Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Coldest winter in 15 years, Environment Canada says

Big whoop. I like what the climatologist says at the end of the article.....about weather behaving as it should.

Blast from the past? Coldest winter in 15 years, Environment Canada says

Not since the grunge era and Brian Mulroney's days as prime minister has Canada experienced a winter quite as bitter as the one expected to creep in this December, Environment Canada forecasted on Friday.

In its first winter outlook of the year, the agency predicts that until February, climates across most of the country will be the coldest in 15 years, with the exception of a small pocket in southern Ontario.

Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said the trend in recent years of uncharacteristically warm, short winters will be wiped out by a chilly reminder of what a real Canadian winter feels like.

Although it won't necessarily be "the winter from hell or face-numbing wind chills every time," Phillips said temperature-wise, "we could have conditions that would be perhaps three-quarters or a degree colder than normal."

Colder air this year is expected to drive down temperatures.

"We think that with La Nina — which encourages more Canadian air, more Siberian air, whatever you want to call it, Alaskan air — it tends to be more of that flow," he said, referring to the phenomenon of lower-than-normal temperatures in the Pacific Ocean.

The cooler climate will likely also blanket some cities with snow after years without a white Christmas, he said.

A hydrant in the St. John's area is obscured by snow.
    (Canadian Press)
    Last year, a number of traditionally cold and snow-covered cities such as Quebec City, Ottawa and Timmins, Ont., had their first green Christmas in decades.

There are several up-sides to the mercury dipping, Phillips said. Winter sports enthusiasts might embrace the cooler winter, as would businesses that rely on the snow.

"I always think it's good for the economy when weather is behaving like it should, when winters are cold and summers are hot," he said, adding more people will likely book holidays to escape the harsh weather.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...-forecast.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're a hardy people, winter for me is an average temp of about 6c in the middle of winter. This minus stuff is bloody unbelievable.
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Global warming!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah we all know global warming is the main cause for global cooling.
    2. Wait for it!
    3. Neo~Liberal spin machine is warming up now!

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas
    "At Times We Cry, At Time We Fly" ~CWN
    "See You Down The Road Man" ~ CWN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newsflash - it's called "climate change".

Question though - why the serial scepticism? I mean I know why some big businesses are spinning the scepticism thing, it could mean increased costs for them (which they will pass on anyway) but why is it that so many of you embrace the scepticism when there's nothing in it for you. Why is that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diuretic View Post
    Newsflash - it's called "climate change".

Question though - why the serial scepticism? I mean I know why some big businesses are spinning the scepticism thing, it could mean increased costs for them (which they will pass on anyway) but why is it that so many of you embrace the scepticism when there's nothing in it for you. Why is that?
    We don't like to be lied to.

BTW how much money does Al Gore make by spouting his religion?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    We don't like to be lied to.
    How would you know if you were?

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail:

BTW how much money does Al Gore make by spouting his religion?
    I think it's important to accept that a whole bunch of scientific views about climate change isn't a "religion". I won't begin to attack the notion because I'll end up offending religious people but suffice to say that science isn't religion. And using "religion" in a derogatory form doesn't do much for the elegance of your argument, you being a scientist should know the foregoing better than me.

How much money goes Gore make from his efforts? I have no idea. Just like I have no idea about how much expenditure is involved.

If you're arguing a conflict of interest fine, go ahead, I don't like your chances of succeeding (not with me, with the argument itself, this isn't a competition) with it though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Money and global warming, hmm. Of the signatories to the Kyoto Protocol that violate their terms, where does the money go from the fines? And who (not the nations) ultimately pays those fines?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its all Bush's fault
    There is no wrong way to do the right thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

[1]How would you know if you were?

[2]I think it's important to accept that a whole bunch of scientific views about climate change isn't a "religion". I won't begin to attack the notion because I'll end up offending religious people but suffice to say that science isn't religion. And using "religion" in a derogatory form doesn't do much for the elegance of your argument, you being a scientist should know the foregoing better than me.

[3]How much money goes Gore make from his efforts? I have no idea. Just like I have no idea about how much expenditure is involved.

If you're arguing a conflict of interest fine, go ahead, I don't like your chances of succeeding (not with me, with the argument itself, this isn't a competition) with it though.
    1. I know it’s a lie because the Gore-types never acknowledge conflicting results. Instead they triangulate their position by suggesting "climate change" like was done here.
    2. It is a religion as it is based on faith, not science.
    3. Conflict of interest is the issue. I don’t give a shit about how much he makes off of it. Fools and their money, after all. But this guy is claiming the sky is falling and all the while he’s selling “carbon credits”. Its bullshit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. I know it’s a lie because the Gore-types never acknowledge conflicting results. Instead they triangulate their position by suggesting "climate change" like was done here.
    2. It is a religion as it is based on faith, not science.
    3. Conflict of interest is the issue. I don’t give a shit about how much he makes off of it. Fools and their money, after all. But this guy is claiming the sky is falling and all the while he’s selling “carbon credits”. Its bullshit.
    I'm listening to some news reports here which are discussing our policy shift. One commentator (from a bank) is saying that carbon trading and associated ventures could make our current mining boom like miniscule in comparison, that there could be "trillions" of dollars in it. Seems like a sensible use of market forces.

No need to panic, the world won't end if we take action now to slow down the rate of global climate change, best we do it now rather than be panicked into having to do something really radical in future.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm listening to some news reports here which are discussing our policy shift. One commentator (from a bank) is saying that carbon trading and associated ventures could make our current mining boom like miniscule in comparison, that there could be "trillions" of dollars in it. Seems like a sensible use of market forces.

No need to panic, the world won't end if we take action now to slow down the rate of global climate change, best we do it now rather than be panicked into having to do something really radical in future.
    I saw a bit about that on the news this afternoon. I didn't catch it all. Ddid they sign at Bal, or are planning to in the future?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/2108345.htm

All done. And he (our PM) and the Treasurer and a couple of ministers with relevant portfolios are going to Bali. Things are looking up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The problem is that trading carbon credits creates nothing of value. Mining, on the other hand, does.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is that trading carbon credits creates nothing of value. Mining, on the other hand, does.
    I thought about that. I'm probably doing a reductio on this but it seems to me that (let's take mining as an example) that we (using Aus for the moment) dig up our minerals, let's say iron ore. That of itself is nothing, it's work which at that point isn't productive. The iron ore is transported to China or India, still just work. The iron ore is smelted into steel. Still work but at least that's value-adding, the commodity has changed from basically metallic dirt to something that can be used, say building an office in which people can work, or building a block of houses which people can live in. So yes, definitely there's value created.

Carbon trading can lead to a good as well, if it's cumulative effect is to slow, halt or reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere (I'm being simplistic I know but sophisticated science discussion is beyond me) then that helps humanity as much as a new office block or a row of houses. At least that's my thinking on it.