Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Default Judge strikes down North Carolina felon voting law

Instead of blaming "racism", when the law itself clearly is not, perhaps they should be questioning why the percentages are what they are. Racism? I question that.
    Though Black Americans make up about 13 percent of the U.S. population, one-third of Black men have at least one felony conviction, according to a 2017 report.
    Black North Carolinians account for nearly 53 percent of the state’s prison population — though they make up only 21.5 percent of North Carolina’s overall adult population, according to a 2016 report from the nonpartisan racial justice organization NC CRED.

Judge strikes down North Carolina felon voting law | The Hill
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

2. Thanks Kathianne thanked this post
    Likes Kathianne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

From your Link: nonpartisan racial justice organization NC CRED
    Overall, African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted. And once convicted, they are more likely to face stiff sentences.

Since the beginning of the War on Drugs in the 1980s, the number of people incarcerated for drug offenses in the US skyrocketed from
    40,900 in 1980 to
    452,964 in 2017.

African Americans and whites use drugs at similar rates, but the imprisonment rate of African Americans for drug charges is almost 6 times that of whites.

In the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, about 17 million whites and 4 million African Americans reported having used an illicit drug within the last month.

African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites....

Last edited by revelarts; 04-23-2024 at 01:13 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    From your Link: nonpartisan racial justice organization NC CRED
    Overall, African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested. Once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted. And once convicted, they are more likely to face stiff sentences.

Since the beginning of the War on Drugs in the 1980s, the number of people incarcerated for drug offenses in the US skyrocketed from
    40,900 in 1980 to
    452,964 in 2017.

African Americans and whites use drugs at similar rates, but the imprisonment rate of African Americans for drug charges is almost 6 times that of whites.

In the 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, about 17 million whites and 4 million African Americans reported having used an illicit drug within the last month.

African Americans are incarcerated at more than 5 times the rate of whites....

Not in the neighborhoods I grew up in. Guess it depends on how much money you got
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Not in the neighborhoods I grew up in. Guess it depends on how much money you got
    Money walks.
    Where I went to High school, the whites were DEFINITELY doing as many drugs as blacks.
    The small college i went to near Pittsburg was mostly white, i'd say maybe at 10-15+% of them that I knew of were using drugs from time to time, a smaller percentage regularly.
    And I went to a few, mainly white, college parties where every kind of drug & drink was available. with plenty of noise and maybe 50-70 people rolling in and out of the homes/apts at 1-3 am.. but cops never came in the door.
    I didn't know any blacks in my small college that did serious drugs, I knew 2 who smoked pot. maybe that was just my group.

I don't personally know of any whites that went to jail for drugs. I mean zero. And I knew 1 white guy that sold drugs in my neighborhood.
    But I do know some blacks guys who did go to jail.
    I don't know all the circumstances.
    If we want to talk about personal experiences, that's mine.
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-24-2024 at 12:17 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

6. Thanks Gunny thanked this post