Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default My Nominee for the Darwin award

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? What is with the adult pacifier addiction to the cell phone? I hate to talk on the phone, why do so many feel a need to be on it constantly...... even when they aren't talking on them they stare at them like zombies. Most people I encounter are useless idiots.

Man talking on cell phone killed by train in San Leandro
    Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, December 6, 2007

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA3NTOVO7.DTL

(12-05) 17:02 PST SAN LEANDRO - A pedestrian apparently absorbed in a cell phone call was struck and killed by an Amtrak train in San Leandro today after he walked around a lowered crossing gate and onto the tracks, authorities said.
    The victim, a man who was not immediately identified, was struck at 12:30 p.m. by a northbound Capitol Corridor train at the Alvarado Street crossing, about 8 miles south of the Oakland station, Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham said.
    None of the 20 passengers or crew aboard the train was injured. That train and two others were delayed and another Capitol Corridor train was cancelled, Graham said.
    Crew members aboard the Sacramento-bound train told authorities they saw the victim talking on the cell phone before he was struck, Graham said. The warning lights and gates at the crossing were functioning properly, she added.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sitarro View Post
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? What is with the adult pacifier addiction to the cell phone? I hate to talk on the phone, why do so many feel a need to be on it constantly...... even when they aren't talking on them they stare at them like zombies. Most people I encounter are useless idiots.

Man talking on cell phone killed by train in San Leandro
    Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, December 6, 2007

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA3NTOVO7.DTL

(12-05) 17:02 PST SAN LEANDRO - A pedestrian apparently absorbed in a cell phone call was struck and killed by an Amtrak train in San Leandro today after he walked around a lowered crossing gate and onto the tracks, authorities said.
    The victim, a man who was not immediately identified, was struck at 12:30 p.m. by a northbound Capitol Corridor train at the Alvarado Street crossing, about 8 miles south of the Oakland station, Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham said.
    None of the 20 passengers or crew aboard the train was injured. That train and two others were delayed and another Capitol Corridor train was cancelled, Graham said.
    Crew members aboard the Sacramento-bound train told authorities they saw the victim talking on the cell phone before he was struck, Graham said. The warning lights and gates at the crossing were functioning properly, she added.
    Phone at ear, brain shuts down...good example of why I think cell phone use in a car by the driver should be illegal.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Here's mine:

Road rage ends in driver dead
    Hesperia man stops in slow lane, punches other driver
    RACHEL BYRD
    December 5, 2007 - 9:48AM

VICTORVILLE— A case of road rage ended with the death of a Hesperia man around 1 a.m. Wednesday on Interstate 15 near Stoddard Wells Road.

The California Highway Patrol received two calls shortly before 1 a.m. that a minivan traveling north on I-15 was recklessly cutting off other vehicles.

Witnesses observed the minivan tail a Toyota Corolla while going about 80 mph. The driver of the Corolla moved to the right and stopped on the right shoulder, and later told officials that he thought the driver of the van was a police officer.

The minivan driver, Kyle Gavin Barry, 24, stopped in the slow lane alongside the Corolla, got out of the van and approached the driver, claiming to be an FBI agent.

When the driver of the Corolla asked to see Barry’s identification, Barry punched the driver in the nose, breaking his glasses.

The driver of the Corolla drove away and called police. Officials believe that as Barry got back in his van and was struck from behind by a tractor-trailer going about 55 mph.
    Barry was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

The truck driver Peter Aguirre Jr., 46, of Victorville was unable to avoid the accident because Barry had stopped, blocking the lane, said CHP Officer Melanie Weaver.

Aguirre was not injured.

Barry and the Corolla driver did not know each other, Weaver said.

Authorities are still investigating Barry’s erratic driving before the collision and the assault, and they are not releasing the name of the Corolla driver, Weaver said.

There are no charges filed against Aguirre at this time.

Road rage ends in driver dead
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Wanna bet the family of cell phone guy sues, even though the lights and other warnings were working?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Wanna bet the family of cell phone guy sues, even though the lights and other warnings were working?
    Nah, they'd be thrown out of court. There's no basis for a case. Most lawyers would tell them the same I think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Nah, they'd be thrown out of court. There's no basis for a case. Most lawyers would tell them the same I think.
    No way, they probably already have "ambulance chasers" at their doors telling them to sue, sue, sue. Chances are good that Amtrak (well, most likely their insurance carrier) will settle out of court and this family will be well off for a long, long time. Not only that but the "ambulance chasers" will be telling them to sue the maker of the cell phone as well.

Sorry, Avatar, I realize that this is your chosen profession. Just note, not all attorneys are like that. I have worked for some really good ones.

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My suit claims the crossing guards/gates did not prevent a pedestrian from walking onto the tracks...and therefor the rail company IS NEGLIGENT.

I'll win too or at least settle.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Suing, and proceeding with the case are two different things. One can sue on just about any basis; how much good it does you is another question. Btw, very few things are "thrown out of court" up front. I wish they were.
    Last edited by Abbey Marie; 12-06-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Instead of crossing gates, the Train company/owners of the rail, should have large bird cages which drop from the sky to "protect" anyone near a running train.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    I'll play plaintiff's lawyer:

the old, traditional, type of warnings are simply not adequate in today's world. They may have worked 30, 40 or 50 years ago, but they simply are not enough in today's complex, technologically advance society.

A simple solution, that would have cost the rail companies minimal expense, would have been to install cell tower warnings at each crossing..........

I'll take my spanking now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yurt View Post
    I'll play plaintiff's lawyer:

the old, traditional, type of warnings are simply not adequate in today's world. They may have worked 30, 40 or 50 years ago, but they simply are not enough in today's complex, technologically advance society.

A simple solution, that would have cost the rail companies minimal expense, would have been to install cell tower warnings at each crossing..........

I'll take my spanking now
    Get away from my case you low life! I already said they were negligent!

Above the Best