Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fj1200 View Post
    Misread as in we weren't close then and we're not close now. I'm not a fan of later Buchanan but he was right in that clip. Although I'm not sure the later Buchanan would have agreed with his younger self.

An open-minded reading of recent history suggests that those countries who embrace liberalized international trade and economic liberties have their boats lifted and are exactly not enslaved or raped. If you want to talk about stealing of resources then look at despotic countries who sell off their natural resources for personal gain and keep their people poor. I'm sure we could name the same countries. Personally I could name a whole continent.

I'm all for sovereignty, decentralized power, and I'm super-pumped about the Constitution but global trade is going to lead to global institutions and corporations. With free trade agreements we're not signing away our sovereignty we're choosing to engage with the world for the benefits that comparative advantage brings to both sides. We are free to disengage with FTAs but if we don't then there are dispute mechanisms that we should abide by. Are all such agreements perfect? Of course not, they were made by man. But neither is the fear mongering that counters them. Is everything in capitalism perfect? Of course not, man is involved, but neither is anything better.
    So we have to give up some sovereignty & freedom in exchange for some financial prosperity?
    Sorry, but do we have a choice to say no? Since it's not anything like Imperialism or Dictatorship.

Also it seems to me the financial prosperity is very one sided.
    People like Klaus Swab, the head of the 'WORLD Economic Forum', have said outright that most people "will OWN NOTHING" but "be happy" somehow. Of Course he and a few UberRich will still have things. just not everyone else.
    For the rest of us it's not quite the economic prosperity you seem to be suggesting. Not exactly the American dream.
    And with NONE of the freedoms.

BTW they say to 'save the planet' most of us will have to eat bugs for protein... but we'll be happy.
    Live where they say, eat what they feed us, but we'll be "prosperous". just less freedoms... less say. no thanks.

Look FJ, I'm not sure what Economic libertarian Sci-Fi dream world you're imagining but it's not the one that those you're defending are planing and WORKING ON.

By the way, Is the ONLY way to raise all boats by freedom gouging and labor breaking international trade agreements?
    Somehow I don't think so.
    I'm not sure why you do.
    Last edited by revelarts; 05-13-2022 at 09:48 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16