Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
That's what I said when I first walked down the stairs and saw the disaster. My wife slept in the garage near the pumps as the storm started overnight and place was dry in the AM. Up and down monitoring things. An hour later and open the door to the basement - and well..... shit. Sometimes that's all you can say.

Told my wife not to bother but she wanted to be near the pumps to make sure they were turned on and off if it didn't happen on it's own (long story). Had no idea she slept there so don't yell at me!

I told her, you can't stop water. Not without a vault barrier surrounding our door. A door isn't the appropriate barrier to block a flood from entering the garage. And then 6 nches later and it's over the step into the basement. And worse, the sump pump in basement can only do so much. When the water gets THAT saturated and flooded back there, it works it's way underground and upward into the sump pump pit, and beats pump and overflows into the basement. Double whammy. And it all leads back to the "lake" of water that forms with massive rains and eventually the lawn says "no mas" and the basement says "come on in".

How's things by you Mr Mick? You hit the downtown area where I met you ever at all? Or not really your area?

You make your wife sleep in the basement?! Some day you need to tell me your secret...

Everything is good here, man. Fingers crossed it'll be another year without a hurricane (just knocked wood) - sixty one days to go...

We go downtown occasionally, usually when we have people visiting or we're going to a show at the Charleston Music Hall, in fact we're going down to see Post Modern Jukebox the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Mostly we stick middle and upper King Street, where a couple three of out favorite eateries are... the best BBQ in town, a New Mexico style restaurant, and a very good local brewery. Come on down, we'll go... that goes for any of you... well, most of you anyway...