Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Veto coming?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/...usa_torture_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Democratic-led House of Representatives voted on Thursday to outlaw harsh interrogation methods, such as simulated drowning, that the CIA has used against suspected terrorists.

On a 222-199 vote, the House approved a measure to require intelligence agents to comply with the Army Field Manual, which meets the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of war prisoners and prohibits torture.
    If this makes it to the President's desk will he veto it? If so, what will be his reasons? What do you think he should do if both houses of Congress pass this bill?

Immie
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/...usa_torture_dc

If this makes it to the President's desk will he veto it? If so, what will be his reasons? What do you think he should do if both houses of Congress pass this bill?

Immie
    watching this congress work is simulated drowning.....

tell me is baseball and fake drowning terrorists the two most important issues facing the american people......

tell me how will this directly affect your day to day life....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He'll veto it if the language really is "harsh interrogation methods." Anyone with decent legal counsel would. It's way too vague.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    watching this congress work is simulated drowning.....

tell me is baseball and fake drowning terrorists the two most important issues facing the american people......

tell me how will this directly affect your day to day life....
    Who cares about baseball?

Simulated drowning? Haha, that pun earns you a pos rep, if I don't have to spread it around.

Actually, I believe the torture issue to be an important issue because it leads to civil rights, our civil rights. If torture becomes acceptable against foreigners how long before it becomes acceptable against an American Citizen? I know, I know, the old slippery slop argument. I'm sorry, but this issue concerns me.

Immie
    Last edited by Immanuel; 12-13-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    For it is by Grace you have been saved, through faith -- and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God -- not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
    Who cares about baseball?

Simulated drowning? Haha, that pun earns you a pos rep, if I don't have to spread it around.

Actually, I believe the torture issue to be an important issue because it leads to civil rights, our civil rights. If torture becomes acceptable against foreigners how long before it becomes acceptable against an American Citizen? I know, I know, the old slippery slop argument. I'm sorry, but this issue concerns me.

Immie
    thanks....i don't agree with slippery slope fears ..... faux torture of terrorists is not drawing and quatering citizens .....

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is."

~Albert Camus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    thanks....i don't agree with slippery slope fears ..... faux torture of terrorists is not drawing and quatering citizens .....
    My concern is that America is "progressing" and yes, I am pointing at progressives, too far and too fast. Remember when... I can remember when there were actually morals in this country. When people actually cared for their neighbors or when abortion was considered an evil and (except for by a very few) not a necessity. Things were so different when I was a kid. Somethings have changed for the better but others have gotten much worse.

My concern is that by opening the doors to torturing accused terrorists today, tomorrow we will not be discussing the morality of torturing foreign terrorist, but we will be discussing the morality of torturing say a civil rights leader here in America because he may know of some illegal activities involved in his movement.

If you look back at the changes of the last 50 years, how can you not think that things are going from bad to worse?

Immie