is a big a threat, if not bigger than Russia, China or Iran. An attention whore with a serious case of little man's syndrome with his finger on a button that can kill millions. He, as well as the other aforementioned countries, ALL could have been stopped easily, at a lesser cost, but for those who chose to dismiss them as threats.

So Preemptive war is the solution?
    What could have been done exactly?

the thing is I agree with you're 1st paragraph.
    no one should downplay a shaddy neighbor with a gun.

I do have a problem when "experts suggest" "they suggest, has 'made a strategic decision to go to war.'"

the South Koreans have been in this spot since the 1950's.
    the same with Pakistan and India both nuke powers.
    Point is this doesn't come across as anything NEW. Un's father(Uncle?) was just as much of a wild card.

Yes, there's a danger. Un & his Father (uncle?) have been "planning" for war for decades.
    Has it suddenly gone to DefCon !000 because of this change in a policy that has never really been acted on?
    Sorry i just don't see the fire. It sounds like a slow day in the newsroom to me.

here's my question when i read that article.
    Is there anything about this policy change on Un's part that stands out to us as something actionable TODAY that wasn't yesterday?
    If not, I guess we should note it and... stay calm and prepped as always.

Un PLANNING war?
    yes, so are we... and every other country in the world. i pray it never happens.
    Last edited by revelarts; 02-18-2024 at 07:59 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    So Preemptive war is the solution?
    What could have been done exactly?

the thing is I agree with you're 1st paragraph.
    no one should downplay a shaddy neighbor with a gun.

I do have a problem when "experts suggest" "they suggest, has 'made a strategic decision to go to war.'"

the South Koreans have been in this spot since the 1950's.
    the same with Pakistan and India both nuke powers.
    Point is this doesn't come across as anything NEW. Un's father(Uncle?) was just as much of a wild card.

Yes, there's a danger. Un & his Father (uncle?) have been "planning" for war for decades.
    Has it suddenly gone to DefCon !000 because of this change in a policy that has never really been acted on?
    Sorry i just don't see the fire. It sounds like a slow day in the newsroom to me.

here's my question when i read that article.
    Is there anything about this policy change on Un's part that stands out to us as something actionable TODAY that wasn't yesterday?
    If not, I guess we should note it and... stay calm and prepped as always.

Un PLANNING war?
    yes, so are we... and every other country in the world. i pray it never happens.
    Hardly preemptive to finish what was started in 1952 instead of allowing it to fester for all these years. Un is not a stand-alone product. N Korea has been and is China's lackey. Had Truman taken care of both THEN, they wouldn't be the threat they are now.

No one in the West is prepared for World War. You'd think by the 3rd time around they'd have a clue. Western Europe collectively crapped their pants when they got the brick upside the head wakeup call when Russia invaded Ukraine. They all changed their priorities REAL quick. Not us.

There's a difference between wanting war and being prepared for those that do. IMO, anyone that wants war has a screw loose. Fact remains they exist.