Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pegwinn View Post
    I would never, ever, attempt to get a fellow SNCO going on a rant......

Get rid of the politicians and some officers, and we could secure Iraq within a month.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep the pols and officers and simply get rid of the ROES. Quit lying about the reasons we are there and instruct the theater commander to simply win the freaking war. Same month, less trauma on the left.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I would never, ever, attempt to get a fellow SNCO going on a rant......
    Glad to hear that...we all know that SNCOs rarely go on a rant and it would be unfair to goad them into something unnatural like that!

I don't know who came up with the ROEs over there but they look like they were written by Michael Moore and edited by Jane Fonda.

Another thing they need to do (besides give clear and concise orders) is to keep the politicians and lawyers out of it. The President is the CiC, not Congress, not the MSM, and it sure as hell isn't some lib college kid who couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the sole. They also need to tell Europe to STFU. If they have something to say, choose one side or the other and then say it, but be prepared to accept responsibility for their statements and actions.
    Last edited by CSM; 02-12-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    So I guess the answers are "no" and "yes" respectively.
    No doubt that is what you see, as an anti American military advocate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Glad to hear that...we all know that SNCOs rarely go on a rant and it would be unfair to goad them into something unnatural like that!

That's because we're so even-tempered, polite and all.
    I don't know who came up with the ROEs over there but they look like they were written by Michael Moore and edited by Jane Fonda.

Another thing they need to do (besides give clear and concise orders) is to keep the politicians and lawyers out of it. The President is the CiC, not Congress, not the MSM, and it sure as hell isn't some lib college kid who couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the sole. They also need to tell Europe to STFU. If they have something to say, choose one side or the other and then say it, but be prepared to accept responsibility for their statements and actions.
    The President needs to reassess his political agenda and see how it falls in line with the reality of the situation. It's pursuing a politically correct solution that's the major stumbling block, IMO.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey Guns. Good post but the mucking fachine won't let me rep you. So, no pay raise, nada, zip, and damn.

I dug out my ROE cards from 91 and compared them to the 03 initial version and to the current version that an Army National Guard Sergeant showed me. He just got back last month.

I would like to make a hangmans noose out of 550 cord and string up the folks who decided that wars had to be bloodless things where it's better for your own guys to die than it is to blow up a church being used as a firebase.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    The President needs to reassess his political agenda and see how it falls in line with the reality of the situation. It's pursuing a politically correct solution that's the major stumbling block, IMO.
    Heck, yeah! Get the place stabilized and under control; worry about the PC stuff afterwards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Hey Guns. Good post but the mucking fachine won't let me rep you. So, no pay raise, nada, zip, and damn.

I dug out my ROE cards from 91 and compared them to the 03 initial version and to the current version that an Army National Guard Sergeant showed me. He just got back last month.

I would like to make a hangmans noose out of 550 cord and string up the folks who decided that wars had to be bloodless things where it's better for your own guys to die than it is to blow up a church being used as a firebase.
    Guess it's just as well I'm sitting here now, then. If I'm taking fire, I'm returning it, and I don't care if it's the Taj Mahal. I can see making meritorious Lance Corporal REAL quick with this touchy-feely crap.

And of course, these religious nutjobs would NEVER think of hiding out in the mosques .....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guess it's just as well I'm sitting here now, then. If I'm taking fire, I'm returning it, and I don't care if it's the Taj Mahal. I can see making meritorious Lance Corporal REAL quick with this touchy-feely crap.

And of course, these religious nutjobs would NEVER think of hiding out in the mosques .....
    You know it's going to be an interesting day in the CP when the Gunny's freq squawks "Adjust Fire, Large Mosque in the Open" and when you get to the ordnance line you request FASCAM

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You know it's going to be an interesting day in the CP when the Gunny's freq squawks "Adjust Fire, Large Mosque in the Open" and when you get to the ordnance line you request FASCAM

I was thinking beehive rounds myself. Might as well take out the neigborhood while I'm at it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I was thinking beehive rounds myself. Might as well take out the neigborhood while I'm at it.
    Well, if you are going to do that, a plain old TOT battalion 6 with HE (talking 155s here) is cheaper, more intimidating and way more devastating. Follow that up with FASCAM on all entry and egress routes just to make sure we dont have any further problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Well, if you are going to do that, a plain old TOT battalion 6 with HE (talking 155s here) is cheaper, more intimidating and way more devastating. Follow that up with FASCAM on all entry and egress routes just to make sure we dont have any further problems.
    Finally, some ROE, that make sense.

When might we expect these to come "on line"?
    If ya can't prove it, don't say it.
    Bikes, babes, and beer, it don't get no better than that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trobinett View Post
    Finally, some ROE, that make sense.

When might we expect these to come "on line"?
    Just as soon as I become Emporer of the Universe!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humanity and justice are the principles on which to govern a state, but not an army; opportunism and flexibility, on the other hand, are military rather than civic virtues.

By employing the officers of his army without discrimination, through ignorance of the military principle of adaptation to circumstances. This shakes the confidence of the soldiers.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    No doubt that is what you see, as an anti American military advocate.
    Hey sorry about being a dick the other day. I'm not "anti American military"--by the way the proper nomenclature would be "anti US military"--I just think that our country's military policy is way too liberal. We send our troops in for every damn skirmish that pops up around the globe and we revere our troops like they're something more than blue collar government workers, which is what they are. I mean realisitically if you take away the overblown reverence that is attached to being a troop, that is what you are. You're a gun for hire for the government. I just don't buy into the "troop worship" that seems to pervade everyone's view of the military.

I think the veterans of WWII deserved that reverence because they did save the planet from the Axis of Evil and the veterans of Vietnam and Korea deserve our respect because they were drafted. But every military adventure since then seems to me to have been avoidable in the sense that none of them posed the threat of world domination and the soldiers involved volunteered for service. It seems to me that the modern US government has used the military more as a means to advance its own political or economic agenda than as a defensive force for the nation's well being. For putting themselves in harms way the military deserves our respect, but the hero worship and unwavering, unreasonable defense that they get from their "supporters" makes me a little sick. It seems like nothing military related can be questioned without some zealot bowing up to call you unpatriotic or anti-troop or some other moronic moniker. These are usually the people who have a confederate and US flag flying on the back of their trucks simultaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.