Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Said1 View Post
    I think you're wrong. "Man's' territory is their home, among other things. Just like animals, humans can sniff out someone encrouching on their territory, if they try/pay attention etc. I think it's natural to want to protect your home and family (territory), although some take it to an abnormal extreme.
    I agree with you on this, but i am not so certain that this would be labeled as jealousy?

I do think it would be called naive, if one failed to recognize this, if someone is truely encroaching on ones family unit. I don't see this as jealousy, more like protectionism, and this is not a feeling one might have towards their partner, but the radar is up, for the person encroaching and you may give a heads up to your partner that they need to raise their radar too!

i hope that made sense! hahahaha! if it didn't, please permit me a ''second'' shot at it!!!!

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
    I never understood when I'd hear someone say they were going to beat up the other guy "cause he was "stealin' my gal". What about the girl? She had much more responsibility than the 'other' guy. Or, "you know that's the way guys are"; like they don't know how to think.
    They don't ever seem to get upset with their partner. I can't figure that one out. Or is this just a willingness to close your eyes to the fact?
    I just think it hurts a little less if you can focus your anger on the third party. It keeps your mind off the actions of real perpetrator of the betrayal- your spouse/lover.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't jealously just fear--real or imagined ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dilloduck View Post
    Isn't jealously just fear--real or imagined ?
    I see jealousy as fear, real or imagined, and a lack of self worth.

But the "protectionism" (for the lack of a better word at this point) that I believe Said1 was trying to explain or define can be something entirely different.

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no not really

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post

But the "protectionism" (for the lack of a better word at this point) that I believe Said1 was trying to explain or define can be something entirely different.

jd
    So if your mate is flirting with someone, what you are feeling is "protectionism"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if your mate is flirting with someone, what you are feeling is "protectionism"?
    No, absolutely not. If you read my first post, I explained how I view jealousy or have it in check, 100%.

What Said1 is speaking to in my opinion, is where another person has cunningly put on the full court press, to attract or pull away ones spouse from the family unit, and your spouse may be totally unaware of it...yes, maybe he or she is slightly flattered by it, but not necessarily aware of the Viper at hand, but you are aware of it thru instinct, intuition, or whatever you want to call it. I don't see that as jealousy, I see this as being aware your your surroundings and those encroaching on them.

The conversation with one's spouse might go like this:

"You realize that is is not just some cordial flattery going on here and that he or she is "hitting" on you, don't you? Just want to make sure you see it!"

hahahahaha, or something like that.....it is no biggie, no argument arises, if anything, just awareness, and the openess with eachother can lead to positive things happening!

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, absolutely not. If you read my first post, I explained how I view jealousy or have it in check, 100%.

What Said1 is speaking to in my opinion, is where another person has cunningly put on the full court press, to attract or pull away ones spouse from the family unit, and your spouse may be totally unaware of it...yes, maybe he or she is slightly flattered by it, but not necessarily aware of the Viper at hand, but you are aware of it thru instinct, intuition, or whatever you want to call it. I don't see that as jealousy, I see this as being aware your your surroundings and those encroaching on them.

The conversation with one's spouse might go like this:

"You realize that is is not just some cordial flattery going on here and that he or she is "hitting" on you, don't you? Just want to make sure you see it!"

hahahahaha, or something like that.....it is no biggie, no argument arises, if anything, just awareness, and the openess with eachother can lead to positive things happening!

jd
    If you trusted you mate ,why would you have to give them a "heads up" ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm....that's a good question. I suppose it is to keep things open with them, it lets them know what you are seeing and gives them the opportunity to feel flattered at the same time without any guilt.

I can say from experience that Matt appreciates the heads up, he loves to try to rub it in sometimes too just to tease me, like , ''see, there are still other women that think I am attractive....''

I think this is a mild situation described above....and is really not what said1 or I was thinking of when I made my initial response on this protectionism.

It was putting myself in the shoes of others and what I have witnessed in my life, more of a situation where it is someone CUNNINGLY trying to take your man or your woman away.... where it seems like a simple friendship or a relationship with a coworker, or a babysitter or whoever, that you can see or feel or sense that they are trying to break the two of you up. It is possible that a spouse who is too close to the situation and sees the friendship, but not the underlying intent of the one encroaching, might need a heads up, to such....

