Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    creationism and evolution are not mutually exclusive.....
    I agree. Just have to remember one is faith, one is science.

And not trying to be glib here. I don't think there's a thing that was written in A Brief History of Time that is inconsistent with the Bible. That doesn't make creationism science, but it does mean they can live together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    but you obviously aren't using common sense and/or logic if you think any other theory is better, because they aren't.
    Actually my disbelief of a god is totally based on logic nad common sense...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    I agree. Just have to remember one is faith, one is science.

And not trying to be glib here. I don't think there's a thing that was written in A Brief History of Time that is inconsistent with the Bible. That doesn't make creationism science, but it does mean they can live together.
    i agree and anything is possible......

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i agree and anything is possible......
    No. Not anything. By saying that, you make Genesis no different from hypothesis based on scientific evidence. You can hace *faith* that something may have occurred a certain way. It requires no evidence, no proof, nothing but an expression of belief. Now, I certainly have no issue with one having *faith* in something.

So, while I guess anything is possible if one has faith in it, those possibilities get limited when one looks to science. Saying otherwise is intentionally diminishing the value of science, at least as I see it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    How is the talk different? Read some of Jills posts and she might enlighten you a bit. Or are you just into blind hatred like adolph?
    Calm down and LISTEN. Judaism and Christianity are different religions. The talk is different. There is vast public awareness of Christianity and the New Testament and thus Chistians are regularly accused of hypocrisy when they walk differently than how someone else interprets the talk. If you read Jillians' post you learn that Jewish law is different and frankly I couldn't tell you what they believe to be "the WAY". Can YOU identify Jews who are not walking the walk. This is a bit bigger than what a person eats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Calm down and LISTEN. Judaism and Christianity are different religions. The talk is different. There is vast public awareness of Christianity and the New Testament and thus Chistians are regularly accused of hypocrisy when they walk differently than how someone else interprets the talk. If you read Jillians' post you learn that Jewish law is different and frankly I couldn't tell you what they believe to be "the WAY". Can YOU identify Jews who are not walking the walk. This is a bit bigger than what a person eats.
    No. It's really not all that different. Trying to do good in the world, charity, (the highest form of charity being someone who gives anonymously because they aren't looking for recognition for it), caring for your family, your country, kindness to ones neighbors, living by the 10 Commandments.... that sort of thing.

You guys just have more stuff about turning the other cheek.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. It's really not all that different. Trying to do good in the world, charity, (the highest form of charity being someone who gives anonymously because they aren't looking for recognition for it), caring for your family, your country, kindness to ones neighbors, living by the 10 Commandments.... that sort of thing.

You guys just have more stuff about turning the other cheek.
    So if Jew was selfish it would be pretty hypocritical I guess. How about all the oral and written law other than the Torah.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    So if Jew was selfish it would be pretty hypocritical I guess.
    No more than a Christian saying that if someone in NO was "too stupid" to move out of the way of a hurricane, they're SOL.

How about all the oral and written law other than the Torah.
    How about it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE]
    No more than a Christian saying that if someone in NO was "too stupid" to move out of the way of a hurricane, they're SOL.
    I assume that's a yes. Both Christian and Jew would be a hypocrite if they were cruel to others.

How about it?
    Are there other regulatory laws pertaining to proper actions or behavior that Jews are commanded to follow?

Lord knows the New Testament is an open book of chapters and verses that people choose to twist and turn to use against Chrstians and criticize thier behavior as hypocritical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Since I don't have the faith I guess you'll have to party without me.
    If you're waiting on a sermon from me, you're in trouble. Perhpas one of the fundamentalists around here can help you see the error of your ways.

In all honesty, I don't do this argument, and it sort of accidentally went this route. While I'm more than willing to engage in the arguments with those who feel the need to reassure themselves by renouncing God in public (on the board) with some seriously lame arguments, I don't do the "who's religion is the right-est" argument.

I don't like people trying to shove shit down my throat, so I at least try to treat others the same.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. Not anything. By saying that, you make Genesis no different from hypothesis based on scientific evidence. You can hace *faith* that something may have occurred a certain way. It requires no evidence, no proof, nothing but an expression of belief. Now, I certainly have no issue with one having *faith* in something.

So, while I guess anything is possible if one has faith in it, those possibilities get limited when one looks to science. Saying otherwise is intentionally diminishing the value of science, at least as I see it.
    i stand by my statement....anything is possible....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is it that your story is correct, and their's is wrong?[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I love when people say, Well, it says so in the bible, so it must be true. Everything you read is the gospel truth. In all the multitude of religions and beliefs in the history of the world, what makes Christianity or Islam truth, just because someone wrote down a very interesting story. The Vikings had the poetic eddas, which were later written down by Christian Monks. What makes an Oral history of the gods, passed down generation after generation from before the rise of Christianity, any less true than the "bible".

Look at the sumerians. Or cave drawings with symbols of religions coming after them. Who knows how old some of those religions are. The only religion I am absolutely certain was false is that of the romans (before christianity)...because they stole their beliefs from other nations and renamed the gods in their image.
    Last edited by Norse_soul; 02-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Press 1 for english; Se habla Espaniol press 2 to connect you directly to the nearest police department for immediate arrest, detainment, confiscation of all your 'Stolen' assets, and deportation...thank you for calling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see nothing wrong with diminishing the value of science. People look for it to perform some miracles. It has a track record of helping but also of hurting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    If you're waiting on a sermon from me, you're in trouble. Perhpas one of the fundamentalists around here can help you see the error of your ways.

In all honesty, I don't do this argument, and it sort of accidentally went this route. While I'm more than willing to engage in the arguments with those who feel the need to reassure themselves by renouncing God in public (on the board) with some seriously lame arguments, I don't do the "who's religion is the right-est" argument.

I don't like people trying to shove shit down my throat, so I at least try to treat others the same.
    That's one of the things I like about you Gunny.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.