Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Classact View Post
    In my definition the words Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion means that Congress will not form a religion as an act of law, will not cho(o)se a flavor of the varieties of religion available and make it part of the government and Congress will simply not apply religion as a mandate.

If the above were not true how could the position of Chaplain of the Senate and the House of Representatives be an elected office voted on by all members of the House and Senate? If they elect a Christian Chaplain are they not establishing Christianity under your definition of establishment?
    There it is. You posted it yourself. The founders wanted to keep religion out of government, i.e. they wanted to keep the government secular. They'd seen firsthand the evils of theocratic rule and religious suppression in England and elsewhere.
    Nobody denies that most if not all of the founders believed in God. Seeing as how Darwin hadn't even been born yet, it's no surprise either that most if not all of them believed humans had been created by God too. But no one can deny that they created a secular government. It's written right there in the first amendment. The first sentence no less!
    Having a chaplain in Congress to be there to address the religious needs of the elected members is in no way "establishing a religion." Give me a break. People are free to exercise their religion under the first amendment. Do I really have to explain stupid crap like this? Read a fourth-grade social studies book before coming on here and posting this childish crap. Geez. :/
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 11-26-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.