Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default "Gay gene" study: Results won't matter, say some

I think it is good that this study is being done. But as the article claims, even if there is a gay gene, does it mean people do not have a choice in their sexual practices?

'Gay Gene?' No Big Deal, Says Ex-Gay
    By Lillian Kwon
    Christian Post Reporter
    Tue, Oct. 23 2007 06:25 PM ET

Even if science does prove that a "gay gene" exists, one ex-gay says it doesn't change anything for him.

Randy Thomas – executive vice president of Exodus International, one of the world's largest outreaches to those affected by unwanted homosexual attraction – has been free from same-sex desires for some 15 years.

He said he was once an out-and-proud gay man who was fully supportive of gay socio/political goals but has now embraced a healthy heterosexual approach to relationships.

"If they prove that a 'gay gene' exists in my DNA, why then aren't those genes controlling my life now?" Thomas posed in a column on WorldNetDaily.

New research is being conducted at Northwestern University in Chicago in a search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. The federally-funded study, reported to be the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay, will rely on blood or saliva samples of 1,000 pairs of gay brothers.

Lead researcher Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute believes it is more likely there are several genes along with nongenetic factors that influence sexual orientation rather than one "gay gene."

But "if there's one gene that makes a sizable contribution, we have a pretty good chance" of finding it, said Sanders, according to The Associated Press.

And if no genetic markers are found, Sanders says that won't mean genetics play no role but that it may mean individual genes have a smaller effect.

Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International and a former homosexual, said even if genetics are found to play a bigger role, it "will never be something that forces people to behave a certain way," according to AP.

"We all have the freedom to choose," said Chambers.

For Thomas, homosexuality is also a choice. He says if a "gay gene" is discovered, it "did not impede my ability to pursue such a dramatic change" from homosexuality to a heterosexuality.

"The truth is that we all have the freedom to make decisions about our sexual behavior," he said. "I've chosen to live in congruence with my faith."

http://www.christianpost.com/article...ays_Ex-Gay.htm
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think we should know if it is caused by a gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yep, even if by some miracle a queer gene is found it does not mean that you must engage in that vile behavior. If they found a pedophilic gene does that mean you have no choice but to fuck kids?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    I think we should know if it is caused by a gene
    Why?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Why?
    Marty just wanted to post something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

because, doesnt the true matter to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Why?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by actsnoblemartin View Post
    because, doesnt the true matter to you?
    Ok Marty if a queer gene is found do you still think its ok for a guy to suck another guy's cock?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OCA View Post
    Yep, even if by some miracle a queer gene is found it does not mean that you must engage in that vile behavior. If they found a pedophilic gene does that mean you have no choice but to fuck kids?
    it does to liberal's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The idea that something is natural or someone might be predisposed to certain things does not at all make it right or wrong.

Some people are predisposed to anger. To be intolerant. to hate. to be violent. to be dishonest. to abuse. These are all perfectly natural acts and feelings. that doesnt mean they are right.

This is why the Gospel teaches that man must be born again. That our very natures must be changed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ so that we no longer have any desire to do evil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    That our very natures must be changed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ so that we no longer have any desire to do evil.
    It doesn't seem to keep Christians from stealing, killing, doing drugs, having affairs, molesting children, etc. What makes you think it'll work any better keeping homosexuals from following their desires?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    It doesn't seem to keep Christians from stealing, killing, doing drugs, having affairs, molesting children, etc. What makes you think it'll work any better keeping homosexuals from following their desires?
    The misbehavior of those who profess Christianity does not negate the truthfulness nor the power of the Gospel in changing lives.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is it that people miss about this? You want to condone a behavior that you, you, you, approve of, and make the rest of us accept.

If you don't approve of the opposition, where then is your authority?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My two cents... they won't find one. Little boys thinking they want to be little girls is a mental illness, nothing more. There's no fag gene.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Ok Marty if a queer gene is found do you still think its ok for a guy to suck another guy's cock?
    Do you always have to be so vulgar? lol

Everytime I see you post I imagine you as one of these two - Statler and Waldorf:

A grumpy old-man...:P

I hope it is a gene so they can annihilate it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I think it is good that this study is being done. But as the article claims, even if there is a gay gene, does it mean people do not have a choice in their sexual practices?

'Gay Gene?' No Big Deal, Says Ex-Gay
    By Lillian Kwon
    Christian Post Reporter
    Tue, Oct. 23 2007 06:25 PM ET

Even if science does prove that a "gay gene" exists, one ex-gay says it doesn't change anything for him.

Randy Thomas – executive vice president of Exodus International, one of the world's largest outreaches to those affected by unwanted homosexual attraction – has been free from same-sex desires for some 15 years.

He said he was once an out-and-proud gay man who was fully supportive of gay socio/political goals but has now embraced a healthy heterosexual approach to relationships.

"If they prove that a 'gay gene' exists in my DNA, why then aren't those genes controlling my life now?" Thomas posed in a column on WorldNetDaily.

New research is being conducted at Northwestern University in Chicago in a search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. The federally-funded study, reported to be the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay, will rely on blood or saliva samples of 1,000 pairs of gay brothers.

Lead researcher Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute believes it is more likely there are several genes along with nongenetic factors that influence sexual orientation rather than one "gay gene."

But "if there's one gene that makes a sizable contribution, we have a pretty good chance" of finding it, said Sanders, according to The Associated Press.

And if no genetic markers are found, Sanders says that won't mean genetics play no role but that it may mean individual genes have a smaller effect.

Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International and a former homosexual, said even if genetics are found to play a bigger role, it "will never be something that forces people to behave a certain way," according to AP.

"We all have the freedom to choose," said Chambers.

For Thomas, homosexuality is also a choice. He says if a "gay gene" is discovered, it "did not impede my ability to pursue such a dramatic change" from homosexuality to a heterosexuality.

"The truth is that we all have the freedom to make decisions about our sexual behavior," he said. "I've chosen to live in congruence with my faith."

http://www.christianpost.com/article...ays_Ex-Gay.htm
    We only have his word that he has been "free" from those nasty desires. But more to the point, why do you, or anyone else for that matter, care? Homosexuality has been a part of human culture for millenia, and it will continue to be. In some societies it is accepted as a "third sex", while in others it is frowned upon with attempts made to repress it. All current evidence indicates that sexual orientation is a synergistic effect of genetics, in utero factors and environmental factors.

Now, the question going begging here, is "What happens if they discover a gene or group of genes responsible for homosexual behavior?" Do those who find homosexuality objectionable finally accept it as part of "God's plan"? Or do they try to find a "cure"? Or perhaps they would like to see all those carrying such genes subjected to mandatory sterilization to remove it, eventually, from the human genome?

As for "ex" homosexuals, it should be noted that Exodus co-founders Michael Bussee and Gary Cooper ran off with each other.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.