Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Interview with "Typomaniac"

I can't say too much personally about Typo, as I haven't known him an awfully long time, and quite frankly, I can't stand the bastard! Just kidding! LOL

Typo has been a nice addition to the board. He seems to have a good deal of knowledge in a wide variety of topics. He not only participates in the political sections where he is willing to share what is sometimes an unpopular view, he frequently shares with us in the chat section, sports and other fun forums. He has the ability to go from one section in the middle of a heated debate, to another section and have fun with the rest of the members. This "letting go" is refreshing to see.

Can you share with the board a little about yourself and your background?

I'm a fourth-generation native Californian and, other than my years in college and grad school, I've lived in Silicon Valley all my life. It's not as far left as San Francisco, Berkeley, or Santa Cruz, but it's still very liberal compared to most of the rest of the country.

My dad worked for the San Jose newspaper for over 40 years, much of it as the paper's chief editorial writer. So that's almost certainly how I got interested in politics to begin with.

What brought you to Debate Policy?

Recommendations from fellow poster-pundits I knew on other boards.

Who do you think will win the Democratic and Republican nominations respectively, and why?

Barring any huge surprises in each case, Clinton and Giuliani. I'm expecting Hillary to win the Democratic nomination because her campaign has the most resources, Obama has made more dumb mistakes than he should have made by this point, and, frankly, because a lot of people will be attracted to the idea of possibly electing the first female president. For the GOP, I'm predicting Giuliani because nearly every Republican who doesn't fall into the "values voter" demographic is pushing for a change, and Giuliani is about as far away from Bush politically as it's possible to be. Widespread disgust with Bush is hurting Romney and many other candidates, and it will continue to do so.

Rudy Giuliani, your thoughts?

I don't believe that he's good for the GOP or for the country (not that Hillary would be all that much better). Nor do I think he's likely to change the culture of corruption that's now rampant in Washington, and in fact he could make it worse. In the plus column, he has a good track record of getting things accomplished in public office.

Do you think illegal aliens should be granted drivers licenses?

Absolutely not. In fact, I don't believe the current propaganda about how it's hopeless to try to deport them, as the politicans are spinning it these days. It's essential for this country to punish both the illegals and those who hire them much more harshly than it's doing now.

How do you think GW Bush will be remembered 50 years from now?

Probably in about the same esteem as Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover are today. Maybe a little above Harding and a little below Hoover.

Tell us what a typical Friday night would be for Typomaniac if he wasn't here harassing us on DP?

I often go one of the local gyms for some exercise. Depending on who's staffing the front desk, I'll bring my dog along so that he can chill out behind the counter: he loves being taken on outings. I never liked the nightclub scene: when I drink, I want it to be with people I know.

What would YOU do to improve the board as a whole?

Apart from in the Steel Cage, I'd make a rule that no one is allowed to directly insult another board member, or anyone else other than a public figure. (The Steel Cage itself should be visible only to members who are logged in.) Also, a forum specifically for member feedback and suggestions would be nice.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Holy crap, I agree with typo about illegals!!!

Nice interview. guys!