Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
On the separation of powers, Montesqieu was heeded by the Founders and he wrote on the need for separation (although the idea had been around for a long time before him).

As for freedom from religion/freedom of religion. I suppose if the Founders had wanted a state religion they would have made sure it appeared in the Constutition.
I agree. The founders didn't want an Official religion. They also made law that the government could not stop ones religious expression. This happens everyday in this country. Christianity is in no way pushed on people by the government. Maybe by citizens. However, if a local city councilman ends a prayer with "In Jesus Name" there are lawsuits filed. This is clearly the government getting involved in someones religious freedom. One persons beliefs, no matter what his/her job, is not the government forcing others into accepting only that religion. It is one person, freely expressing his/her beliefs. That part is in the constitution. Not separation of church and state. I know that some would say that being against gay marriage is a religious belief, therefore religion is being pushed on the people. So what. Religous beliefs set certain standards as to what one thinks is right and wrong. People who aren't religious at all have standards of right and wrong. Should there be an amendment that states, Congress shall pass no law establishing what's right or wrong, as to others may not agree with you? I see no problem with a candidate being religious. As long as I am not told what religion I have to be.