Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I grew up with the draft. Although my father, brother and I all volunteered, brother and I both during the Veit Nam war, the draft was always there. I see nothing wrong with it and think we should have it now. Or military is far too small for the all the war they're expected to fight. It's my opinion that if Guard and Reserves are called to duty to fight in a war on foreign soil, we need to reenact the draft.
    I would definatly agree with this they need to restart the draft, however, the draft is extremely politically charged right now. Bare in mind that when you draft you get a bunch of people who dont want to be there and you loose your signed on the dotted line argument, which is the biggest argument troop handlers make when dealing with people who dont want to be there.
    Last edited by rppearso; 03-14-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    BTW pale rider, I spent 2 yrs in the national guard and 2 years in AFROTC enough to know alot of people in the military dont have it going on upstairs. I think this site needs some controls on the reputation, granted I have talked down about the militry hard but I have always backed it up, if people fail to recognize that its not my fault. basicly all you have to do is say me not like his opinion so me neg rep me not care about logic me just neg rep and flame and post ignorant one liners, its almost like shooting baby ducks in a bucket.
    Wow. Two years in the Guard and AFROTC.

The closest you came to reality was Army basic training; otherwise, you don't know shit and your comments qualify as nothing more than unsubstantiated specualtion.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guns, the best thing is to put RP on the ignore listing. Then everythime you see his name there is a factual comment next to it.

Several vets have tried to engage with him. Problem is he is mired in a world where his Mama tole him that he could be anything he wanted to be. When proven wrong, he snapped.
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Wow. Two years in the Guard and AFROTC.

The closest you came to reality was Army basic training; otherwise, you don't know shit and your comments qualify as nothing more than unsubstantiated specualtion.
    And basic training was absolute hell, and being in the guard was not that great either so why should I recommend joining the military to anyone, if you want to thats fine im just telling you I would not recommend it. I am not sure why I am getting flamed, I hated it and thats my opinion. That is why I said this OP should be renamed to you better encourage people to join and if not you better have a reason so good that even pegwin would agree, I thought this discussion board was about stating your opinion, not everyone is cut out for the military so why should everyone join. I think I am going to start a new thread regarding the draft, it would be interesting to see peoples opinions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

And basic training was absolute hell, and being in the guard was not that great either so why should I recommend joining the military to anyone, if you want to thats fine im just telling you I would not recommend it. I am not sure why I am getting flamed, I hated it and thats my opinion. That is why I said this OP should be renamed to you better encourage people to join and if not you better have a reason so good that even pegwin would agree, I thought this discussion board was about stating your opinion, not everyone is cut out for the military so why should everyone join. I think I am going to start a new thread regarding the draft, it would be interesting to see peoples opinions.
    I assume since you quoted me, that you are asking why *I* am flaming you; to which, I will respond with: WHAT flame?

I have not denied your opinion. In proper context, I agree wholeheartedly with the MSgt that if you're going to have an opinion against joining the military, it should be based on something a bit more substantial than your personal distaste for it.

I agree with your opinion that not everyone is cut out to be in the military, and I am certainly not making an argument that "everyone" should join.

Odd, my daughter says Army basic training is easier than being my daughter.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I assume since you quoted me, that you are asking why *I* am flaming you; to which, I will respond with: WHAT flame?

I have not denied your opinion. In proper context, I agree wholeheartedly with the MSgt that if you're going to have an opinion against joining the military, it should be based on something a bit more substantial than your personal distaste for it.

I agree with your opinion that not everyone is cut out to be in the military, and I am certainly not making an argument that "everyone" should join.

Odd, my daughter says Army basic training is easier than being my daughter.
    The flame remark was directed at many others regarding this tread. If you puruse through the thread you will see why I hated the military, it boils down to I did not like getting yelled at, sleep deprivation, etc etc which I consider hazing, if the same things were done at a fraterntiy it would be considered hazing and they would be thrown off campus, please keep in mind I am not debating the military's legal right to do what they do im just saying I was not willing to tolerate it and I dont think it makes me a bad person for quiting the military and getting out of my contract early, others may not think so but thats there opinion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The flame remark was directed at many others regarding this tread. If you puruse through the thread you will see why I hated the military, it boils down to I did not like getting yelled at, sleep deprivation, etc etc which I consider hazing, if the same things were done at a fraterntiy it would be considered hazing and they would be thrown off campus, please keep in mind I am not debating the military's legal right to do what they do im just saying I was not willing to tolerate it and I dont think it makes me a bad person for quiting the military and getting out of my contract early, others may not think so but thats there opinion.
    Curious.. What did you join for? What did you think would happen? That you'd wake up whenever convenient for you, and shuffle your way to a desk for a few hours, then sit down to a steak dinner?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

The fact that you, at the individual level, could not adapt to the military lifestyle is not, IMO, justification to hate the military itself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it's a slow day. So I unignored RP to see if he'd come round.

And basic training was absolute hell, and being in the guard was not that great either so why should I recommend joining the military to anyone, if you want to thats fine im just telling you I would not recommend it. Now, lookee here. You have made an opinion and defended it without insulting other folks. You should have taken that approach awile back.

I am not sure why I am getting flamed, I hated it and thats my opinion. That is why I said this OP should be renamed to you better encourage people to join and if not you better have a reason so good that even pegwin would agree, Heh. I like that. I have such an influence on you. You still don't get it.

I thought this discussion board was about stating your opinion, not everyone is cut out for the military so why should everyone join. I think I am going to start a new thread regarding the draft, it would be interesting to see peoples opinions. So long as you can make a point intelligently you might be surprised.
    The flame remark was directed at many others regarding this tread. If you puruse through the thread you will see why I hated the military, it boils down to I did not like getting yelled at, sleep deprivation, etc etc which I consider hazing, if the same things were done at a fraterntiy it would be considered hazing and they would be thrown off campus, It's not a fraternity. Apples and Oranges. I cannot believe that someone who claims to be an engineer and a powerlifter to boot had no idea what he was getting into.

please keep in mind I am not debating the military's legal right to do what they do im just saying I was not willing to tolerate it and I dont think it makes me a bad person for quiting the military and getting out of my contract early, others may not think so but thats there opinion. It doesn't automatically make you a bad person. It makes you a quitter.
    So how is everyone doing?
    I'm Phil -- 40 something heterosexual white male, fairly self sufficient, great with my kids, wed 29 years to the same woman, and I firmly believe that ones actions have logical consequences. How much more out the box can you get nowadays? -- MSgt of Marines (ret)