Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Nope.. a recording studio doesn't apply as a "high-end" audio system for playback... For recording, sure, but playback is an entirely different animal and I'm sorry, but the studio monitor's don't even come close in comparing to the likes of today's high-end home audio speakers.

And I CAN hear the difference - please don't tell me what I can and can't hear..

I have a background in the audio business and have mixed live audio for years.
    You must work with some very low end stuff, but good for you...John q public can't tell any difference, and I seriously doubt you can either.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yup.. those old reel to reel machines had incredible sound quality...
    Its the analog that does it. Its the only way to accurately reproduce an analog wave.

But for my tin ear and bargain-brand electronics, CDs are alrighty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Its the analog that does it. Its the only way to accurately reproduce an analog wave.

But for my tin ear and bargain-brand electronics, CDs are alrighty.
    Yup.. you nailed it on the head!

Analog is superior for true-to-life sound quality, however, Digital's advantage is consumer ease-of-use and it "sounds good enough"...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yup.. you nailed it on the head!

Analog is superior for true-to-life sound quality, however, Digital's advantage is consumer ease-of-use and it "sounds good enough"...
    ...ergo the popularity of MP3. Its only a matter of time that CDs will go the way of SD cards, or something similar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well....it is all what you play it on and the quaility of the vinyl pressing.....

i have returned to vinyl (still have my original collection 1000+ albums) .....

i have a wilson benesch turntable.....BAT tube amps and pre amp ..... and wilson benesch speakers.....i also have an aeroaudio cd player....

i have played quality CD's and remasted virgin vinyl side by side ....vinyl sounds warmer and has a broader sound stage.....cds sound bright and narrow....even some of my old albums...talking heads 77 sounds better than a brand new CD

here is where i buy all my new vinyl
    http://www.musicdirect.com/

here is a rater esoteric website re: equipment...
    http://www.6moons.com/

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Unfortunately, what is written above is largely a moot point. There are few, if any, recordings being made today that aren't recorded and/or mastered and/or processed and/or etc. digitally before being put on vinyl or CD.

IOW, pretty much all of it has been compromised at one stage or another.
    not true .... in japan they are using the original analog tapes and analog equipment and recutting brand new analog albums ....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    well....it is all what you play it on and the quaility of the vinyl pressing.....

i have returned to vinyl (still have my original collection 1000+ albums) .....

i have a wilson benesch turntable.....BAT tube amps and pre amp ..... and wilson benesch speakers.....i also have an aeroaudio cd player....

i have played quality CD's and remasted virgin vinyl side by side ....vinyl sounds warmer and has a broader sound stage.....cds sound bright and narrow....even some of my old albums...talking heads 77 sounds better than a brand new CD

here is where i buy all my new vinyl
    http://www.musicdirect.com/

here is a rater esoteric website re: equipment...
    http://www.6moons.com/
    So, what do you do about the popping and hissing of vinyl? I seem to remember old pop and hiss components you could add into your system. Didn't ADC make one?

And really, if an analog recording is digitally sampled at a high enough bit rate, there isn't a human alive that could tell them apart. (In my opinion. You may believe you can. OK.) The human ear simply does not have the tonal capacity.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    So, what do you do about the popping and hissing of vinyl? I seem to remember old pop and hiss components you could add into your system. Didn't ADC make one?

And really, if an analog recording is digitally sampled at a high enough bit rate, there isn't a human alive that could tell them apart. (In my opinion. You may believe you can. OK.) The human ear simply does not have the tonal capacity.
    there is no pop and hiss on the new stuff and on the old stuff i took care of....bad recordings sound like shit......and some stuff you can't get.....but a high end tube system and a remastered piece of vinyl is about as good as it gets.....the problem is the system to play it on costs a fortune.....

vinyl sounds warm.....cds sound bright.....to me.....i have done blind tests with people....some like the cds and some like the vinyl ...... it is like arguing about what the best anything is.....

next time you are in the bay area drop by and hear it for yourself......

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there is no pop and hiss on the new stuff and on the old stuff i took care of....bad recordings sound like shit......and some stuff you can't get.....but a high end tube system and a remastered piece of vinyl is about as good as it gets.....the problem is the system to play it on costs a fortune.....

vinyl sounds warm.....cds sound bright.....to me.....i have done blind tests with people....some like the cds and some like the vinyl ...... it is like arguing about what the best anything is.....

next time you are in the bay area drop by and hear it for yourself......
    I'll have to admit, after this debate, I'm just a little more than curious to hear a "new" cut vinyl record. I'm always open to change, if it's for the better. Funny, I was looking at turn tables on ebay just last week. I have old, old records of my mother who used to sing opera, and I've always wanted to, excuse me but, "digitally remaster" them, using something like Waves Restoration Bundle.

