Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The four dogs and convience store shopping are the parts that get me....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    The whole point of capitalist systems is you dont have to remain poor.
    Not what I said. I said the system needs the poor in order to work. Without them it wouldn't...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Roomy, if I ever do it will because of my own actions. I wouldnt expect the government to bail me out.

You see I like freedom. And you arent free if you have to depend on others to get the things you want.

Sometimes a kind word and a little charity go a long way mate, a harsh word can cripple a body, try to bear it in mind when making carte blanche statements and assumptions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
    Sometimes a kind word and a little charity go a long way mate, a harsh word can cripple a body, try to bear it in mind when making carte blanche statements and assumptions.
    ya know what...the old schoolyard rhyme works best in any situation: Sticks & Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
    In short: Grow a spine, get a helmet, and get to work!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Roomy, the whole point is that the article is written so that you'll feel sorry for someone who has six kids (who get free meals five days a week), four dogs, and has a live-in babysitter, yet won't get off her ass long enough to clean her house, apply for public assistance housing, get her child support adjusted correctly, or go to the supermarket instead of the convenience store to buy groceries so she can buy more food. I don't feel particularly sorry for her, since she's made the choices to put herself in this situation. I would certainly try to help her improve her lot in life, but given her choices so far, I don't know that she would accept it.
    Actually, I don't know what the point of the article was because of the running commentary. Now, I may have drawn some of the same conclusions, but instead of being able to read the article and draw those conclusions, I was treated to an editorialized version.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I found myself unemployed many years ago with four small children a wife and a mortgage, I am thankful that the welfare state in britain is more forgiving than that here.<b>I worked my way out of the hole I found myself in</b>, some are never quite so fortunate.If this lady was not working at all and failing to contribute anything toward the upkeep of her family I might(might) agree with you depending upon the circumstances, as it is she goes to work, what is your problem other than the amount of kids she has?
    There, my dear, is the key. You worked your way out of it. You didn't continue to make stupid decision on top of stupid decision, and THAT is the key to overcoming obstacles.

Is there any logic that you can see to her having the 4 dogs?

She works 6 hour days - that leaves another 2-6 hours a day she could be working at a second job, or looking for a BETTER job. Obviously time with her kids isn't an issue, since the job she does have has her away from home when they're around, and at home when they're not.

Probably one of the only comments I disagree with Roo's take on is the hot dog comment. They're cheap as hell, so why not buy them? It DOES cost more money to make healthier food choices. But, going to an actual grocery store instead of a convenience store will offset some of that cost.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyKitten99 View Post
    ya know what...the old schoolyard rhyme works best in any situation: Sticks & Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
    In short: Grow a spine, get a helmet, and get to work!
    You must be the breadwinner in your house?How does it feel?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Actually, I don't know what the point of the article was because of the running commentary. Now, I may have drawn some of the same conclusions, but instead of being able to read the article and draw those conclusions, I was treated to an editorialized version.
    The editorial was in blue - you don't have the ability to skip right over it and read the black and white portions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Idleness is the crime. Refusal to take responsibility. Being poor, hardly.

The whole point of capitalist systems is you dont have to remain poor.
    Sorry...hit edit instead of quote. Apologies.

Idleness isn't a crime. Don't you mean "sin"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    There, my dear, is the key. You worked your way out of it. You didn't continue to make stupid decision on top of stupid decision, and THAT is the key to overcoming obstacles.

Is there any logic that you can see to her having the 4 dogs?

She works 6 hour days - that leaves another 2-6 hours a day she could be working at a second job, or looking for a BETTER job. Obviously time with her kids isn't an issue, since the job she does have has her away from home when they're around, and at home when they're not.

Probably one of the only comments I disagree with Roo's take on is the hot dog comment. They're cheap as hell, so why not buy them? It DOES cost more money to make healthier food choices. But, going to an actual grocery store instead of a convenience store will offset some of that cost.
    I could parody roopuls thread and tear it to pieces, but I won't, I want everybodies words to stand as they are, hoping I never have to dredge them up and ram them into anyones face.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    The editorial was in blue - you don't have the ability to skip right over it and read the black and white portions?
    I did, obviously. But why should I? I can draw my own conclusions and don't need anyone spoon feeding me their opinion as I read. It was kind of like the old Kevin Neelon SNL character .. .what was he called? Sublimino man??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. I'd also like to add that everyone should consider that, there but for the grace of God go I. You can work your butt off, make life comfortable for yourself and your family, and then lose everything in a strong hurricane like the people on the gulf coast. Or, you could get laid off in the middle of a recession and have difficulty finding another job - any job (been there, done that, no fun).

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    What struck me was the interviewer's attitude. This woman has probably been told so many times, and from so many sources, that she has it rough... no wonder she believes it. It's people like the liberal media who keep her down under the guise of sympathy. It's disgusting. Like a rapist telling a woman he really loves her.
    You've nailed it, really. Somebody NEEDS to tell her 'Nobody is promised nor owed an easy life." If her ONE job can't pay her bills, she should get a second. Or third. This article describes a woman who probably isn't lazy - but who is expending energy inefficiently.

First thing - any child OF working age, SHOULD work.

Second thing - Go on a F'ing DIET. That'll save money

Third thing - Work more, hang out at homes 'less'. I can promise her kids will be better served by watching her struggle but provide, than by having her to snuggle.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    I did, obviously. But why should I? I can draw my own conclusions and don't need anyone spoon feeding me their opinion as I read. It was kind of like the old Kevin Neelon SNL character .. .what was he called? Sublimino man??
    Well, obviously, you managed to muddle your way through it without too much undue hardship, since you're still here, so.. what IS your take on it?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    I agree. I'd also like to add that everyone should consider that, there but for the grace of God go I. You can work your butt off, make life comfortable for yourself and your family, and then lose everything in a strong hurricane like the people on the gulf coast. Or, you could get laid off in the middle of a recession and have difficulty finding another job - any job (been there, done that, no fun).

That's only partially true. If I lost my job tomorrow, I'd have a good cry on Thursday. On Friday I'd start looking for work. Within a week or two I'd HAVE work - maybe not what I wanted to do, but something I 'could' do. My wife would also find employment. I bet between the two of us, doing odd-jobs even (Cleaning office buildings, delivering newspapers, etc) we could make as much or MORE than I do now, as the sole bread-winner. We'd definitely have to work HARDER...but again, nobody said life should be anything but hard.

Nobody lost 'everything' from the hurricane as long as they had their wits, their health, and proper motivation to FIX things.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.