Quote Originally Posted by manfrommaine View Post
I think that the tactical gains of the US military are laudable.

I have never doubted the abilities or the commitment of our troops to perform their missions. We will always prevail on the battlefields of Iraq because we are and always will be the superior fighting force.

I have always doubted the abilities of the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds who live in the artificially created "country" we call Iraq to put aside their millennia old enmity and forge a multicultural Jeffersonian democracy. I would suggest that the sectarian violence that has recently started to percolate again is an indication that my doubts may be justified.
I'll address your third paragraph... it makes no sense in the context of the recent violence... the recent violence is associated with Shiite element supported by Iran against other Shiites and not against Sunni's or Kurds. These violent gangs are being dealt with as we would deal with a like sized gang in LA backed by Mexico. The government is dealing with the criminal element and continued interference from Iran will result in war with Iran. The gangs would not exist without Iranian support.