Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default why did he even join the military!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Way wrong. He should pay back the cost of college.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Way wrong. He should pay back the cost of college.
    i agree

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nah, I think he should simply be made to return to service once this war is over... oh wait, chances are that none of us, including him, will be alive when this war ends.

Well, he says that he cannot fire his weapon at another human being. Personally, if this is the case, I would not want him on the front lines with me anyway, but I am sure there are duties needed stateside that he could perform. So, bring him stateside and put him to use in some manner or another.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Nah, I think he should simply be made to return to service once this war is over... oh wait, chances are that none of us, including him, will be alive when this war ends.

Well, he says that he cannot fire his weapon at another human being. Personally, if this is the case, I would not want him on the front lines with me anyway, but I am sure there are duties needed stateside that he could perform. So, bring him stateside and put him to use in some manner or another.

Immie
    Sorry. Even 6th graders realize that entering West Point means you may have to fire a weapon at another, in the course of carrying out your 'obligation.' Many qualified, never apply because of that. He did. He 'chose' that route.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry. Even 6th graders realize that entering West Point means you may have to fire a weapon at another, in the course of carrying out your 'obligation.' Many qualified, never apply because of that. He did. He 'chose' that route.
    No need to be sorry. Maybe you didn't catch the sarcastic tone in my writing. It was there honest. Right here... "Nah, I think he should simply be made to return to service once this war is over... oh wait, chances are that none of us, including him, will be alive when this war ends."

I understand what you mean. Also, I don't think he should have gotten away with it. Although, I am serious that if I was on the front line, I would not want him standing besides me. I would want someone that I could trust and in this case, I'm not sure I could trust him.

I will however say that I am not 100% certain that I could pull the trigger either. I've never had to do so and God willing I never will. I was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Reserves. We trained with 45's and M-16's for drug patrols. I wasn't that good of a shot either, but neither did I ever have to aim at a human being. I honestly fear that if it were necessary, I might hesitate that extra second that would cost me or one of my crewmembers their lives.

I will say, I much preferred Search and Rescue to drug patrols.

He should not get away with this, but then again, if you were on the front line would you want him standing besides you?

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 10-16-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

No need to be sorry. Maybe you didn't catch the sarcastic tone in my writing. It was there honest. Right here... "Nah, I think he should simply be made to return to service once this war is over... oh wait, chances are that none of us, including him, will be alive when this war ends."

I understand what you mean. Also, I don't think he should have gotten away with it. Although, I am serious that if I was on the front line, I would not want him standing besides me. I would want someone that I could trust and in this case, I'm not sure I could trust him.

I will however say that I am not 100% certain that I could pull the trigger either. I've never had to do so and God willing I never will. I was a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Reserves. We trained with 45's and M-16's for drug patrols. I wasn't that good of a shot either, but neither did I ever have to aim at a human being. I honestly fear that if it were necessary, I might hesitate that extra second that would cost me or one of my crewmembers their lives.

I will say, I much preferred Search and Rescue to drug patrols.

He should not get away with this, but then again, if you were on the front line would you want him standing besides you?

Immie
    I'm sorry I was so quick with the reply. I was surprised at what I thought your response, based on what I've read by you. I don't post much anymore, but this got my 'dander' up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sorry I was so quick with the reply. I was surprised at what I thought your response, based on what I've read by you. I don't post much anymore, but this got my 'dander' up.
    Haha,

All is forgiven.

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brown said he had no conflict between his faith and military service until after he graduated from West Point in 2004 and began to study scripture and his belief.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Brown said he had no conflict between his faith and military service until after he graduated from West Point in 2004 and began to study scripture and his belief.
    yeah. In the precursor to foxhole? Gimme a break.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah. In the precursor to foxhole? Gimme a break.
    Just answering as to why he joined. He claims to have found his "faith" after he graduated. Are you saying no one can find their faith?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    Just answering as to why he joined. He claims to have found his "faith" after he graduated. Are you saying no one can find their faith?
    Just saying it's a might convenient the 'faith' he 'found.' Right after graduation from West Point and the accolades that attend that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just saying it's a might convenient the 'faith' he 'found.' Right after graduation from West Point and the accolades that attend that.
    However, now that I think about it, if he graduated in 2004 then he joined pre-9/11. Now, granted he would have thought that there was a possibility that he might have to kill at some time in his life, but, there are a lot of people (and not all of them are liberal) who have a problem with Bush's war.

He may feel that this war is unjust and simply not want to be part of it. It may have nothing to do with wanting and receiving a "free ride".

Immie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

However, now that I think about it, if he graduated in 2004 then he joined pre-9/11. Now, granted he would have thought that there was a possibility that he might have to kill at some time in his life, but, there are a lot of people (and not all of them are liberal) who have a problem with Bush's war.

He may feel that this war is unjust and simply not want to be part of it. It may have nothing to do with wanting and receiving a "free ride".

Immie

If that's true then he's a liar because that's not what the Army ruled on. They ruled on his religious beliefs. Which happen to be wrong, but that's another issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    If that's true then he's a liar because that's not what the Army ruled on. They ruled on his religious beliefs. Which happen to be wrong, but that's another issue.
    I wouldn't disagree with your statement.

He would be a liar, but the Army would not let him out if he said, "I don't want to fight because Bush got us into an unjust war."

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 10-17-2007 at 07:50 AM.