Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Maybe not the Generals but I'd say I am smarter than the people that are currently telling them what to do. The generals take orders and do as they are told and do a damned good job with what they have as well.

Immie
What that tells me is you've never been around senior executives or leaders. I've sat 2 feet from 3-star Generals and heard them talk about strategy and war fighting and planning and training. The level of expertise generally required to get to that level is ASTOUNDING. I know many Majors who retire because they won't get promoted - one of whom is now a contractor on post. This guy would pwn ANYBODY I've met when it comes to discussing the operational Army.

My point is this - at least in the Army - to rise to the level of Colonel or General takes unparalleled leadership, dedication, knowledge of not only how to USE a fighting force, but how to deploy, maintain, sustain, administer, and re-deploy thousands of "20-year-olds-with-weapons".

To see people on a forum claim intellectual superiority to some of our finest (however humanly-flawed) military minds is nauseating.

Look - you have to admit - the simple truth is you AREN'T more-capable or you'd be doing it. If you were as smart or capable as you say, you absolutely would be making a LOT of money DOING it - not simply bragging about it on a forum.

KnowwhatImean?

[edit]
I want to address a misconception. Your statement "Generals take orders" is FAIRLY wrong.

Most of the time it works like this:

The head-guy or gal asks his/her subordinates for THEIR plan to accomplish a task. The subordinates' staffs work night and day drafting a 'how-to' plan. Later, the subordinates take their plans to the boss. The boss reviews the plans and shoots holes in it, which have to be fixed. After they are fixed, the boss gives the 'order' to execute.

The way you're describing it is some autonomous oder-making robot sits isolated in a room and spits out direction. By the time a 3-star, or even a Colonel gets an 'order', he/she's has PLENTY of chances for input. Most of the time.