Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lani Massey Brown View Post
    It appears that anyone with a name change, misspelling or re-spelling, address change, and/or clerical error/correction could be the brunt of Florida’s “no-match no-vote” law. So add women to this list of Hispanics who sometimes use hyphenated surnames and African Americans who sometimes use non-traditional spellings. These groups just happen to form a united front and speak a collective voice.

But also consider Florida’s Secretary of State Kurt Browning who has been in office a year but has not figured out a solution to his procedures that disenfranchise 14,000 Florida residents. Next time it could be me ... it could even be ....
    Hi, welcome to the board.

I would imagine that just like IN they sent out letters and which mentioned the problem and how to solve it.

IN just recently sent out letters and for whatever reason I got a letter. All I had to do was go to a websight and put in my info.

It took me all of 5 minutes. People without computers need only go to the license branch or find a computer somewhere to use, maybe the library. This isn't hard to clear up. These people need to do a little less bitching and just comply with the law.

BTW I am neither black nor hispanic. WHY WAS I TARGETED?? Maybe they don't like women either, and my names not even hyphenated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manu1959 View Post
    so the system discriminates against hypenated names.....how is that targeting blacks and latins
    Ever heard a latino give their full name before? "Rodrigo-Pachito-Veningo-Burrito-Consuela-Conchito Laurez." Ever met a black guy named "Tron?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Judge throws out Florida voting law. Is this a further right wing conspiracy to distort and disallow the wills of the voters of Florida?

BY GARY FINEOUT
    gfineout@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE -- A federal judge ordered state election officials to stop enforcing a 2-year-old voter registration law, ruling Tuesday that there is already proof that the change put in place by the GOP-controlled Florida Legislature has resulted in ``actual harm to real individuals.''

About 14,000 people have not been able to register because of Florida's ''no match'' law that requires a citizen's name on a voter registration form be matched with a Social Security number or driver's license number. The law has been challenged by the NAACP and other groups that say the law unfairly blocks blacks and Hispanics from being able to register to vote.

Many of those who had their registration rejected since January 2006 when the law took effect are from South Florida. The groups that filed the lawsuit told the court that 35 percent are from Miami-Dade County and 8 percent from Broward.

U.S. District Judge Stephan Mickle rejected arguments from the state that the law is needed to deter possible voter fraud, pointing out that the state has not been able to prove that the 14,000 voters now in limbo engaged in voter fraud. He said the requirements put in place by Florida lawmakers apper to conflict with federal voting rights laws.

''The disenfranchisement, however unintentional, causes damage to the election system that cannot be repaired after the election has passed,'' Mickle wrote in the order.

Secretary of State Kurt Browning said in a statement that his office would immediately appeal the decision. ``I am disappointed in the court's ruling today which enjoins enforcement of the Florida law requiring verification of voter registration applicants. This law is perfectly consistent with the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) and in my view the Legislature appropriately enacted this important anti-fraud provision as part of Florida's Election Code.

''I also think it is is unwise to introduce such a major change in Florida's election procedures on the eve of Florida's Presidential Preference Primary and we will appeal immediately,'' he added.

The decision to block the state from enforcing the law comes at a critical time, since the deadline is approaching for people to register to vote in the Jan. 29 presidential primary election. Those who want to register to vote for the primary and the property tax amendment have until the end of the month.

Justin Levitt, an attorney for the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law helping with the lawsuit, hailed the ruling and said it should lead to the state clearing the way to place those 14,000 people on the voter rolls.

''We think it's a big win for the voters of Florida who have one fewer administrative hurdle and bureaucratic barrier in their way,'' Levitt said.

More: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/349183.html

And it really ain't even just begun?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yep, without voter fraud it be harder for Dems to win elections

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has never been and will never be, I hope, a greater voter fraud than the selection of 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    Yep, without voter fraud it be harder for Dems to win elections
    I'm doing all I can to get my locals legal, registered and voting. How about you?