The big difference between tube amps and transistor amps is, tube amps run much higher voltage and current, which yes, can be very good, but the transistors are cleaner.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 10-30-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll have to admit, after this debate, I'm just a little more than curious to hear a "new" cut vinyl record. I'm always open to change, if it's for the better. Funny, I was looking at turn tables on ebay just last week. I have old, old records of my mother who used to sing opera, and I've always wanted to, excuse me but, "digitally remaster" them, using something like Waves Restoration Bundle.

The big difference between tube amps and transistor amps is, tube amps run much higher voltage and current, which yes, can be very good, but the transistors are cleaner.
    funny you should bring up tube vs transistor ..... when i bought my new system i listen to tube amps vs transistor and to my ear ..... tubes are light years ahead of transistor .... if you like a bright clean CD sound then transistor and CDs are a no brainer.....but tubes and vinyl and sinatra or jazz or led zep....is brilliant....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

funny you should bring up tube vs transistor ..... when i bought my new system i listen to tube amps vs transistor and to my ear ..... tubes are light years ahead of transistor .... if you like a bright clean CD sound then transistor and CDs are a no brainer.....but tubes and vinyl and sinatra or jazz or led zep....is brilliant....
    Just when I'm pretty well satisfied with my system, and I think it sounds great...

I've been looking forward to the new, cheaper in price, batch of high definition CD/DVD players. My TV is 1080P, I've had it for six months, and I still haven't seen anything on it in 1080P yet. So, I've heard that the high def discs will hold volumes more information on them compared to regular DVD's, and that includes music DVD's. So before I go blowing a load of money on turn tables and vinyl, I do believe I'll go high def. I just bought the new Pioneer VSX-1017TXV, 140W RMS x 7.1 channels and THX Select2 certified. I'm real happy with the power and the sound, but the jury is still out on the controls. If I decide I don't like that, I'll either go back to Sony ES, or try a Denon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just when I'm pretty well satisfied with my system, and I think it sounds great...

I've been looking forward to the new, cheaper in price, batch of high definition CD/DVD players. My TV is 1080P, I've had it for six months, and I still haven't seen anything on it in 1080P yet. So, I've heard that the high def discs will hold volumes more information on them compared to regular DVD's, and that includes music DVD's. So before I go blowing a load of money on turn tables and vinyl, I do believe I'll go high def. I just bought the new Pioneer VSX-1017TXV, 140W RMS x 7.1 channels and THX Select2 certified. I'm real happy with the power and the sound, but the jury is still out on the controls. If I decide I don't like that, I'll either go back to Sony ES, or try a Denon.
    don't get me wrong i love cds....some music you can't get on vinyl....i have an audio aero cd player.....sounds amazing through my tube system.....a good buddy of mine prefers transistors....speakers are like wine or beer.....

you should check out the esoteric cd players.......http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73482

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

don't get me wrong i love cds....some music you can't get on vinyl....i have an audio aero cd player.....sounds amazing through my tube system.....a good buddy of mine prefers transistors....speakers are like wine or beer.....

you should check out the esoteric cd players.......http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73482
    When I think that I've easily got $6K+ tied up in my home theater already, don't show me stuff like that manu. I'm trying to hold it down as is... I live in an apartment. I didn't buy a house when I moved here because I didn't know how long I'd be staying, and I'm glad I didn't because I'm working on moving as we speak. But I've got enough power and speakers to piss people off three buildings away, or maybe it was my sons singing, or mine, naaaaahh, not mine. I sound like Elvis...

I'm listening to Choiceradio.com, Internet radio, Native America broadcast at 100K right now, and I think it sounds good. I love the music.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 10-30-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When I think that I've easily got $6K+ tied up in my home theater already, don't show me stuff like that manu. I'm trying to hold it down as is... I live in an apartment. I didn't buy a house when I moved here because I didn't know how long I'd be staying, and I'm glad I didn't because I'm working on moving as we speak. But I've got enough power and speakers to piss people off three buildings away, or maybe it was my sons singing, or mine, naaaaahh, not mine. I sound like Elvis...

I'm listening to Choiceradio.com, Internet radio, Native America broadcast at 100K right now, and I think it sounds good. I love the music.
    Speaking of Elvis...I heard today he has made $49 million so far this year ...WOW.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Speaking of Elvis...I heard today he has made $49 million so far this year ...WOW.
    I heard that too. The story was that dead entertainers have made $238 million dollars so far this year. Crazy.