Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a new TV

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Got a new TV

Picked up this Magnavox (Philips) 42" 1080p - delivered this weekend.

The picture quality on HD is FANTASTIC. VERY VERY good - especially considering we paid less than $800 for the piece.

however - showed up with a green/yellow band. I called the maker the day we got the TV - today a guy will come over to diagnose the problem and order the repair parts. The band isn't super-bothersome all the time; but it's noticeable. Once it's fixed, the picture will be top-notch.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

The picture quality on HD is FANTASTIC. VERY VERY good - especially considering we paid less than $800 for the piece.

however - showed up with a green/yellow band. I called the maker the day we got the TV - today a guy will come over to diagnose the problem and order the repair parts. The band isn't super-bothersome all the time; but it's noticeable. Once it's fixed, the picture will be top-notch.
    It's new, won't they just replace it instead of a repair?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now you'll need a 1080P sourse/input before you'll see what it can REALLY do. The highest resolution of broadcast/cable/dish is 1080i. I've got the same problem. I've been watching autions on ebay for the Samsung DP-1400 high def BR DVD player. A very nice unit that will play not only BR DVD's, but all your old DVD's and CD's as well, and it will upscale those old DVD's to 1080P. It will also decode and play the new high def sound tracks, PCM Audio and Legacy dts 5.1 Dolby Digital, and Dolby TrueHD. Of course then you'll need a new receiver that will decode THAT...

It never ends brother.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-11-2007 at 11:35 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    It's new, won't they just replace it instead of a repair?
    I'm guessing they're repair it - but we won't know until the (contracted) technician makes his assessment. We got it online from the manufacturer - I'm sure they'll take care of us fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Now you'll need a 1080P source/input before you'll see what it can REALLY do. The highest resolution of broadcast/cable/dish is 1080i.
    Absolutely! Any suggestions?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ..................

Demand a replacement TV. Once problems start they keep coming. You should also get a HD DVD player or atleast an up conversion one(you can get a good sony one for about $100) you wont believe the picture. Also with the up conversion one you can play your existing DVD's.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'. Have any model numbers of DVD players which are 'upped'? Any sugestions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'.
    There are the occasional lemons that will never work correctly. Repaired sets are for the most part as dependable as new ones.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
    There are the occasional lemons that will never work correctly. Repaired sets are for the most part as dependable as new ones.
    Yeah...but on the other hand you bought NEW not one in need of repair.

That's my angle anyway.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ...................

I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'. Have any model numbers of DVD players which are 'upped'? Any sugestions?
    I have the Sony one myself. You have to have an HDMI input on your TV and you have to get the HDMI cable which I reccommend Monster. The two I reccommend are both Sony Model: DVPNS77H/B which is $99.99 and Model: DVP-NS90V which is $199.99 but onsale on Best Buy's website for $179.99, this is the one I have and it's awesome.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I have HDMI from my cable box already. There's no way I'd spend more than about $4 on an HDMI cable; I've never seen a difference between cables. I'll look at those models - thanks much!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Not to mention you can usually negotiate an extended warrantee out of the deal. I did that with the first TV I ever bought (last one- no box, so I asked for the extended and they gave it) and I still have it after 21 years. Manufacturers and retailers HATE open-box returns. It destroys their profits.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Yeah...but on the other hand you bought NEW not one in need of repair.

That's my angle anyway.
    If they can replace the bad circuit board inside with a new one the set IS as good as new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If they can replace the bad circuit board inside with a new one the set IS as good as new.
    IF, MAYBE...yep..

Maybe it's just me, maybe old school, but if it doesn't work properly out of the box, it should be replaced or at least discounted.

Above the Best

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Did you guys miss the part where this 42" LCD 1080p was less than $800 shipped? As long as Magnavox/Philips makes it right, We're e substantially ahead of the ~$1412.22 we'd have to had spent at WalMart.