Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Got Some New Speakers Coming...

Yeah I've had the Infinity's for a little over two years now and I'm bored with them. Yes I think they're damn fine speakers. Their clarity and stereo imaging are impressive, but start to get a little mid heavy when turned up, and I've been missing that lovely bass thump of a bigger speaker. The twin 8" woofers in the Infinity's just don't do it. I believe those speakers were meant to be used with a sub-woofer, but I just can't bring myself to buy one of those. Don't know why... just don't like 'em. Maybe someday. But for now, the new speakers on their way in are legandary Cerwin Vega CLS-12's. I've been reading as many speaker reviews as I can find online about this speaker or that, and I've found that some of the most satified owners around are the Cerwin Vega people. The reviews of these speakers is simply glowing all around, and for the money, what the hell. I'm trying a pair, and I'll also get the matching surrounds as soon I sell all my Infinity's.

Cerwin Vega CLS-12

The most popular tower in the Classic Series, the CLS-12 offers three-way performance in a stylish enclosure. Featuring a 12-inch, cast frame high excursion woofer, the CLS includes a 6.5-inch mid-range speaker and a 1-inch soft dome tweeter coupled to a proprietary mid and high frequency waveguide..

• Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz
    • Peak Power Handling: 300 watts
    • Sensitivity (1w/1m): 92 dB
    • 6 1/2" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
    • 1" Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
    • 12" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
    • Proprietary Mid and High Frequency Waveguide
    • Fuse Protection
    • Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure

Dimensions (HxWxD): 37" x 14" x 11.7"

Weight: 57 lbs.

Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-12-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default .....................

I have Klipsch myself.

If you attack the Clintons publically make sure all your friends know your not planning on commiting suicide ~ McCain 2008
    Happiness is Obama's picture on the back of a milk carton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nevadamedic View Post
    I have Klipsch myself.
    I don't have anything in particular against Klipsch. I've listened to them, and they just don't excite me. They sound plain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I don't have anything in particular against Klipsch. I've listened to them, and they just don't excite me. They sound plain.
    i have a pair of klipsch bookshelf speakers....they sound great....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I used to have CW!

Klipsch are the most-dynamic speakers on the market - at least 'affordable' speakers. They sound AMAZING. Personally, all CW's I've heard sounded a bit muddy - no offense, just my personal preference.

NM - what Klipsch do you have?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I used to have CW!

Klipsch are the most-dynamic speakers on the market - at least 'affordable' speakers. They sound AMAZING. Personally, all CW's I've heard sounded a bit muddy - no offense, just my personal preference.

klipsch are "bright" speakers.....

CV are "warm" speakers....

if they sounded muddy they probably were not balanced in the room you were listening to them....ethier too close our too far from the wall behinde them and or toed in or out too far...

it goes without saying one should pick speakers based on the music you like and based on listening to your fav music on them.....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to have CW!

The new "Classic" Series, "CLS", Cerwins that I've got on order, have a brand new 1" soft dome tweeter with ferro fluid cooling, and a new 6 1/2" midrange with a fiber impregnated cone, and judging from the reviews, they're clear as a bell. Older CV's had a paper cone tweeter and smaller mid, and you're right, they weren't that clear. Just loud. I'll post after I get these new CV's home and get them bi-amped with 280 watts RMS per speaker what they sound like. They'll take 300 watts, so I'll have them powered up real close to their limit. Usually that makes a big difference in how a speaker sounds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    i have a pair of klipsch bookshelf speakers....they sound great....
    I've never owned Klipsch. Maybe if I don't like these CV's, I'll have to give Klipsch another listen.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I think most folk, or at least many folk underpower their loudspeakers.

I'm fairly intimate with this set up from Klipsch:

They are bright and warm, IMO:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-7.aspx
    They are complimented by a 15" powered sub. Ask -Cp about 'em. They're his.

I used to have a set of Klipsch Forte II loudspeakers. I LOVED them - they were very accurate, but they POUNDED...HARD. I loved that. No, I don't love hard poundings...unless I'm doing the pounding...erp...derailed thread. Sorry

I'm going to settle for these for our home-theatre: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-5650-w.aspx

We just don't have room for floor-standing speakers.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I've never owned Klipsch. Maybe if I don't like these CV's, I'll have to give Klipsch another listen.
    you could always buy some wilson benesch act .... and mono block them...

this is where i buy my crap.....http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=loudspeakers.....

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    klipsch are "bright" speakers.....

CV are "warm" speakers....

if they sounded muddy they probably were not balanced in the room you were listening to them....ethier too close our too far from the wall behinde them and or toed in or out too far...

it goes without saying one should pick speakers based on the music you like and based on listening to your fav music on them.....
    And that's how I'd describe my Infinity Beta's. "Bright," and I'm sick of bright. It's hard to get them to "hit" a little harder, and lose some of that, and they're especially "bright" when cranked a little. I've always had speakers with bigger woofers in them. These Infinity towers are the first towers I've ever owned. They DO need a sub to compliment them. I mean, check out these speakers below. Those were what I had before I bought the Infinity's. Those things would rattle your nut sack standing eight feet away, and I ain't shittin'. I want to get back to something like that. Something that will "move some air." The JBL's below were just a little more than a hand full to move at 102 pounds a piece.

JBL S412P's....

Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-13-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Does that little motorcycle ever get vibrated off the cabinet?

Didn't you get a new tv awhile ago?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And as I've posted before... this is what I'm working towards. The Legacy Focus. Simply one of the best sounding speakers in the world, at a mere $5,500 a pair. Soon as I get this Harley paid off...

Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-12-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does that little motorcycle ever get vibrated off the cabinet?

Didn't you get a new tv awhile ago?
    Oh yeah... that pic is from when I was going to MMI back in Phoenix, five years ago.

And I've had two new TV's since. I bought a 42" Toshiba HDTV, and that thing was a POS from day one, and now I have a 56" JVC D-ILA 1080P, and that one is a jewel. I love it.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 12-12-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That's only a week's pay for Manu.