So you say, there should be no reason not to trust your spouse's judgement and if one's spouse really loves them this will not be a problem in the first place.... and I am saying sometimes they don't see it coming, a heads up does not hurt imo. And also, as I have said, it brings more of an openess with eachother and more security within the relationship.

that's just my opinion on it....

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cause sometimes they just don't see it comin' for whatever reason.
    It's nice to know someone's got your back, don't you think?
    This is a good point
    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe
    ..... your spouse may be totally unaware of it...yes, maybe he or she is slightly flattered by it, but not necessarily aware of the Viper at hand,

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe
    Usually that's what jealousy is; but there are also degrees of jealousy. Little twangs of jealousy, a little apprehension may be good for a relationship.
    Salvation is what we receive; not achieve.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to be. It cost me a long term relationship. Now I know where it came from I can deal with it. It won't happen again.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne View Post
    Cause sometimes they just don't see it comin' for whatever reason.
    It's nice to know someone's got your back, don't you think?
    This is a good point

Usually that's what jealousy is; but there are also degrees of jealousy. Little twangs of jealousy, a little apprehension may be good for a relationship.
    How can some "viper" come in and steal your mate without the consent of your mate and where does this conversation go ?:

"Honey--look out--there is a viper trying to steal you away for me."

"A viper? That person is a good friend and I have no intention of ever leaving you. Are you afraid that I am not in control of myself or are you are you just angry that I have friends other than you ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How can some "viper" come in and steal your mate without the consent of your mate and where does this conversation go ?:

"Honey--look out--there is a viper trying to steal you away for me."

"A viper? That person is a good friend and I have no intention of ever leaving you. Are you afraid that I am not in control of myself or are you are you just angry that I have friends other than you ?
    hahahahahahahahahaha! Well, ok, I can see your point here Dillo, and you are probably right when it comes to how can the Viper steal ones mate if the mate himself doesn't want to be stolen?

But sometimes men or even women may be thinking with the organ between their legs instead of the brain on their shoulders....I think it can probably happen to the best of people, depending on the circumstances and things going on at the homefront....(which the Viper may see and fully try to take advantage of...) and discussing it with ones spouse might actually bring in to the light those feelings, which in my opinion, can only help the two of them because they are discussing it with eachother.

Not all friendships of the opposite sex, outside of marriage, have Vipers involved....I didn't mean to imply this.... just that in some cases they are...and it can't hurt imo to give a heads up to the spouse, if you see it. Sure, the spouse may go on and "do their thing" if things are on shakey ground for whatever reasons on the homefront, but I can guarantee ya, it wouldn't happen as easily if both spouses are aware of the Viper's pressense because it would be all out in the open...at least that is what I think.... I don't really know this, I am just guessing on that guarantee!

jd

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hahahahahahahahahaha! Well, ok, I can see your point here Dillo, and you are probably right when it comes to how can the Viper steal ones mate if the mate himself doesn't want to be stolen?

But sometimes men or even women may be thinking with the organ between their legs instead of the brain on their shoulders....I think it can probably happen to the best of people, depending on the circumstances and things going on at the homefront....(which the Viper may see and fully try to take advantage of...) and discussing it with ones spouse might actually bring in to the light those feelings, which in my opinion, can only help the two of them because they are discussing it with eachother.

Not all friendships of the opposite sex, outside of marriage, have Vipers involved....I didn't mean to imply this.... just that in some cases they are...and it can't hurt imo to give a heads up to the spouse, if you see it. Sure, the spouse may go on and "do their thing" if things are on shakey ground for whatever reasons on the homefront, but I can guarantee ya, it wouldn't happen as easily if both spouses are aware of the Viper's pressense because it would be all out in the open...at least that is what I think.... I don't really know this, I am just guessing on that guarantee!

jd
    Let me simplify this---a relationship is in far more danger from actions by those in the realtionship than any "viper".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let me simplify this---a relationship is in far more danger from actions by those in the realtionship than any "viper".
    That very well may be the case Dillo, but it is not the case in all circumstances. And regardless of this, discussing it with the spouse instead of hiding it with the spouse, may actually bring the two at home closer in the long run. Honesty is the best policy as the saying goes, but then there is the saying of what they don't know, won't hurt too.

I suppose all of this discussion is meaningless because it lacks true details of actual circumstances and is only a speculating type discussion.

jd