Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'm a Texan. Listen to the words:

My favorite song by Freddy Fender.. --Tyr

edit- I bet I played that song on the jukebox a thousand times when my first wife and I divorced. Drank a damn lot those months too, all that summer. That part wasn't so bad.. it was those wicked following mornings that chased the bugs in my poor 'ole aching head that made me swear to never do it again. Which I promptly broke the next night in my favorite watering hole.
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 03-18-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

2. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot View Post
    My favorite song by Freddy Fender.. --Tyr

edit- I bet I played that song on the jukebox a thousand times when my first wife and I divorced. Drank a damn lot those months too, all that summer. That part wasn't so bad.. it was those wicked following mornings that chased the bugs in my poor 'ole aching head that made me swear to never do it again. Which I promptly broke the next night in my favorite watering hole.
    Damn. I was 13 when that song was on the jukebox. Used to play at the Dairy Queen where we got some yummy, greasy tacos. Probably outlawed by now.

I can't drink.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

4. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

“When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Damn. I was 13 when that song was on the jukebox. Used to play at the Dairy Queen where we got some yummy, greasy tacos. Probably outlawed by now.

I can't drink.
    You got me beat. I can't drink nor can I eat greasy tacos. My meds will not jive well with me doing either one. Yep, more grease = more flavor.
    18 U.S. Code § 2381-Treason Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

GUNNY. Probably the most accurate, honest words we will hear today.

God is great, beer is good, and....People Really Are Crazy!

Just step outside your door. PROOF!
    I love to make Liberals Cry, and Whine.
    So, this is for them.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA - IN GOD WE TRUST !

9. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

11. Thanks namvet thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

No song slays me more than that song--absolutely none. It did so first time I ever heard it and ever time since its just increased. In fact, now in my old age the lyrics speak to me like the beating of my old heart. As images in my life flash thru my mind. I see heart ache, heart break and all the hurts that make a man better for having simply survived them.
    That song became a part of me and its never left. I usually only listen to it about once a year because of the memories and emotions it brings. Every time I hear it I think of many girls I knew but one very special gal that recently died. I miss her spirit, her charms and her way of forcing me to face me. I did her wrong and she was right to kick me to the curb. She Jap slapped my sorry wild young ass and it was well deserved. I've not ever been accused of being overly sensitive but truly that song slays me..-I have a request that that song be played once at the start of my funeral and again at its closed. I do not care what transpires between those two points in time. Tyr
    Last edited by Tyr-Ziu Saxnot; 04-13-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

The older version. Apparently you remember the attire. The song has always meant something to me. Usually melancholy and loss. Don't know why. I listen to it more than once a year. Never get tired of it.

16. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

The older version. Apparently you remember the attire. The song has always meant something to me. Usually melancholy and loss. Don't know why. I listen to it more than once a year. Never get tired of it.
    That's the one I listen to. I like it better and the singer nailed it when he was young. He still does mighty fine as an older man but nothing like the original..

I remember singers dressing like that but we Southern boys never did. We were too wedded to our blue jeans (Levi's), sleeveless shirts and slicked back hair.. Although I did later go about with long hair simply because it gave me good cause to fight so often when the rednecks tried to f-with me about it. I liked that as it kept me in practice..
    Alas, those damn good 'ole days are damn sure gone for good. Most of us old timers from that era miss that "free love trip" the gals were into back then. Man it was hog heaven!!! --Tyr

18. Thanks Gunny thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

That's the one I listen to. I like it better and the singer nailed it when he was young. He still does mighty fine as an older man but nothing like the original..

I remember singers dressing like that but we Southern boys never did. We were too wedded to our blue jeans (Levi's), sleeveless shirts and slicked back hair.. Although I did later go about with long hair simply because it gave me good cause to fight so often when the rednecks tried to f-with me about it. I liked that as it kept me in practice..
    Alas, those damn good 'ole days are damn sure gone for good. Most of us old timers from that era miss that "free love trip" the gals were into back then. Man it was hog heaven!!! --Tyr
    I like the original recording to listen to. Watching however, I think his voice suits how he looks now better. I have a hard time placing that voice with how he looked in '68.

I must be about 10 years after you. I was a teen in the 70s. I'm NOT sorry those Beatles frock, banded collar coats went out before my time. I did however sport a pair of striped bell bottoms or two in the late 60s. My mom's idea of dressing us "mod". All I ever wanted was a pair of Levis. First thing I did when I started doing the lawnmower drag through the neighborhood was take my proceeds and buy a pair.

20. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

I like the original recording to listen to. Watching however, I think his voice suits how he looks now better. I have a hard time placing that voice with how he looked in '68.

I must be about 10 years after you. I was a teen in the 70s. I'm NOT sorry those Beatles frock, banded collar coats went out before my time. I did however sport a pair of striped bell bottoms or two in the late 60s. My mom's idea of dressing us "mod". All I ever wanted was a pair of Levis. First thing I did when I started doing the lawnmower drag through the neighborhood was take my proceeds and buy a pair.
    Ten years sounds close to right , I was born in 54'.. I wore bell bottoms back during my hippie, free love stint years. Had to dress the part for the gals you know. However never wore the big bells. That crap looked just too damn freaky for me! Stayed away from the hard drugs because I could not allow myself to ever get that ffed up because I had enemies by the score just waiting to catch me really ffed up enough to try to break me! Went thru my 'downers' pain pills stint and survived it.. That was a real tough bitch to kick. I kicked it mostly by staying drunk long enough to win the battle.

Hell, looking back I wonder how the hell I ever lived to get past 30.. I was around too many very bad people and 75% of my compadres died before ever making it to the big 3 0..

Had three friends go to Nam, one came back ok, one came back in a box and the other came back minus a leg. Between motorcycle wrecks, bar fights(as a bouncer mostly), too much booze, too many mean ass women this old dog shouldn't even be here.
    The women took a damn bigger toll on me that all the others combined! Two of them "pert nert ruined me". --Tyr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Ten years sounds close to right , I was born in 54'.. I wore bell bottoms back during my hippie, free love stint years. Had to dress the part for the gals you know. However never wore the big bells. That crap looked just too damn freaky for me! Stayed away from the hard drugs because I could not allow myself to ever get that ffed up because I had enemies by the score just waiting to catch me really ffed up enough to try to break me! Went thru my 'downers' pain pills stint and survived it.. That was a real tough bitch to kick. I kicked it mostly by staying drunk long enough to win the battle.

Hell, looking back I wonder how the hell I ever lived to get past 30.. I was around too many very bad people and 75% of my compadres died before ever making it to the big 3 0..

Had three friends go to Nam, one came back ok, one came back in a box and the other came back minus a leg. Between motorcycle wrecks, bar fights(as a bouncer mostly), too much booze, too many mean ass women this old dog shouldn't even be here.
    The women took a damn bigger toll on me that all the others combined! Two of them "pert nert ruined me". --Tyr
    Make that 5 years. I was born in 59.

I hear ya on the "how'd I ever survive" front. I spent my later teen years in Miami late-70s-80 and I wasn't running with little dogs NOR under the porch. I joined the Marines and got the fuck out ahead of the posse. Never been back and don't plan to. Did my stint as a bouncer there.

I hear ya' on the women thing too. I'd probably be my actual age if not for the extra wear and tear they've put on me.

23. Thanks Tyr-Ziu Saxnot thanked this post